Any suggestions on low cost batteries ( manufacture ) brand

Started by Taos, June 18, 2017, 09:19:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taos

I have two kid charge controllers ,not synced , one as backup and also used for charging multiple batteries at home ,the other at the cabin out east on my second system ,the one that the screen froze.What happened is i started a equalization late in the day figuring i had egnough time for it to complete ,and was at a neighbours cottage and came back after sunset, im the morning i noticed the screen on the kid was still showing equilazation and the backlite was on , i tried all buttons and none worked so i did a reset and all was good for the rest of the time i was at the cabin ( about 8 days ).
I brought the one with the problem home and updated the firmware to 1860 ,i have used it two times to charge two batteries here at home and all was good , the real test will be once it gets used up at he cabin for a month or so.

Don
400watt x12= (4800watts)Canadian solar panels,ground mount, (400 AH ) 16 Ao lithium 12volt 100ah 4s lithium  batteries , outback vfx3648 inverter 48 volt,midnite solar classic 150 charge controler,midnite solar e panel mne175al,3 surge protectors,wiz bang junior.

svencool

Quote from: ClassicCrazy on June 19, 2017, 03:08:00 AM
Yes - as Mike said 6v golf cart type  batteries.

Larry

My question is I have a detached garage at least 100ft away from the house. So I have been using AGM batteries as I can use these in the house. Has anyone ever heard of anyone using reg flooded batteries in the house? I figure they have to have a way to vent the gases! I live in Ohio and don't want them outside as it can get 20 below zero and that's hard on the batteries and cuts there available power as well. Looking for ideas as I'm sure there are other people in my situation.....

ClassicCrazy

Quote from: svencool on June 22, 2017, 06:01:54 PM
Quote from: ClassicCrazy on June 19, 2017, 03:08:00 AM
Yes - as Mike said 6v golf cart type  batteries.

Larry

My question is I have a detached garage at least 100ft away from the house. So I have been using AGM batteries as I can use these in the house. Has anyone ever heard of anyone using reg flooded batteries in the house? I figure they have to have a way to vent the gases! I live in Ohio and don't want them outside as it can get 20 below zero and that's hard on the batteries and cuts there available power as well. Looking for ideas as I'm sure there are other people in my situation.....

I have had 4 golf cart  flooded lead acid batteries in my camper for years and never worried about the gassing from them. I had them protected in a box that had big holes in it . I mean I wouldn't take a flame around it if it was heavy charging . If you think about it it is mainly hydrogen gas that comes off and that is light and dissipates in air quickly .  My personal experience and opinion was no problem. Now if I had 10 or 20 of those in a small room I might have had more concerns.

I had water miser caps   on them too which I believe recombines some of the gas in a catalyst to keep water loss down.
https://www.flowsystemsusa.com/index.html
Larry

system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

Westbranch

the install manual for some wet  NiCd SAFT batteries I have gave a formula to determine  the minimum room size to house the batteries in , if under that ventilation was recommended.
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

svencool

[/quote]

I have had 4 golf cart  flooded lead acid batteries in my camper for years and never worried about the gassing from them. I had them protected in a box that had big holes in it . I mean I wouldn't take a flame around it if it was heavy charging . If you think about it it is mainly hydrogen gas that comes off and that is light and dissipates in air quickly .  My personal experience and opinion was no problem. Now if I had 10 or 20 of those in a small room I might have had more concerns.

I had water miser caps   on them too which I believe recombines some of the gas in a catalyst to keep water loss down.
https://www.flowsystemsusa.com/index.html
Larry
[/quote]

Yea Well I know keeping batteries warm is better for them or they perform better when about 70 degrees. I just never thought you could put a flooded battery in a living space. That's why I'm asking questions and trying to learn from others experiences...... I don't want to be reinventing the wheel so to speak.... I have been looking for ways to build a sealed box and a fan sucking fresh air in and exhausting the box air out....

ClassicCrazy

I just used 2 x 2 to make frame and plywood to make a box.

Here is article on health effects of batteries - see section on ventilation
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/health_concerns
Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

Taos

I just picked up four costco golf cart 208 ah  6 volt batterries , not sure what brand they are but price was good and costco is a great company that takes care of there customers, once hooked up will have 416 Ah at 12 volts since i have a 12 volt inverter ( for now).
Don
400watt x12= (4800watts)Canadian solar panels,ground mount, (400 AH ) 16 Ao lithium 12volt 100ah 4s lithium  batteries , outback vfx3648 inverter 48 volt,midnite solar classic 150 charge controler,midnite solar e panel mne175al,3 surge protectors,wiz bang junior.