Recent Adobe Air upgrade breaks Local App?

Started by Jszuckerman, July 14, 2017, 08:50:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jszuckerman

This week after Adobe pushed an update for their Air app container, my Local App instance (Midnite Solar Status Panel) has stopped working. 

I use Local App daily to keep remote tabs on my Classic 150.

It doesn't surprise me that an update of software that Local App depends on could break the app.

Midnite: any possibility of releasing a fix?

JohnZ

Westbranch

Have you trid Grahams Android version ?  If not it has better display of the needed data and is rock solid and no AIR...  IMHO it it the best you can get for monitoring... just can not make changes to the settings...

post #350 for latest issue...http://midniteftp.com/forum/index.php?topic=1589.msg36719#new
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

ClassicCrazy

Quote from: Jszuckerman on July 14, 2017, 08:50:02 AM
This week after Adobe pushed an update for their Air app container, my Local App instance (Midnite Solar Status Panel) has stopped working. 

I use Local App daily to keep remote tabs on my Classic 150.

It doesn't surprise me that an update of software that Local App depends on could break the app.

Midnite: any possibility of releasing a fix?

JohnZ

The new update  didn't mess it up for me , but in the past when I have had problems with Local Status App connecting I have deleted existing links for Classic in the Local Status app,  then changed  Classic network settings to DHCP, and let the Local Status app rediscover them. Then I went back into Classic settings and made them static again if that is what I wanted to do .

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

Jszuckerman

Westbranch, thanks for suggestion.

I've come to really like the Local App, as I can make settings changes from it reliably, and it works well enough overall to be useful.

I'm guessing the MidNite Engineer who created Local App has moved on, as they've not done much maintenance on it in recent years. (I.e., the app may no longer have a technical owner within the company). 

If so, that's a shame as I think the app is worth maintaining and improving.

JohnZ

ClassicCrazy

It was recently said they are doing some updates to Local Status App  to accommodate the new Classic talking voice features .  Maybe they can fix other stuff too - so send them a note about specific problems or features .

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

mike90045

For me, the windoze local app is about the only thing keeping me with midnight. 

The easy ability to save all the settings via register download and upload is midnights saving grace.   Schneider and MorningStar are no match for the LA.

I use computers, and use them hard.   I have 2 workhorse computers (XP & Win 8.1) for engineering, video and audio processing, I maintain a LP-FM radio station and am loath to change OS or platforms, for a vendors convenience.  Really
sad Adobe is sitting on so much tech and then willy-nilly, starts abandoning it (air for Linux)
Reliability and no fear of bricking critical household gear is paramount. When I read of bricked components needing to be shipped to factory for reflash, my sphincters tighten up.  I can't afford to have my wife without power because of a vendor cock-up. "why'd you buy stuff from them, you fool" !

Designing and shipping gear from a grid connected campus does not carry any "reputation" with me, it's like the people that pester me with all the "over-unity" free power gear, I tell them "Contact me when the inventor disconnects his house from the grid"  It's all talk.   Blank displays, bricked gear,  and "advanced sweep algorithms" that don't.

I want to buy gear that works, silently, reliably and without too much fuss.  I fuss over my generator, but it's a 100 year old design, and so cool.  I @&%@ about my new Hatz/Subaru genset that is loud and has no power factor capacity.
http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar

Classic 200| 2Kw PV, 160Voc | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph )| Listeroid 6/1, st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | midnight ePanel & 4 SPDs | 48V, 800A NiFe battery bank | MS-TS-MPPT60 w/3Kw PV

Jszuckerman

False alarm.  My local app is working fine again.    Problem wasn't due to the Adobe Air upgrade.

Do hope Midnite continues to evolve and improve the Local App.

JohnZ

Jszuckerman

Things I'd like to see in an improved Local App.  In fairness, these are annoyances mostly, not showstoppers.

1. increase the data refresh rate from 4 secs/refresh to 2 secs (or even 1 sec if Classic will support the query load).

2. add automatic, invisible TCP/IP reconnection.  My Local App frequently drops connection to my Classic, which is on an unreliable wireless connection--so I have to dismiss the "Connection Closed" button frequently.  Annoying.  Just go ahead and reconnect when necessary.

3. Data display: doesn't show the amount of Absorb time that elapsed before going to Float.   As soon as Float begins the Absorb timer resets for tomorrow and you lose how much elapsed Absorb time actually occurred today.  App does show the elapsed Float Time, so could just add elapsed Absorb Time as second datum.

4. A couple of nitpicky labeling issues:  "Absorb Time" is really "Absorb Timer"-- it's a countdown timer, not the elapsed time.  Same for Equalize Time--should be labeled Equalize Timer.

5. When 16 volts is exceeded in Battery gauge, gauge needle flops over and down.  Need to add virtual needle "peg" to the gauge?  :-)

6. Advanced Menu: temperature compensation voltage: absolute voltage of the current mode is shown.  More useful would be to show relative compensation (the voltage delta that is applied to whatever mode we are in).

7. Data -> Offline table, remove "Time" column (which always contains 23:59 once system is operating regularly) and add "Absorb time" or "Bulk Time" column instead.  Would be more useful.

8. I've noticed that app will sometimes say "writing values to Classic..." even when no values were changed in the App UI --there should be nothing new to write.  That's a little worrisome.

9. For the life of me, I have never been able to make the Live Data graphs work at all.

That's my gripe list.  It's a good app, don't get me wrong.

JohnZ

ClassicCrazy

Yes I also wish the temperature compensated value setpoint was shown . On the Morningstar controller I had they called it Target Voltage.
You can see it but you need to go into the Config Advanced screen and scroll down - not very convenient at all.

I asked Graham to add that to his Classic Android app and he did on a screen there along with the Absorb timer .

Larry

system 1
system 2
system 3
KID / Brat portable

Jszuckerman

Thanks, for the comment, Larry. 

What is the best way to get my wish list for the Local App noticed by Midnite? 

JohnZ

ClassicCrazy

Kyle from Midnite sometimes reads these forums and it was over on the Classic beta Voice discussion where he said that they were working on local status app.  But might as well send a direct email to him at Midnite or use their online form. Andrew who I believe was the guy who worked on the Local Status App used to get on here sometimes but haven't seen him check in for quite awhile.

Larry
system 1
system 2
system 3
KID / Brat portable