KiD: Sync Mode, Twin Mode & WBJR - Take Note/Warning/Caution - My Problem Solved

Started by pobox88, April 30, 2017, 12:22:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pobox88

Finally got my 2 KiDs working in Sync mode, and both KiDs charging together and no more resting by the MASTER.

I finally found the cause of my problems:

Both my Kids are initially set up in SYNC MODE, the MASTER AUX set to WBJR and the SLAVE AUX set to OFF (i.e. to use the KiD internal shunt)

... HOWEVER ... When the KiDs have power disconnected (e.g. battery maintenance) :- 

The KiDs DO NOT wake in SYNC MODE - they instead, wake up in TWIN MODE
The SLAVE KiD sets its AUX to WBJR - instead of using the internal shunt by setting AUX to OFF

When power is re-established, the MASTER and SLAVE need to be set to SYNC MODE and the SLAVE needs to set it's AUX to OFF.
2 x KiD, 12 x REC 235W Ser./Par.
(installed as 2 identical systems)
Victron Multi 5000, 1 x Whizzbang, 1 x BMV702
US Battery (x16) Flooded 48V 464A bank

ClassicCrazy

Good to hear you finally figured out the problem - thanks for sharing the solution which might save someone else a lot of trouble.

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

WizBandit

SYNC prior to FW1856 had some real issues, mostly caused from ENDAMPS not being able to be set to 0.0A.
FW1856 has fixed all the SYNC MODE issues including the issue where SYNC MODE was not being saved.  It is now.
FW1856 now shows "M" & "S" on the LCD

Setting up SYNC Mode requires both KIDs to be factory reset together, the first one you touch will become the MASTER.
All the settings set here will be sent to the SLAVE, all you need to do is press the RIGHT ARROW on the SLAVE to verify the settings were sent, at the end you will see "Saving Data"

Also, the SYNC cable needs to be connected to the MASTER JACKS of both KIDs.

pobox88

Thanks WizBandit.

However, another note of CAUTION/WARNING :

Not all settings are sent from the MASTER to the SLAVE, e.g. the SLAVE setting for BATTERY current has to be set via the LOAD MENU and this
is a unique per KiD setting.

After entering all the values, I now check both KiDs side by side and at the same time.  I run through all the menus and compare the values for each setting, on both KiDs to verify
both KiDs have the appropriate values/settings.
2 x KiD, 12 x REC 235W Ser./Par.
(installed as 2 identical systems)
Victron Multi 5000, 1 x Whizzbang, 1 x BMV702
US Battery (x16) Flooded 48V 464A bank