Using different triggers for on vs off on AUX2

Started by 2twisty, May 13, 2017, 12:42:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2twisty

I have a Classic 150.

I'd like to have the ability to turn AUX2 on when one criteria is met (like SOC <65) and then back off at a different trigger (like AMPS <2).

I'd like to be able to start my generator at a specified SOC and then turn it off when the batteries are ACTUALLY fully charged rather than when SOC reaches 100.

I don't like using voltage as a trigger, since loads can cause voltage drops making AUX2 turn on when it shouldn't..also, using voltage won't give me proper absorb time if I use it to turn AUX2 off.

Is this something that exists in a recent firmware (Im on one that's at least a year old) or could be added to an upcoming release?

dgd

Quote from: 2twisty on May 13, 2017, 12:42:34 PM
I'd like to be able to start my generator at a specified SOC and then turn it off when the batteries are ACTUALLY fully charged rather than when SOC reaches 100.

Ok, how would you determine when battery is ACTUALLY fully charged if not using SOC?
SOC at 100% after absorb completes based on ending amps is about the most accurate measure of a battery being fully charged we have available.

dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand

2twisty

Nope.  I used to trust that measurement.  And my batteries are suffering because of it.  I would run the generator based on SOC...but that's not accurate.  My batteries get to 100% SOC WAAAAAAAAAY before absorb voltage.  So I can only use the WBJr data as a guideline to know whether the power I've used (in kWh) has been replaced by either generator or solar.

Since the AUX trigger I use is designed to protect my batteries from getting too low, having something that charges to 100%SOC and NOT to when actual Amps going in only causes damage to the batteries.

I'd like to be able to say "When I've used X kWh from the batteries, charge them up until they have completed Absorb."  The current system doesn't allow that.

Vic

Quote from: 2twisty on May 21, 2017, 05:10:47 PM
   ...     My batteries get to 100% SOC WAAAAAAAAAY before absorb voltage   ...

If you are saying that the Classic/WbJr report that the batteries have reached 100% SOC in Bulk,   then it seems to me that the settings must be WAAAAAAAAAA....AAAYY  off,  IMO.

Forget just what batteries that you are using now,   but it would seem,  that the AH Efficiency setting may be tooooooooooooo    high,  perhaps.

My FLAs in their 13th year have an AH Efficiency somewhere in the seventy percent range.

AND Battery Monitoring devices are generally a rough guide on SOC.   And,   even AH returned to the battery has many variables,  which AH Counting schemes cannot account for ...

Just MHO.   Good Luck,   Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

dgd

Sorry 2twisty but I can't follow the logic of what you are saying.
It IS possible to fully charge a leadacid battery without reaching the ABSORB voltage,I see this from time to time where PV input in insufficient to raise battery voltage to Absorb but sufficient for BulkMPPT at a  lower amp rate. Eventually the Ah into the battery will fill it to 100% SOC.
I have tested my 18 year old FLA bank many times by checking the resting voltage when at 100% SOC and its always the same 25.4 volts no matter how the charging reached 100% SOC.
With LifePO4 cells the only method of controlling charge is by measuring Ah in and out since the battery voltage is the same over 80% of the SOC range.

Also how exactly do you determine your batteries are suffering?
Is your generator not capable of output voltage as high as the AbsorbV setting?

dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand

2twisty

Genny is connected to the VFX3648, and can charge my bank at 2400W.

Batteries are suffering because despite reaching "float" according to the Classic regularly, my SG readings are poor. 

The bank of 8 GC2s is 19 months old.  Rated AH for the bank is 208.  I have the Classic set to 200.

I thought that a FLA isn't "fully charged" until it reaches End Amps...?

My Classic will transition to float after several hours in absorb, and occasionally will get to End Amps.

Even in those situations, I can fire up the generator and the VFX will happily start charging the batteries at 2000W or more.  If the batteries are at end amps (or close) then the VFX should not be willing/able to charge them at 2000W for HOURS more.

Furthermore, when the classic reports float, my SGs are NOWHERE EVEN CLOSE to 1.260 or more.  They are more like 1.24.

NOTE: I am in the west texas desert, so my batteries do get quite hot. So lifespann is reduced greatly.  How you guys get 13 and 18 years out of them must be magical or something.

Westbranch

2Twisty, I believe from what you say one setting that could be off mark is the 'temp adjustment value and that you time limitation for ending Absorb is too short....
The only way to get your sgs up is longer absorb.

ps the answer to your last question is cold temps, the cooler the better, imho... :)
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

ClassicCrazy

I agree - if your SG readings are too low then you need to adjust a longer absorb time or lower the ending amps until you find the point where SOC gets to 100%  somewhat close to ending amps. 

But first if  your SG is low you would want to do equalizing to get all the cells up - and see if they all will come up and make sure none are sufated.

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable