Disconnect Box remote reset?

Started by jlauffer, March 12, 2017, 02:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jlauffer

Hello all...just joined here and have a nuisance tripping issue with my system.  We live in MA, and our system was installed in 2014 through Next Step Living, which went out of business in 2016, so we're basically on our own now.  We have (17) 300W panels, with a MNPV8HV-DLTL-4X disconnect box, and Sunny Boy 5000TL inverter.  House is 2-story colonial.

The nuisance tripping problem seemed to be related to the Rapid Shutdown birdhouse thing.  The first couple times it tripped, we called NSL and they sent someone out to reset it, so no big deal, but since they went out of business it has tripped a few more times and I had to go up there and reset it myself.  The first time I went up there, I was surprised to find an open conduit hole on the side of the disconnect box, which I plugged as best I could.  No idea how long it was like that, as we had some other issues with the system so workers had been out here up until just before NSL went out of business, but certainly some water probably got in there.

Anyway, when it tripped again and I went up there to reset it, I disconnected the wires from the MNPSB board that actually trip the breakers, and everything was fine for about 8 months...thought I was all set.  But then a couple days ago I noticed the Solar Off amber light on again, so now really wondering what the heck is going on.  With it still being winter-ish weather, will be a while till I can get up there again.  But what I'd really like to do is figure out a way to be able to more easily reset the disconnect box, either from the ground, or from the top of the ladder...trying to avoid having to go on the roof.  Has anyone come up with something to do this?  I could deal with the nuisance tripping if there was a simple way to reset it that didn't involve going up on the roof.

ClassicCrazy

I am not too familiar with that product so just looked through the manual .
Maybe one trip is a nuisance but if it keeps tripping there is something going on.
Not sure of your skill level but if you don't feel capable of digging in you should probably call an electrician to check it out. They wouldn't necessarily have to be a  solar electrician but of course someone in the solar trade is probably more familiar.

Basically if it was mine I would be checking all the wiring and connections between the  ground and roof unit for tight connections or corrosion if water got in there. That would mean the cat 5 wires too.   They could also check to make sure it was wired up correctly in the first place.

You could also call Midnite tech support or email  and ask for suggestions .

Here is the owners manual if you haven't seen it already.
http://www.midnitesolar.com/pdfs/BIRDHOUSE_MANUAL.pdf

Larry 
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

CDN-VT

Quote from: jlauffer on March 12, 2017, 02:55:15 PM
Hello all...just joined here and have a nuisance tripping issue with my system.  We live in MA, and our system was installed in 2014 through Next Step Living, which went out of business in 2016, so we're basically on our own now.  We have (17) 300W panels, with a MNPV8HV-DLTL-4X disconnect box, and Sunny Boy 5000TL inverter.  House is 2-story colonial.

The nuisance tripping problem seemed to be related to the Rapid Shutdown birdhouse thing.  The first couple times it tripped, we called NSL and they sent someone out to reset it, so no big deal, but since they went out of business it has tripped a few more times and I had to go up there and reset it myself.  The first time I went up there, I was surprised to find an open conduit hole on the side of the disconnect box, which I plugged as best I could.  No idea how long it was like that, as we had some other issues with the system so workers had been out here up until just before NSL went out of business, but certainly some water probably got in there.

Anyway, when it tripped again and I went up there to reset it, I disconnected the wires from the MNPSB board that actually trip the breakers, and everything was fine for about 8 months...thought I was all set.  But then a couple days ago I noticed the Solar Off amber light on again, so now really wondering what the heck is going on.  With it still being winter-ish weather, will be a while till I can get up there again.  But what I'd really like to do is figure out a way to be able to more easily reset the disconnect box, either from the ground, or from the top of the ladder...trying to avoid having to go on the roof.  Has anyone come up with something to do this?  I could deal with the nuisance tripping if there was a simple way to reset it that didn't involve going up on the roof.

Take Pictures !!! Post here , Resize & compress (old funky software ) post the type first & then edit in the pictures . We all want to help .

VT
Canadian Solar 350W 37.6 VOC  30.6 VMP 8.22 ISC 7.87 IMP ,-15 c +30c max  4 strings in 2 in Series for 24v Classic 150 -1020 Ah  Freezers & fridges ~~~ Second Array same panels of 3sx3 parallel for 24 V Classic 150 -440 Ah Outback Barns & out blds.
48Vdc almost done,11Strings up of 3s11P same panels

Halfcrazy

Well if there was a hole in the box, and water got in, all bets are off. These systems should not nuisance trip. My guess is the circuit board got real wet and caused it to trip. As others have said I would get an electrician and have him call our tech support 360 403 7207
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

jlauffer

Thanks guys...attached a couple pics.  I have been in contact with one of the techs that previously did some work on my system through NSL, and I have been reaching out to local solar companies to see if I can find someone willing to work on my system.  If anyone can recommend a person or company in MA (or in RI that also serves MA) that I could contact please let me know.

As I mentioned, I disconnected the wires from the MNPSB board that actually send the trip signal to the breakers, so even if there is an issue with that board (due to water, etc), it shouldn't be able to trip the breakers.  So if they have tripped again, I would think it is either an actual overload, or the disconnect switch lever actually got moved to the Off position somehow.

However, I just checked the Locus Energy website that does the monitoring, and it is showing 26kWh for Thurs, zero for Fri (there was a snowstorm), 1kWh for Sat (Sat night is when we noticed the Solar Off light), 7kWh for Sun, and 1kWh so far today.  Would think if this event happened sometime Fri or Sat, it would be showing zero for Sun and Mon...so maybe only one breaker tripped?

EDIT: Ok, so the plot thickens...got home from work a bit ago and checked the birdhouse and the green Solar On light is back on (I checked this morning and it was still Off).  Also checked the Locus site again and it is showing 25kWh production for today.  So either the system came back on by itself somehow, or it was never actually off and maybe the birdhouse lights are going flaky.  Weird.... 

mike90045

if a breaker "trips" from overcurrent, it's lever often rests in mid-position, and will click, if you move it fully to OFF.
http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar

Classic 200| 2Kw PV, 160Voc | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph )| Listeroid 6/1, st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | midnight ePanel & 4 SPDs | 48V, 800A NiFe battery bank | MS-TS-MPPT60 w/3Kw PV

Halfcrazy

The switch in the combiner is not a breaker so it will not trip from current and for sure would not reset itself, I will guess that the circuit board is wet and is getting false readings some how
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time