Pagosa Springs Co. 14.4KW

Started by egozoogo, November 12, 2011, 10:24:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

egozoogo

Size: 14.4KW Solar 19KW Gen-set
Battery Bank: 8,000 AH
Material: MidNite, Outback, Hoffman, SolarOne and Gillette

I am currently designing and installing the electrical and data systems for a powerhouse, the project involves all the systems necessary enabling the customer to live completely off the grid. The structure is located at the base of the Rocky Mountains.
Systems include:

propane generator 19KW , Outback stack quad 14.4KW inverters, 48 volt 2,240 amp hour battery bank with temperature monitoring, Z-Wave control, DIN mounted PLC computer, construction of a Hoffmann control panel, battery watering system, RV 30-20 AMP outdoor receptacle panel, hydrogen sulfide gas alarm with exhaust fan, heating and cooling control, satellite internet uplink, satellite TV, well pump controls, high pressure jet pump, security system, tilt and pan indoor cameras, Ethernet network, 48 to 12 volt conversion, general plugs and lighting.

On the side of the building we have erected a 30 foot communications tower with lights, camera and small solar panel for generator battery.
The site is expected to be inexcusable during the winter months; every system parameter will be monitored over the internet.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Docteh

Why such a big genset, are you going to be doing electric heat?

niel

why that large of a battery bank? that would be a nightmare to wire something that big. you are also shy on charge current to properly charge that battery bank with the pvs as batteries should be roughly in the 5% to 13% charge rate range and you are just over 4%. even at 5% it will not mix up the electrolyte well on a standard flooded battery so a means of giving the bank a good shot of extra current every now and then should be given to properly stir the electrolyte. in smaller battery banks that are too large for the pv arrays i would recommend splitting the battery bank in 2 and just switch between them. one charges while one is used, but i would be scared to switch that high of a current source in and out routinely and that would be a very special switch.

of course, you do know that you shouldn't take a battery below 50% dod to preserve the battery's lifespan which makes 192kwh available from that bank. :o i would have preferred a smilely with 2 bulging eyes to stand for wow.

egozoogo

Yep electric heat... yes i agree that the bank is too big, vary hard to charge.  The customer supplied the (30) 235watt panels, batteries, Outback and the MidNites.  I supplied all the other controls, Hoffman boxes and gutter, like that gutter? :)

egozoogo

The bank

egozoogo

Another view

egozoogo

Now i"m just being a show-off... :)

Docteh

Lots of pictures are welcomed! Personally I'm learning this off grid stuff on the fly. Running a small cabin off of a 1kw genset and 400ah of agm's. Can only go up from there! :) This fall/winter i'm looking at wind, and then some solar in spring/summer.

Westbranch

If you start another topic, ie cabin with 400 ah battery or ? there are lots here to help you out.

IMO start with ALL expected future loads and then work back to the battery and PV needed for a healthy robust system.

check out this site for lots of info too
http://www.wind-sun.com/ForumVB/index.php

cheers
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

egozoogo

I just love Hoffman

egozoogo

egozoogo

For safety I installed a hydrogen alarm ($900) that will energize a inline 6 inch FanTech at 1% hydrogen sulfide. 

Docteh

Quote from: egozoogo on November 12, 2011, 09:49:10 PM
;D
Hey, in the picture with the electrical stuff like I seem some circuit breakers. What are the fiddly bits on the bottom section?

Halfcrazy

Egozoogo

How about a picture of those 2 Classics hiding in the middle ;D Also whats in the box with the Mate 3 on the door? Pretty darn impressive install.

Ryan
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

egozoogo

Thanks Ryan,

I have a picture above of the contents of that box, look for the one with white Panduit gutter inside and yes here's the MidNite pics