Confirming that End Amps setting is working (forces absorb to float)

Started by 5 Minutes 2 Midnite, July 10, 2017, 05:25:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

5 Minutes 2 Midnite

Quote from: Vic on July 12, 2017, 06:20:13 PM
When the Classic has made a transition to Float,   and there is insufficient PV (or other power) to maintain Vflt,   the Classic will display Float - MPPT.   This might the additional code that you are seeing.
Indeed, as code "6" translates to Float MPPT.

If you have set ReBulk to a relevant value,  then it is possible for the Classic to try to start a new Bulk charge,   but,   near the end of the day,  this is not likely what you are seeing.
What I just learned this afternoon though is that later in the day after Float has been reached and input power went low (3 amps) -for whatever reason- panel input watts went up significantly (7 amps). As it happens I just power cycled the system to install a SPD on the combiner, so with the extra power -and the reboot- the system is back in Bulk MPPT.

But the question is, if I had not rebooted, would the later-in-the-day higher panel power have put the system back into bulk or absorb (depending on how far battery voltage had fallen)?

or, is that what Float MPPT covers?

or, is this scenario and argument for setting a value for Rebulk to insure that the extra panel power fully charges the batteries (assuming the power holds out)?

I fully suspect the controller is smartly programmed to finish the charge off if more panel power shows up. So forgive the obsessiveness. I just like to understand at a fairly granular level, and once there kind of forget about it.

When the Classic goes to Float,   the Classic will produce no power from the PVs,   any loads on the system will cause the WbJr to show -- Amps.

Ah ha.

Also,  if the Classic is NOT in Absorb,   it ignores the battery current from the WbJr,   and the transition to Float will not be triggered regardless of the WbJr current being below the EA setting.
OK.

As you know,   the set EA,   and the Maximum Absorb time are an OR function  --  whichever occurs first will trigger the transition to Float,   as long as the CC is still in Absorb at that time.
Understood.
Qty 24 Sharp 153W poly panels, Midnite MNPV6 combiner, Midnite Classic 150 charge controller, Magnum MS-4448-PAE inverter with RC50 remote, Magnum MMP Mini panel,  QTY 2 Chinese made self-contained 200 AH wall mounted LFP power banks with built in BMS

Vic

5 - 2 ..  saic'
"But the question is, if I had not rebooted, would the later-in-the-day higher panel power have put the system back into bulk or absorb (depending on how far battery voltage had fallen)?".

If the Classic (CC) had made its transition to Float,  and additional power became available,   there would be more power for loads.    So the added power would delay the CC going to Float - MPPT,   if that added power was available then the added loads came along.

If you re-boot the CC,   and enough input power was available,   the CC would start Bulking,   then Absorb,   and Float.   If the CC was re-booted when the CC was in Float,   the Bulk,  and Abs stages would be short,  unless there had been heavy loads on the battery,   and significant time had passed before the re-boot.   The above may depend upon what was the nature of the re-boot.

To me,   Re-Bulk is not a commonly used function on most off-grid or backup type systems,   especially those with Lead Acid (LA) batteries.   With LA batteries,  most of us are trying to minimize the number of charge cycles on the batteries.  But,  if a system has  relatively small battery Capacity,   one might want to try to enter the night with as much charge as possible in the batteries.   In this case,   Re-Bulk might be useful ...

There may also be times,   with alternative power sources where Re-Bulk would make sense,  perhaps.

Others will add some added detail on the uses of Re-Bulk,   we have never used it here.

EDIT:  OH,   should have mentioned,   that for the most part,  most CCs,  like the Classic,  will only do a single charge stage per day.   Many of us set A-Rst (Automatic Reset) in the Tweaks menu to On.   This tells the Classic to begin a new day at Midnight,   and will allow the CC to begin a new charge cycle when there is sufficient input power available to run the CC's power converter.

FWIW,    Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

ClassicCrazy

Quote from: WizBandit on July 12, 2017, 04:29:40 PM
Just curious, did you set the ENDAMPS to use the SHUNT and not the internal CLASC shunt?

Not sure I saw an answer to this question ?

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

5 Minutes 2 Midnite

Quote from: WizBandit on July 12, 2017, 04:29:40 PM
Just curious, did you set the ENDAMPS to use the SHUNT and not the internal CLASC shunt?

I missed this question (thanx Larry). I just checked and indeed the setting reads SHUNT. And the checkbox in the app that says Use WBjr for ending amps is checked.
Qty 24 Sharp 153W poly panels, Midnite MNPV6 combiner, Midnite Classic 150 charge controller, Magnum MS-4448-PAE inverter with RC50 remote, Magnum MMP Mini panel,  QTY 2 Chinese made self-contained 200 AH wall mounted LFP power banks with built in BMS