Adding second array and Classic. Please advise.

Started by Mechanicalbird, September 02, 2017, 09:51:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mechanicalbird

Hi everyone,
I am in the process of installing a second array and a second Classic 250. The arrays are in different locations and not oriented exactly the same. Both classics will be charging a single battery bank. My main questions are:

Should I use follow me mode since the arrays are oriented on a slightly different plane?

Do the controllers share a single whizbang jr.?

I'm sure is will come up with more questions. Thank you!

dgd

It doesn't matter that arrays are not identically aligned, you should get the two CLassics wired into Follow-me mode.
You need only one Classic with WBjr connected. Then set that Classic to terminate Absorb on End-Amps. Set the other Classic with a 3 hour Absorb timer.
If the first Classic hits EA and moves to Float then the second will follow it.
SO you need only one Wbjr wired to one Classic because the Wbjr sees the current from both Classics that goes into the battery.
Although only the first will move to Float its the Follow-Me that gets the second to Float.

You could also just ignore Follow-Me and let each Classic figure out itself when to transit from Absorb to Float. So long as you have the set points the same in each Classic then this generally works as well.
I often do this with multiple Classics charging the same battery bank and on some legacy systems set up pre-Wbjr they just use the same absorb timer setting. This tends to work pretty good as well.
Sometimes the simpliest solutions are the best...

dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand

ralph day

In somewhat the same boat, I have a 2004 vintage MX60 I'm going to replace.  My panels are presently wired 2xseries, thinking about a Classic 250 and wiring them in 4xseries.  This will keep the highest VOC just over 200v on the coldest days (-30C).

My Bergey XL1 already uses a 250, I'm wondering if I can "follow me" from the solar 250 reliably?  Do I have to install a Wbjr, or can one use absorb time to trigger follow me instead of end amps.  End amps doesn't work well with wind...you get a blast of power, the solar controller drops production and end amps is reached before absorb is finished (seen this many times with my MX60).

Any thoughts?

Sharp Panel specs:
Pmax 180w
Voc 44.8v
Isc 5.6a
Vpmax 35.86v
Ipmax 5.02a
10 amp fuse rating

mike90045

Unless you are in a bind and can't run larger PV wires, realize you loose MPPT efficiency and create a lot of heat when you get higher than 2x battery voltage on the PV array.   (and the heat is in the charge controller, which has to run fans)
http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar

Classic 200| 2Kw PV, 160Voc | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph )| Listeroid 6/1, st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | midnight ePanel & 4 SPDs | 48V, 800A NiFe battery bank | MS-TS-MPPT60 w/3Kw PV