Should I bet on the near term future of battery technology?

Started by openplanet, May 09, 2017, 04:02:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

openplanet

I need to purchase a new 48 volt battery bank.  Intend to buy 8, 6-volt batteries in the 350ah range.  If quality and longevity were my highest priority (which they might be) I'd buy Rolls.  But my question is this: Given the blazing pace of change in battery technology, would it be smarter to go with the cheapest possible solution that'll get me through a couple years, on the assumption that at that point there will almost certainly be more cost-effective options.

Just interested to know people's thoughts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIANk7zQ05w

dbcollen

"Given the blazing pace of change in battery technology"..... That's very funny, the workhorse of battery storage is the lowly lead acid, basically unchanged for over 100 years.....

Westbranch

LiFe (Power Wall , LG Chem, etc) battery technology....

I just thought of an issue FLA has in spades and that is B. Bank expansion, ie adding more capacity after say 4 years due to increased/ing loads. with FLA it is a No-No...

I have not seen this issue addressed to date in the LiFe type batteries literature...

As these systems have essentially a separate additional bank to add with its own BMS etc there, theoretically, should not be any imbalance between banks, because each bank controls its own charge rate over the day, thus the problem of a different charge acceptance may be solved....????

thoughts?
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

RossW

3600W on 6 tracking arrays.
7200W on 2 fixed array.
Midnite Classic 150
Outback Flexmax FM80
16 x LiFePO4 600AH cells
16 x LiFePO4 300AH cells
Selectronics SP-PRO 481 5kW inverter