Any suggestions on low cost batteries ( manufacture ) brand

Started by Taos, June 18, 2017, 09:19:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taos

Hi im looking for some low cost batteries for a second system at a cabin out east ,im usually only there for one month out of the year ,  so dont want to spend big bucks just in case they walk away before i get back ,never had a problem but! Any sugestions on brand and model  , its a 12 volt inverter and was thinking of around 250 amp hours of storage , i can use either 12 volt or 6 volt to make up a 12 volt 250 amp hour storage capacity or more storage is great , i now have two cheap interstate so called deep cycle (rv)batteries . Junk ! ,i also have a 10 year old deka deep cycle  battery thats at the end of its life , so heres my chance to replace them all with a decent but not too expensive battery bank , im looking for best bang for a the buck .  Thanks
Don
400watt x12= (4800watts)Canadian solar panels,ground mount, (400 AH ) 16 Ao lithium 12volt 100ah 4s lithium  batteries , outback vfx3648 inverter 48 volt,midnite solar classic 150 charge controler,midnite solar e panel mne175al,3 surge protectors,wiz bang junior.

mike90045

a pair of golf cart batteries
6v, 200ah  about 90-100 bucks at any big store.  Wire in series for a 12V 200ah bank
http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar

Classic 200| 2Kw PV, 160Voc | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph )| Listeroid 6/1, st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | midnight ePanel & 4 SPDs | 48V, 800A NiFe battery bank | MS-TS-MPPT60 w/3Kw PV

ClassicCrazy

Yes - as Mike said 6v golf cart type  batteries  . East Penn Deka make good golf cart type batteries and they are branded under a few different labels. When you buy them look at the date code and make sure you get some manufactured within 6 months so they are fresh.

Which controller are you using ? Make sure the temperature compensation for your battery is set correctly .

Larry

system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

Taos

Thanks for all the imput , my second system is using a kid charge controller ,260 -320 watts in solar panels ( depends on if i hook up the cheap panels with additional charge controller ) i do have a wizbang junior and battery temp sensor , i was thinking of golf cart batteries and im really impressed at my deka battery ( brand that i have ) thats 10 years old and is now near the end of its life , and $100 a battery im good with if i bought four . Just didnt want to spend $400-$500 per battery .

Thanks again
Don
400watt x12= (4800watts)Canadian solar panels,ground mount, (400 AH ) 16 Ao lithium 12volt 100ah 4s lithium  batteries , outback vfx3648 inverter 48 volt,midnite solar classic 150 charge controler,midnite solar e panel mne175al,3 surge protectors,wiz bang junior.

ClassicCrazy

Lead acid golf cart type batteries last a long time if you never run them down below 70 t 80 percent of their capacity, that you check and keep water  so it doesn't get too low, and if you equalize them once a month or whenever they need it .

East Penn Deka has two golf cart type battery models - one is more capacity than the other and maybe better battery ( more lead in it).

If they are sitting for a long time you may want to just set the automatic equalize at the Absorb voltage every ten days with a longer equalize time ( one or two hours ? ) so it stirs up the electrolyte in them in case it stratifies.

Are you using ending amps or time to stop Absorb ?  With new batteries I would monitor the specific gravity and amps to determine the ending amps point . There are other forum threads in more detail on how to find ending amps point doing this.

Also look up East Penn Deka solar charging parameters - or their other charging parameters guidelines and set your new batteries to the lower of the voltage ranges for Absorb and Float that they recommend.

Also make sure you update your Kid to the newest firmware .

http://www.eastpennmanufacturing.com/wp-content/uploads/Deka-Scrubber_Sweeper-Flyer-0009.pdf

East Penn Deka deep cycle batteries . The solar line they have many of the batteries are the same with different label - check the specs on each and you will see they are the same. An East Penn Deka battery supplier may get you this type for less $ though.  Also I have seen some of these batteries in places like Batteries Plus chain with different labels on them - though Batteries Plus may change brands.  Usually I think the model number would be the same as East Penn Deka though.

http://africanenergy.com/new/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Renewable-Energy-Charging-Parameters.pdf

Sam's Club used to sell golf cart batteries for good price but not sure who manufacturer was of those - maybe Exide ?

Larry

system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

Taos

Thanks Larry ,for all the info ,at this point im not using ending amps due to the cheap interstate  deep cycle ( lol) rv batteries  ,( no specs from manufacture only cca , )  i have these batteries because they came with a new airstream trailer i bought ,i immediately remouved them from the trailer and replaced them with sunxtender A.g.m. Deep cycle batteries and brought the cheap interstate batteries out east to my cabin were they are showing very poor hydrometer readings ,one cell dead on one and other similar problems  after one year , there no warrantee on these batteries because they go by date code on the battery , not when you buy the trailer ,so if the trailer was on the lot for a year you have no warrantee ! As for the software im using the latest 1860 dont think its out yet on the midnite site , and for equilizing the batteries since im only there for about a month in the summer and 2-3 weeks in the spring i dont like equilizing the batteries if im not there to top up the water in them or for a problem when im not there , thats also one of the reasons to buy cheaper batteries , this is one reason why i like deka batteries as the one i have there is 10 years old and with all the abuse its in better shape then my interstate 1 year old batteries .
Thanks again
Don

Westbranch

KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

ClassicCrazy

Quote from: Taos on June 19, 2017, 09:16:01 PM
Thanks Larry ,for all the info ,at this point im not using ending amps due to the cheap interstate  deep cycle ( lol) rv batteries  ,( no specs from manufacture only cca , )  i have these batteries because they came with a new airstream trailer i bought ,i immediately remouved them from the trailer and replaced them with sunxtender A.g.m. Deep cycle batteries and brought the cheap interstate batteries out east to my cabin were they are showing very poor hydrometer readings ,one cell dead on one and other similar problems  after one year , there no warrantee on these batteries because they go by date code on the battery , not when you buy the trailer ,so if the trailer was on the lot for a year you have no warrantee ! As for the software im using the latest 1860 dont think its out yet on the midnite site , and for equilizing the batteries since im only there for about a month in the summer and 2-3 weeks in the spring i dont like equilizing the batteries if im not there to top up the water in them or for a problem when im not there , thats also one of the reasons to buy cheaper batteries , this is one reason why i like deka batteries as the one i have there is 10 years old and with all the abuse its in better shape then my interstate 1 year old batteries .
Thanks again
Don

My suggestion was when you are not there to set equalizing for the absorb voltage - not the equalizing voltage. Set it to an hour or two  every 10 days .   It just stirs up the electrolyte which can stratify if batteries are not being actively used for a long period and are just in float all the time. That is what I have read .  If they are not being used they just go from bulk to absorb to float quickly and that is not enough time to stir it up. So if you set the equalize to absorb you are not over charging - just bubbling the electrolyte for a longer time than it would do .

Larry
system 1
system 2
system 3
KID / Brat portable

Taos

Quote from: Westbranch on June 19, 2017, 11:25:09 PM
Ummmm...  the latest FW is version 2126... http://www.midnitesolar.com/firmware.php?firmwareProduct_ID=1
The latest software ( not out on the midnite site ) is 1860 ,Westbranch were talking about software for the kid charge controller not the classic .
Don

Taos

Quote from: ClassicCrazy on June 19, 2017, 11:38:15 PM
Quote from: Taos on June 19, 2017, 09:16:01 PM
Thanks again
Don

My suggestion was when you are not there to set equalizing for the absorb voltage - not the equalizing voltage. Set it to an hour or two  every 10 days .   It just stirs up the electrolyte which can stratify if batteries are not being actively used for a long period and are just in float all the time. That is what I have read .  If they are not being used they just go from bulk to absorb to float quickly and that is not enough time to stir it up. So if you set the equalize to absorb you are not over charging - just bubbling the electrolyte for a longer time than it would do .

Larry

Oh that makes sense,i wasnt thinking of that ,im sure this will extend the life of the batteries , i have done this on my primary system at home in the past just forgot .
Thanks again Larry
Don

ClassicCrazy

Quote from: Taos on June 20, 2017, 07:12:32 AM
Ummmm...  the latest FW is version 2126... http://www.midnitesolar.com/firmware.php?firmwareProduct_ID=1
The latest software ( not out on the midnite site ) is 1860 ,Westbranch were talking about software for the kid charge controller not the classic .
Don

Guess you are more up to date than I am on the Kid firmware - hadn't heard about that new one but how would I if it isn't posted anywhere !

Larry
system 1
system 2
system 3
KID / Brat portable

Westbranch

OOps, sorry Don looked at your sig line and saw the Classic 150 listed. My mistake.  :o
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

Taos

Quote from: ClassicCrazy on June 20, 2017, 09:14:25 AM
Don

Guess you are more up to date than I am on the Kid firmware - hadn't heard about that new one but how would I if it isn't posted anywhere !

Larry

I had a problem with one of my kids charge  controller freezing intermittent and was sent the 1860 firmware to fix the freezing situation , so far so good !  I guess thats why theres not much info out yet as i i think i saw something like around june 12/2017 date code in the firmware ,could be a beta version in final testing stages .

Don

Taos

Quote from: Westbranch on June 20, 2017, 12:44:42 PM
OOps, sorry Don looked at your sig line and saw the Classic 150 listed. My mistake.  :o
No problem westbranch, in my signature i have more info on system one then my second system and ran out of room to give all the details of second system , plus i didn't mention which  charge controller i was talking about , in each reply.
Don

ClassicCrazy

Quote from: Taos on June 20, 2017, 09:14:39 PM
Quote from: ClassicCrazy on June 20, 2017, 09:14:25 AM
Don

Larry

I had a problem with one of my kids charge  controller freezing intermittent and was sent the 1860 firmware to fix the freezing situation , so far so good !  I guess thats why theres not much info out yet as i i think i saw something like around june 12/2017 date code in the firmware ,could be a beta version in final testing stages .

Don

Was the freezing problem happening on Kids that were synced together ?

Larry
system 1
system 2
system 3
KID / Brat portable