Fahrenheit vs Celsius

Started by svencool, June 18, 2017, 02:57:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClassicCrazy

Just different languages , I am fluent in one and semi fluent in the other .
Interesting some of the points made in that article. For example if I talk to a friend in Australia and they ask me how far from a city I am located , I do say it is 2 hour drive instead of 90 miles because that gives a better idea of distance that is more universal.  Unless you are a real slow poke driver or are from an area where the roads are primitive. But I knew to whom I spoke .  If I was talking to someone in rural Africa I may have to convert that into how many days of walking and take into account any natural obstacles like mountains or rough terrain to cross.

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

australsolarier

if somebody asks me where i am situated, my answer is 100km south of sydney. this works really good. even for most americans.

keep in mind usa military forces use metric.
probably sciences too.

the gimli glider serial of air crashes, the plane runs out of fuel because   the fueler incorrectly converted from metric to imperial or vise versa. just this incident should make it rational to change over for the americans. but like i said, usa is a super power.

another incident in similar direction. i went to usa for a year and returned with texas cowboy boots and hat. went into a super market in switzerland. the cashier asked me in english if i was going to pay in us dollars. (many americans think, thought, the us dollar is used all over the world)

australia sort of has a metric imperial system. the timber is in foot or inch segments but expressed metric. so you have  2.7m or 1.2m lenghts and a 2 by 2 is a 50 by 50. however, temperatures are definitively expressed in c. as are distances in km and beer in liters. psi however is still used atstead of bars. and i personally prefer psi.

the recalcitrance of the usa in this matter also makes it more difficult for you to export things. mind you, this won't affect you much as the usa is such a large market and so insular.

ClassicCrazy

Yeah doesn't effect me too much - I have full set of both fractional and metric wrenches and sockets. Most of the older stuff is fractional and the newer stuff is mostly metric. I just know if the one wrench doesn't fit , get the metric ! You have to have both - sometimes two different types are on same vehicles or equipment.

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

gizmo joe

I am 71, and I know how to convert... but have you ever NEEDED information at a glance and had to stop and do a math operation in an emergency??? This kind of arrogance is insulting and uncalled for.