Updating Classic FW Now a Breeze with latest "Programmer"

Started by Vic, July 04, 2017, 03:03:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vic

Updated FW in a Classic 150 yesterday.   Had been dragging my feet on Updates,   as there had been an issue or two in the past.

This Update (from  1849 to 2126)  could have  NOT been easier or smoother.  The whole process took about 15 minutes from beginning,  to end  --  very easy.

The process seems to run at about twice the speed of the previous updater,   and at the end (using the same Laptop as before,  under Win 7),   it seems that one no longer needs to wait,   and wait for the last vestiges of loading is complete.

Great job !  Congratulations to the MidNite crew,   this is a huge advance.

Would recommend that anyone who has been a bit reluctant to update Classics based on past experience with the previous updater,   take a look at the new Programming/Updating environment  (the one that is currently on the MN Solar site is dated 1/2/17).

EDIT: Might as well post a Link to the Classic Firmware page:
http://www.midnitesolar.com/firmware.php?firmwareProduct_ID=1

Will try Updating other Classics here in the next several days.

Thanks again MidNite!   Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

svencool

My computer has windows Vista will it still work for me? I was going to try and do an update tonight...

Vic

Quote from: svencool on July 04, 2017, 03:18:49 PM
My computer has windows Vista will it still work for me? I was going to try and do an update tonight...

Honestly,   I do not know.

On the MidNite Solar site,  under ' Software ',   there are only instructions for Win 7,  and Win 10.

Several days ago,  someone had noted that the instructions for Win XP  were no longer on the MN site.   I have never used either Vista or XP for Updating Classic FW,   so,   I am of no help.

Am not certain of your location,   but,  today is a BIG Holiday in the USA,  so attendance on this Forum may be a bit light today.

FWIW,   Good Luck,     Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.

svencool

Yea I use only Mac but have kept 1 windows machine around just for updating the classic so I wish people at midnite would realize not everyone keeps updating there computers.. thanks for the reply back.

Mike

Matt

The updater can work down to XP and every variant to Windows 10. Any windows system below Windows 10 will require you to install the drivers (included). Getting the drivers to install for Windows operating systems that have restrictions on unsigned drivers may vary in difficulty (Windows 8 comes to mind).

boB

Yes, Matt has done a WONDERFUL and astounding job on this !

Finally, something done right about updating !

Thank you Matt !

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Vic

Hi boB,

Thanks for letting us know who to thank  --  THANK YOU VERY MUCH Matt !!

Thanks to the MidNite Managers who helped identify this as a worthy project.

Thanks MidNite!   Vic

mike90045

Quote from: Matt on July 04, 2017, 08:19:46 PM
The updater can work down to XP and every variant to Windows 10. Any windows system below Windows 10 will require you to install the drivers (included). Getting the drivers to install for Windows operating systems that have restrictions on unsigned drivers may vary in difficulty (Windows 8 comes to mind). 

So, when I go to the midnight site, I get:
Firmware Revision Number: Rev 2126 For windows
Firmware Revision Date: 1-17-17
  which seems to be a January release, not July 2017 ?   Is the new installer packed into the older file ?

Since I have win 8.1 ,XP and Linux Mint,  how do I find instructions for any of them ? 
http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar

Classic 200| 2Kw PV, 160Voc | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph )| Listeroid 6/1, st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | midnight ePanel & 4 SPDs | 48V, 800A NiFe battery bank | MS-TS-MPPT60 w/3Kw PV

Vic

Hi Mike,

YES,  if you click on the FW 2126 Link,    the next page displayed allows you to choose twix Win 7 & 10 versions.

Most of the instructions detail just how to get the computer Port config just right.
And,   the previous instructions appear to be essentially identical to the new ones (at least in the Win7 case).

It is now suggested that one wants to direct the software to the Desktop.

In the Win7 case,   everything needed to do the FW Update is loaded into/onto the destination specified.

FWIW ...   I am NOT Matt,   but you might want to have look at the new Programmer.
Know that one does not want to have Updating difficulties   ...

Did Update the remaining Classics here,   to 2126.   On only one Classic,   Updating the MNGP took a number of tries.   Finally disconnected the Network cable from only that Classic,  at the Router,   and that appeared to be the thing that allowed the MNGP Update to go smoothly.   Am using very short Network cables (2 ft),   and the original very long (about 2 Meters) USB cables.

That is all,   Vic

mike90045

Quote from: Vic on July 10, 2017, 12:42:40 PM
Hi Mike,

YES,  if you click on the FW 2126 Link,    the next page displayed allows you to choose twix Win 7 & 10 versions...

So if I have win XP or 8, I'm SOL ?   I wonder if the new firmware can load with the old loader program I use with XP ?
http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar

Classic 200| 2Kw PV, 160Voc | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph )| Listeroid 6/1, st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | midnight ePanel & 4 SPDs | 48V, 800A NiFe battery bank | MS-TS-MPPT60 w/3Kw PV

Vic

Based upon what Matt said:

Quote from: Matt on July 04, 2017, 08:19:46 PM

There must be a route for you on XP or Win8,
But will let Matt fill in what you should need to do.

Just flapping my gums at this point.   Good Luck,   Vic

Matt

The Windows 7 instructions for installing the driver are very similar to XP (if not identical). It has been awhile since I installed on windows 8, but I believe you have to restart at least twice to disable the unsigned drive check in order to get the driver installed. I would go with XP if I had a choice.

-Matt

2twisty

Does the updater back up and restore settings?  Since the ethernet port on my classic is damaged, I can't use the app to download and save my settings..  I am loathe to update because I don't want to manually enter all that stuff from the keypad.

Vic

Hi 2twisty,

I have seen NO evidence that the Programmer does save and allow re-loading of your custom settings  --  that would seem redundant as you stated,  the LA  "does" that.

Noting all of your settings,   and re-entering them is not really such a big deal,  IMO.  Easy to say,   as  we have been using the LA to do that.

Good Luck,   Vic