PWM Divert equivalent to Classic AUX2 Waste Not?

Started by Iboondock, September 03, 2017, 11:33:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iboondock

Is the KID PWM Divert functionally equivalent to the Classic AUX2 Waste Not, i.e. will it smoothly power a SSR opportunity heat load while maintaining the charge level? And it appears the KID has the ability to maintain a whizbang jr for end amps charging at the same time?

If yes, does anyone have experience pairing a KID with a Classic, where the KID drives the SSR powering the opportunity load and both controllers use a whizbang jr for end amps charging?

Thanks

Highflyer

I have been doing this for several winters to heat a 600 gallon aquarium.  It works great!  My settings are a little different than what Midnite might tell you, but I want the heater on sooner on the days I have full sun.

It was harder to get the settings, but once I got them, I understood the values and what changing them would do for me.  I like the feature.  I have asked Mario for a "load on" setting based on SOC and amps available.  He promised to look into it when he has some time.  With everything going on there, I am not holding out hope for an answer soon.  In the mean time, PWM divert is working well enough.

For a heating element, there are several DC units available set up for 12, 24, and 48 Volts.
Brian

The one thing is the one thing

Iboondock

Quote from: Highflyer on September 06, 2017, 10:50:59 PM
I have been doing this for several winters to heat a 600 gallon aquarium.  It works great!  My settings are a little different than what Midnite might tell you, but I want the heater on sooner on the days I have full sun.

It was harder to get the settings, but once I got them, I understood the values and what changing them would do for me.  I like the feature.  I have asked Mario for a "load on" setting based on SOC and amps available.  He promised to look into it when he has some time.  With everything going on there, I am not holding out hope for an answer soon.  In the mean time, PWM divert is working well enough.

For a heating element, there are several DC units available set up for 12, 24, and 48 Volts.

Thanks Highflyer, that's helpful information. 

Highflyer

Glad to help.  This winter, I will be switching to a 48 volt system.  I'll update you after that change and let you know if I see a dramatic improvement with the same panels or not.

Also, I missed the other question.  Sorry, I do not yet have a classic in my system, but when I do, I'll most likely try that as well.
Brian

The one thing is the one thing