Can I communicate with two Classic 150's with "follow me" via single ethernet?

Started by clturner22, April 24, 2017, 10:13:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clturner22

I'm commissioning a pair of Classic 150s and it would be a pain to run two separate ethernet cables or install another (power consuming!) ethernet switch to put both on the network.

Since the two units are talking to each other via "follow me", is there a way that, via the ethernet on ONE of the units, to remotely talk to both - since they are talking to each other, anyway?  Nothing seems to jump out at me in the manual, or on the computer 'app about this being possible.

Thanks,

-C

Westbranch

Get a router that can also be programmed as a bridge, no HUB or SWITCH needed. As each Classic has its own STATIC IP you need to ''talk'' to each separately.
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

keithwhare

I have an inexpensive TP-Link switch (TL-SF1005D, $10 on Amazon) that I plan to use for the two Classic 150s I'm installing next week. The power supply claims to be 100-240 volts, 50-60 hertz, 0.3 amps. I have not measured its actually usage yet. The network ports in the Classics are only 10/100 so you don't need a gigabit switch.

As far as I can tell, you do need network cables for each Classic in order to use the Local App. What you do with the network depends a lot on what other networking you already have in place. In my case, there is already a network port for the Magnum inverter, so I need a switch anyhow.

Keith

Resthome

Some of the newer Netgear switches have power saving features and switch off or lower power to unused ports on the switch. If both Classics are close together you can put the switch there and run two short Ethernet cables from each Classic and use your existing Ethernet cable to run to your router or whatever other networking equipment you have installed. You need a router to server DHCP and issue IPs unless you use static IPs on all devices and have no connection to the Internet.
John

10 x Kyocera KC140, Classic 150 w/WBJr, Link10 Battery Monitor, 850 AH @ 12v Solar One 2v cells, Xantrex PROwatt SW2000
Off Grid on Houseboat Lake Don Pedro, CA

clturner22

Thank you!

After writing this we pretty much decided to just install a simple (low power) switch with the equipment (I have one lying around). Both Classics would then run to the switch (along with the Inverter, etc.) then just dump output to the rest of the network.

Simple and easy!

I guess an offshoot question, what other apps are people using other than the Local Console to view and capture/track their data?

Westbranch

To view the input/output I really like Grahams Android version of the L App... so does the BOSS of the house.
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

Resthome

Quote from: Westbranch on April 26, 2017, 12:17:05 AM
To view the input/output I really like Grahams Android version of the L App... so does the BOSS of the house.

Ditto !

Since it's an Android app.  I run it on a Win 10 laptop using Blue Stacks.  Only draw back with the Classic is you can only connect one app at a time. You can not run them both together at the same time.
John

10 x Kyocera KC140, Classic 150 w/WBJr, Link10 Battery Monitor, 850 AH @ 12v Solar One 2v cells, Xantrex PROwatt SW2000

ClassicCrazy

I found Memu android emulator for Windows better than Bluestacks to run Grahams android Classic App.
Of course if you have android phone or tablet you can just use Grahams Classic  wireless to router and it will find both Classics on network.
I still find myself using Midnite Local Status App more often because it is easy to run on Window computer I have on and don't have to run Android emulator - but Grahams Classic app is far superior in graphics - but it is for viewing only - you need Local Status app to make changes to parameters in Classic. Also use Local Status App to save setup so if / when you do firmware update to Classics you can easily restore all the settings without having to go through all the menu's .

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

clturner22

Thanks!

You guys rock! Hadn't even considered an Android emulator yet. I'm going to build an IoT app for this (good for the resume, business, and it's just what I do...). But this is a necessity in the meantime and I don't always want to be glancing at my phone.

And I still need to forward a port so I can view it externally (and get the data out and into the interwebs).

But first...get both Classics talking to the network as individual units (they're talking to each other just fine, but I need to switch them over so I can see both of them.

Need to ask Midnight Solar if this is something to put into a Feature Request.

-C

Resthome

I think MidNite's long range plan is to create an add on box that will act as a web server to talk to their devices. When and if we will ever see it is the question. I think they are concentrating on the new modular inverters and new modular CC for now.
John