Oversizing KID and Limit with AmpLmt?

Started by pmaril, April 21, 2017, 12:16:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dgd

Quote from: WizBandit on June 02, 2017, 07:35:45 PM

Actually the KID is now "Feature Locked" with the final addition of Logging & Auto EQ.
Most of the SYNC Mode bugs have been fixed with the addition of some LED indicators, re-purposing the 2WK LED and ERROR LED.
Most if not all previous issues should now be fixed in FW 1856.

Mario is very involved with developing charge controller modules for the MNB17 Inverter system.  Any KID features questions can be directed to me.

Thanks for your reply.
As Larry asked the questions that Mario never answered were mostly related to the use of the serial port and how to extract data and exactly what data items were available. There seemed to be many missing such as WBjr data values. Also Mario's explanation of the Comms protocol and the use/calculation of crc was not very clear. 
There was also some feedback from MN that the current limit set at 30a could be reprogrammed for up to 40a as apparently some customer had requested this and it was being worked on. Is this now available in a firmware release?
Also what happened to the Wind version of the Kid? And the associated Kid Clipper. It's been over 2 years since this was due to be released and the release date came and went with no further info.
Last, there was a new deeper surface mounting for the Kid that was to incorporate better sized power connectors and possible Aux connections? What happened to this?
Thanks for your assistance with these questions
Dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand

ClassicCrazy

dgd -
thought you might be interested in this alternative to clipper by  someone in my area 
http://www.windsine.org/2017/05/28/windtac-controller/

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

Sunshine

The wind version of the Kid is still kicking around in the attic over here, hopefully for eventual release. Mario has been busy at work on the new inverters so work on the Kid slowed down a bit. We do have the new, larger wall mount bracket available and it is shipping out with all new Kids. I have a meeting with Mario tomorrow, I will ask about that 40 amp thing, I do recall hearing something about it in the past but I don't remember what came of it.
http://www.midnitesolar.com/productPhoto.php?product_ID=662&productCatName=Charge%20Controllers%20-%20KID&productCat_ID=43&sortOrder=1&act=pc

CDN-VT

Quote from: tecnodave on April 26, 2017, 08:30:04 PM
Pmaril.

In my experience with both the Kid and the Classic 4 panels wired 2 in series will have a input voltage of 60-70 volts where 3 in series at 105-110 volts ,the configuration with higher input voltage will cause more heating even though the 4 panels have more total power, it's the higher voltage difference between battery out volts verses p.v. Input that causes more heating so I do not use 3 panels in series on 24 volt systems. Too much voltage difference.

For a while I had 2 classics side by side , one had 12 Sharp NE-170's wired 3 series 4 banks parallel , the other system had the same 12 Sharp NE-170's wired 2 in series 6 banks parallel (due to a longer run to the second array) , the system with 3 in series the fans were constantly running where the system with 2 in series the fans rarely ran. I felt that I was cooking my classic. I changed the configuration to be 2S 6P on system 1 and walla! cooler and fans not constantly running......especially when in a absorb whn the voltage rises due to the panels being loaded less,  lost a bit more power in the wire run (170 feet) but extended the service life of the Classic

I am very seriously over paneled for most situations but being so close to the Pacific Ocean, I do have some seriously cloudy/foggy weather sometimes for weeks!  Sunny days I'm in absorb by 9:30-10 am and floating way before noon.  Foggy days I always get to float even when I can't locate the sun position in the sky through the cloud cover. 

Lesson learned, try to keep the voltage ratio lower, system life will be longer!

Dave

Canadian Solar 350W 37.6 VOC  30.6 VMP 8.22 ISC 7.87 IMP ,-15 c +30c max  4 strings in 2 in Series for 24v Classic 150 -1020 Ah  Freezers & fridges ~~~ Second Array same panels of 3sx3 parallel for 24 V Classic 150 -440 Ah Outback Barns & out blds.
48Vdc almost done,11Strings up of 3s11P same panels

dgd

Quote from: Sunshine on June 14, 2017, 07:04:47 PM
... I have a meeting with Mario tomorrow, I will ask about that 40 amp thing, I do recall hearing something about it in the past but I don't remember what came of it.

Just wondering how your meeting went. Anything about the KID and increasing the amp limit to 40? Did the customer who wanted the 40A get a version of firmware to enable this? and if so is this firmware available for those (me) who want to experiment?

dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand

Sunshine

Because of the ETL listing we can't change the power ratings on the KID, so it is stuck at 30a output. They tend to be picky about such things. At least at 30a output you are not overworking the CC, although knowing it has capabilities that can't be used is understandably frustrating.

CDN-VT

Quote from: Sunshine on August 30, 2017, 01:44:03 PM
Because of the ETL listing we can't change the power ratings on the KID, so it is stuck at 30a output. They tend to be picky about such things. At least at 30a output you are not overworking the CC, although knowing it has capabilities that can't be used is understandably frustrating.

I had my Kid leak a CAP out . was repaired @ the Midnite plant by Mr S  who tested it & had 40 Amp fuses in it when he tested it to max output .

VT
Canadian Solar 350W 37.6 VOC  30.6 VMP 8.22 ISC 7.87 IMP ,-15 c +30c max  4 strings in 2 in Series for 24v Classic 150 -1020 Ah  Freezers & fridges ~~~ Second Array same panels of 3sx3 parallel for 24 V Classic 150 -440 Ah Outback Barns & out blds.
48Vdc almost done,11Strings up of 3s11P same panels

ClassicCrazy

Quote from: Sunshine on August 30, 2017, 01:44:03 PM

Guess you are going to have to hack it dgd !
Easier to have the firmware do it for sure .  Wonder if there is a way to get at sensing shunt and have the present firmware think it is putting out less power than it is ? ( yeah would void warranty I am sure )

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

Highflyer

The kid has done 40 amps in Beta.  Wish it could do more than the 30 amp limit, but as said above, Certs are Certs.

Brian

The one thing is the one thing