midnite classic not known to ME-ARC as PT

Started by HBH, May 05, 2017, 10:16:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HBH

I am using midnite classic charge controller with ME-ARC. The ME-ARC knows about the BMK, but shows "No PT present". Did my installer miss a connection from the midnite? should I be able to control both the BMK and PT? Thanks, I appreciate. HB

Vic

Hi HBH,   Welcome to the Forum.

Using my Decoder Ring,   think that you are Using a Magnum Energy Inverter,  the BMK  (some Battery Monitoring device,  IIRC),   and the Advanced Remote Controller for your almost all Magnum system.   You are NOT using the Magnum PT Charge Controller (CC) ...

Personally,   I know of no widget which will allow communication with and control of any devices which are not made by and for the Magnum system.

It is quite common when using Solar electronic hardware from differing manufacturers within a single system,   that none of the foreign devices know how communicate command/control signals between the differing brands.

Perhaps your Installer can give some guidance.

I do not use Magnum Energy products ...

Good Luck,    Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

HBH

Vic,
Thanks for your response, and lucky for me you have a decoder ring. I am an extreme newby and appreciate all the help you and the forum have for me.
Yes, mostly Magnum Dimensions - MS-PAE Inverter / Charger in mini Magnum Panel with ME-ARC remote and BMK. Midnite Classic 200.
My installer is no longer in this business. The first time I tried to initiate the EQ from the ME-ARC, it did not start the EQ, and I use the Midnite Classic controls to do manual EQ on and off.

Now I am trying to learn enough about the system and components to form coherent questions.

Again, thanks
HBH

boB

What you can do is to make sure that the Classic will put out all that it can when you command the Magnum inverter to
EQ and absorb and Float, etc...

Since you want the solar to do all the work that it can and not run off the grid, (if you are connected to the grid),
adjust the Classic's voltage settings (EQ, Absorb, Float) to one or two tenths of a volt above the Magnum's settings.
This will help ensure that the Classic and its solar are trying to pull the battery voltage up as much as it can
so less current comes from the Magnum inverter.

No communications device that I am aware of that communicates to different maufacturer's products right now.
It IS actually possible and not all that hard to do, it's just that nobody has done it "yet".

There are a few people out here that can do it if they wanted to take the time. It would be a pretty neat
product at that !

There is one piece of software that can pretty much coordinate between MidNite and Outback Power
equipment though from Karl, n1gnn   Unfortunately it won't help you in this case.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

HBH

boB,

Thanks for this additional info. Yes, running solar with grid backup.

You said when I "command the Magnum inverter to EQ and absorb and Float, etc..."  I had thought that the Classic controlled the EQ, absorb, float, etc. I cannot initiate the EQ through the Magnum mini panel.

I do plan to compare the voltage settings, per your suggestions. Please, would something out sync with inverter settings VS Classic setting cause a LOW BATTERY fault? I am getting these faults even though the voltage on both components  is showing > 44.

I appreciate.
HB

Vic

Hi HB,

First,   there are at least two charge sources on your system  --  the Classic,  and the charger built into the Magnum inverter.   Each of these will have its own settings for voltages,  currents,   etc.

The Magnum Remote panel should allow setting of all of the charge parameters.

Also,  44 volts is a VERY low voltage for a 48 volt Flooded battery bank,   particularly if you are seeing this Low Battery Fault when there  is not a heavy current demand on the battery.

Please tell us what brand and model number of your batteries,   and,   what are your charge settings in the Classic and the Magnum inverter for Absorb and Float voltage,   and Absorb time,   or End Amps settings.

More later,   Thanks,   Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.

mike90045

When the inverter reports low voltage, and the batteries do not reflect that, start looking for some resistance in the inverter wiring.  Loose fuse in a fuse block, connection bolt.  sometimes a IR Thermometer can help you spot something.
http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar

Classic 200| 2Kw PV, 160Voc | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph )| Listeroid 6/1, st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | midnight ePanel & 4 SPDs | 48V, 800A NiFe battery bank | MS-TS-MPPT60 w/3Kw PV

krementz

While it does not help the OP, SMA inverters and Midnite Solar play nice and communicate well together.
Way off grid
Old system: Outback 2524, 1200 W PV,  installed 2005, 384 amp hours
New System: 2 SMA 6048 with 2 Midnite Solar Classic 150 controllers, 5500 W PV, 1700 amp hours

HBH

Vic, below are the details. 44 volts is not common for me to see, but I have set that for the low battery cutout. Current demand on the batteries is from household lights and electronics, two fridges and a chest freezer, washer, and well water pump (the only 2pole connection).

Batteries Crown 6p5525 RE  (6 volt, 395 Ah)  8 of these, less than 2 years old

Classic charge settings (Earlier I said Classic 200, but my invoice has Classic 150)
Absorb                  57.2v
Float                     54.4v
Absorb time   
End Amps settings    .1 ??

Magnum inverter
Absorb                  57.6v
Float                     52.8v
Absorb SOC          100%   
End Amps settings.

Mike, I appreciate your comments, too, and will take a look. Actually the inverter and BMK do not report low voltage, just the fault message does.

HB

Vic

Hi HB,   thanks for the info on your settings.

In a quick search,   was not certain that your battery was found ...   did find this:
http://www.crownbattery.com/hubfs/Brochures/Deep_Cycle_Battery_Product_Suport_Brochure.pdf?t=1493068448567

Since your batteries appear to be Flooded Lead Acid (FLA),   using your good quality Hydrometer will help you dial-in  the Absorb voltage,   time,   and EA.  Shunt EA is very useful on the Classic,   if you also have the MidNite WhizBang Jr installed.

If you were saying that the EA setting in the Classic is 0.1 Amps,   would expect that the charge current (with the WbJR.),   or the CC output current in Absorb would ever get down to this low value.   In this case,   the Absorb time setting in the Classic would be the factor that would end Absorb.

Coordinating the Inverter charge settings with the Classic really depends upon how you are using the Grid  (you noted Grid Backup),   so guess that you are not selling to the Grid,  but use your solar system as a backup to the Grid ...

When you would want the Classic to dominate battery charging,   and supplying the local loads,   you would want its Absorb and Float voltages to be slightly higher than the settings in the inverter  ...   but,   I am not familiar with just how the Magnum inverter deals with a backup system.

FWIW,   Back to a project,    Vic

HBH

Vic,

Thanks for the additional info. The solar is primary for most household power, using the grid as needed to keep the batteries at a good level and for heavy use appliances.

I will work with my good quality hydrometer and will review the system's settings, trying to digest a lot of good information from you and others.

I appreciate.
HB

Vic

Hi HB,  OK,  Thanks for the reply.

You may well be familiar with measuring SGs with a Hydrometer,  but the following article from Surrette,  is fairly complete,   and believe that the SOC vs SG reading Table may well apply to your batteries,   as believe that the target SG for your batteries is the same nominal as used in Surrette Solar batteries:

http://support.rollsbattery.com/support/solutions/articles/4347-measuring-specific-gravity

Please let us know how you are doing.   Thanks,   Vic

HBH

Vic, I should have time this weekend to work with batteries and Hydrometer. Meanwhile, another clue to the low battery faults is this....... I turned on the Midnite CC ARC protection and started getting ARC faults, rather than low battery faults.

mike90045 suggested I look for some resistance in the inverter wiring, and I plan to do this.

Thanks
HB