Using Mymidnite and related software vs. using SMA's software

Started by krementz, May 02, 2017, 05:12:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

krementz

I have two Classic 150s powering my SMA 6048 inverters. The SMA software is dated and a bit clunky, but I can see and set essentially all the Classics variables and data.

Question 1) Can I hook up the Classics with ethernet if they are already talking to the SMAs? I tried it and was not successful, but I don't know if it was user ignorance/error or simply not possible. The Classics are in "SMA mode".

Question 2) Is there any advantage to using Midnite software in addition to the SMA software?

TIA,
Rick
Way off grid
Old system: Outback 2524, 1200 W PV,  installed 2005, 384 amp hours
New System: 2 SMA 6048 with 2 Midnite Solar Classic 150 controllers, 5500 W PV, 1700 amp hours

WizBandit

SMA Mode just uses serial MODBUS to access the Classics.  The ethernet should work just fine, connect each Classic to a router with DHCP capabilities, download and install the Local App and you should be good to go.

krementz

Thanks, I'll try it again next time I'm there.

Any comments on software comparisons? I assume I should use the SMA software for making changes, but for viewing?
Way off grid
Old system: Outback 2524, 1200 W PV,  installed 2005, 384 amp hours
New System: 2 SMA 6048 with 2 Midnite Solar Classic 150 controllers, 5500 W PV, 1700 amp hours

ClassicCrazy

With the Classic Local Status App  if  you have the Whizbang installed you will be able to see how much power is going into the battery , and how much power is going to the loads - and if your inverter is the only load then you know how much  power it is drawing.

If you use Grahams Classic Android app you will have the best graphic view of all the power and  many of the graphics you can toggle between amps and watts. If you don't have an Android you can get Android Emulator for Windows computer - I use one called Memu that works well. You can find his app on the Playstore .  There is more info on the forums about this app.
http://midniteftp.com/forum/index.php?topic=1589.0

Mymidnite is useful too for looking at history when you haven't had the two above apps running.

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable