Little Willy

Started by Raechel, July 03, 2017, 04:53:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raechel

As all of you know, our engineering team is hard at work on an inverter. One of those inverters has been dubbed "Little Willy" and there are some of us here at Midnite who feel that we can come up with a much cooler name than "Little Willy". After much conversation, Robin has agreed to let us put it out to everyone on the forum- can ANYONE think of a better name than Little Willy?

Per Robin I am told that it is expected to do 2800 watts at 120V for the 12V and 4000 watts at 120/240V for the 24V and 48V versions. He has also agreed that if anyone can come up with a better name that he likes, not only will we give the inverter the new name, the person who came up with the name will get a brand NEW Inverter.

Please help us to think up a new name. Post your thoughts in this thread and Robin will add them to the list that he is keeping. I am also posting a pic of Little Willy for inspiration. Thanks! -Raechel

Westbranch

Raechel, how about some dimensions and weight... tks
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

Brigon

Ok, first post. I don't have a system yet, so no equipment list, but I have been doing a lot of research. I have to build my power shed before I can put anything in it.
The system I envisage is still a dream, but from research it will definitely include a classic 150. I was also thinking of an Outback vfxr, but knowing  you were working on an inverter I was hoping it would be ready before I am.

The only name I can come up with quickly is the "TNT" Inverter. I'm sure it will be dynamite and blow everything else out of the water. TNT is also "The Next Top" inverter or "The New Truth" inverter..

It seemed a lot better when I was thinking about it before I put it in print.
Can't wait to get some more details.
I will be asking the forum for a lot of help when I put my system design together, before I buy anything.

onanparts

Since I like the name Little Willy for this New Inverter......

I'm officially starting the "Free Midnite's Little Willy Campaign" :)

He really should be free to travel and explore the world at will, without being restricted, restrained or confined in any way.

Midnite's Little Willy Just Wants To Come Out And Play!

If you too like Midnite's Little Willy, speak up! Don't be shy! Powerful forces are at work to keep the Little Willy in the dark. Please help shine the Midnite Sun on Little Willy!

Hmmmmm...OK, If the Little Willy falters.....

Then....."The Midnite Sun" or "The Midnite Son" is my second choice. :)
I got the deluxe kit, it had a solar cell and a meter.

Midnite B17-10. 50kW Cont. 150kW Surge... Me/Myself/And/I

dapsyra

I suggest Midnite Indra (the all powerful Hindu thunder god).
PV-OUTPUT: http://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?userid=46221
Midnite Classic 150/WBJr., 21 Roysolar 300Wp, 55V/400AH Lithium Titanate Oxide (LTO) Battery, Mercury MC5048E 5KVA Inverter

mike90045

if the 12V version can't start 90% of the average fridges, I have little interest in it.

Big Stick ?
http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar

Classic 200| 2Kw PV, 160Voc | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph )| Listeroid 6/1, st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | midnight ePanel & 4 SPDs | 48V, 800A NiFe battery bank | MS-TS-MPPT60 w/3Kw PV

Westbranch

Mike, what is an average fridge ? ~18 cu. ft.?

https://www.energystar.gov/productfinder/product/certified-residential-refrigerators/results?scrollTo=3400&search_text=&capacity_total_volume_ft3_filter=18+-+23&height_in_isopen=&width_in_isopen=&brand_name_isopen=&markets_filter=Canada&zip_code_filter=&product_types=Select+a+Product+Category&sort_by=annual_energy_use_kwh_yr&sort_direction=asc&page_number=9&lastpage=0

For Canada, shows for all 385, 18 to 23 Cu ft with top,  bottom and side by side freezer units   a low of 362  Kwh/yr to a hi of 553 Kwh/yr.

A like search of 93, 15 to 17.9 Cuft, all 3 styles of freezer, ran from 344Kwh/yr to 561 Kwh/yr...

A lot of the new avg. fridges will run off 1500W without a hiccup, due to improvements like soft start... my 3 year old 18 cu ft GE /c top freezer runs merrily on well under 1000W, observed ~ 500W to 700W and it tapers while running for 1/2 hr...

As I can see,  most  of the bigger fancier  fridges available are almost all High Efficiency units, mandated by the Gov..

I am betting that the surge capacity of the FREE WILLY will be substantial.
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

off-grid-geeks

The lyrics for the song by Sweet "Little Willy" are perfect for a solar powered inverter!

Read them over... I agree that "Little Willy" is the name that should stick!

QuoteNorth side, east side
Little Willy, Willy wears the crown, he's the king around town

Way past one and feeling alright
'Cause with little Willy 'round they can last all night

But you can't push Willy 'round
Willy won't go, try tellin' everybody but, oh no

Little Willy, Willy won't
Willy won't, Willy won't
Willy won't, Willy won't
Willy won't, Willy won't
Willy won't, Willy won't BE RENAMED!

Taos

Raechel How about , ( little lightning ),or ( kid lighting ) as this would allow for further larger inverters names in the future , ( classic lightning), ( big lightning ), etc

Don
400watt x12= (4800watts)Canadian solar panels,ground mount, (400 AH ) 16 Ao lithium 12volt 100ah 4s lithium  batteries , outback vfx3648 inverter 48 volt,midnite solar classic 150 charge controler,midnite solar e panel mne175al,3 surge protectors,wiz bang junior.

grgdgreek

Prometheus (/prəˈmiːθiÉ™s/ prÉ™-MEE-thee-É™s; Greek: ΠρομηθεύÏ, [promɛːtÊ°eús], meaning "forethought")[1] is a Titan in Greek mythology, best known as the deity in Greek mythology who was the creator of humanity and its greatest benefactor, who stole fire from Mount Olympus and gave it to humankind

You like?
George
Home:6*135w mitsu.10*175w shuko. 2* cl150.3*D400 turbines.
Rolls18*4v series 5000 545ah*3 .2*Victron 3000 multiplus inv/chg. 24v. Shop:28*185w shuko. Sunny island. Sunnyboy.Rolls 40*s530.48volt.Sunny web box.

tecnodave

Being that I am native Alaskan, the land of the "Midnight Sun" and that Midnite Solar is in the business of harvesting the sun to use when you need.".......... I propose "Midnite Sun"

David
#1 Classic 150 12 x Sharp NE-170, 2S6P, 24volt L-16 Rolls-Surette S-530, MS4024 & Cotek ,  C-40 dirv.cont. for hot water
#2 Classic 150 12 x Sharp NE-170, 2S6P, 24 volt L-16 Interstate,Brutus Inv.
#3 Kid/WBjr 4/6 Sanyo 200 watt multilayer 4/6 P
#4 Kid/WBjr 4/6 Sanyo 200 watt multilayer 2S 2/3 P

Sunshine

Quote from: tecnodave on July 19, 2017, 07:28:22 PM

Being that I am native Alaskan, the land of the "Midnight Sun" and that Midnite Solar is in the business of harvesting the sun to use when you need.".......... I propose "Midnite Sun"

David
I like this one...I would change it to Son as Onanparts suggested, it would allow us to have the Son, Big Brother, Little Brother.... I 'm not sure if I get to vote on ideas though :)

Highflyer

How about  "Ned"

Marvin's little brother.
Brian

The one thing is the one thing

Robin

Keep the names coming. Everyone gets to vote. I too like the name Little Willy, but there are quite a few perverts out there that think it is a bad name. Sadly, I will bow to pressure on this subject and have agreed to change the name.

Refrigerators are easy to start. I am hopeful to start a 5HP air compressor. That is the load we always went for at Trace and OutBack. The goal is to start the compressor and not have your TV or computer crash. That is really tough with a single 4000W inverter. We don't know about surge power ratings yet, but the transformer designs that Bob and Baxter are coming up with keep on getting better and better. We will definitely leave room for surge power.
Robin Gudgel

ClassicCrazy

well maybe Little Middy
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable