PV Voltage and Charging

Started by RobertA, May 28, 2017, 03:19:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dgd

Quote from: Vic on May 31, 2017, 09:06:49 PM

Think that that AC = A/C=Air Conditioning (probably).

Alternating Current IS always mandatory!

Phew!  That's a relief, I was thinking my DC battery bank would have to be replaced with an AC bank
Thankfully I have plenty of air so conditioning it isnot an issue. Although I'm not sure how to condition the air before it hits my turbine blades. But it's an AC turbine too so that may be ok if it becomes mandatory...

Dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand

RobertA

Update and question:

It was cloudy all day yesterday so I thought I'd start from scratch. I shut down Whizbang and via my 65 amp inverter/charger, I ran a 3 hour EQ at higher 31v, then a charge/float all night at standard 27.6v. My SG is now up to 1277, which is higher than I've ever seen. A great starting point.

Question: Even without the Whizbang data the Classic can determine peak SOC? I say this because Classic is no longer charging batteries (346W on a 1700w day (sunny, not so hot)), even though it's set, and active, in absorb mode. That seems pretty cool, would someone explain?

I'll now turn Whizbang back on which should exit Classic from absorb mode and set tomorrow up for EA observations.

Edit:  With an obviously full battery EA has been sitting between 4-5 for almost 2 hours. 690ah*1% = 6.90 but it looks like an EA of 5 should work here.

Edit*2:  After re-setting EA to 5 and rebooting, Classic jumped into float mode almost immediately.  Leaving absorb time at 8hrs because I don't see any downside in doing so and, with Air Conditioner  soon running all day I'll not hit float mode again until late October (eat it, northerners  ;D)

ClassicCrazy

Quote from: RobertA on June 01, 2017, 12:44:55 PM
Update and question:

It was cloudy all day yesterday so I thought I'd start from scratch. I shut down Whizbang and via my 65 amp inverter/charger, I ran a 3 hour EQ at higher 31v, then a charge/float all night at standard 27.6v. My SG is now up to 1277, which is higher than I've ever seen. A great starting point.

Question: Even without the Whizbang data the Classic can determine peak SOC? I say this because Classic is no longer charging batteries (346W on a 1700w day (sunny, not so hot)), even though it's set, and active, in absorb mode. That seems pretty cool, would someone explain?

I'll now turn Whizbang back on which should exit Classic from absorb mode and set tomorrow up for EA observations.

Edit: Someone asked to see my settings. Here:  https://youtu.be/Auxsmqep71k

Edit, Edit:  With an obviously full battery EA has been sitting between 4-5 for almost 2 hours. 690ah*1% = 6.90 but it looks like an EA of 5 should work here.

Edit*3:  After re-setting EA to 5 and rebooting, Classic jumped into float mode almost immediately.  Leaving absorb time at 8hrs because I don't see any downside in doing so and, with Air Conditioner  soon running all day I'll not hit float mode again until late October (eat it, northerners  ;D)

What do you mean you shut down the Whizbang ?  It is just an amp monitor . 
I guess I don't understand what you are doing .
Your video link says it is not there any longer .

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

RobertA

I turned it off so EA would not interfere. It's back on now.

ClassicCrazy

Quote from: RobertA on June 02, 2017, 09:50:38 AM
I turned it off so EA would not interfere. It's back on now.

The whizbang being on or off will not interfere with anything. It just monitors the amps going in and out of the battery .
The way to turn ending amps on and off is to set it to zero and uncheck the box that say " Use WBjr for ending amps" .

But maybe that is what you mean . I am not sure if you mean  you go to the Config  menu for  AUX 2 and disable it there ?

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

RobertA

I realize that but didn't want to take any chances so I shut it down at AUX2. Anyway, I was able to determine proper EA which is what I sought to do.

Now to see if current settings return SG to peak level again.