Adding non-tracked panels to system

Started by Tinman, November 07, 2011, 02:45:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tinman

I have 3 100 watt panels on a two axis tracker. Good power but I could use more. I will add another tracker but also want to add 3 panels that are tilted about 5-10 degrees that do not track.

Question: So long as the panels are voltage matched can I just add say 3 panels in series and parallel them at the combiner without mucking things up? The tracked panels will probably outperform the tilted panels except in the 11-1 time period during the summer. Just concerned about the tracked panels feeding back to the tilted panels.

The configuration would then be as follows:

3 100 watt panels in series - tracked
3 130 watt panels in series - tilted facing south but not tracked (stationary)

future - additional 3 100 watt panels in series - tracked.

All 3 series running to combiner down to Classic 150.

100 Watt panels are:

Voltage at Maximum Power Point Vmpp 17.7 V
Current at Maximum Power Point Impp 5.70 A
Open Circuit Voltage Voc 21.2 V
Short Circuit Current Isc 6.10 A

130 Watt panels are:

Vmpp 17.7 V
Impp 7.39A
Voc 21.9
Isc 8.02A

My thinking is that this should be okay since they are identical for the Vmmp and very close for the Voc. Each series will of course be branch protected by a breaker.

Correct?

Vic

IMHO,  the MPPT voltage of each set would generally be different,  due to tracking vs no tracking.   This would reduce your efficency.

You should really have one CC for tracked panels and another one for the fixed ones.

YMMV  Good Luck,  Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!