adding batteries to string?

Started by krementz, August 11, 2017, 08:54:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

krementz

I know adding batteries to a string is not recommended. However....

I have  4 Deka gel batteries installed a year ago. Most of the time they have been continuously charged from my large PV system, as if they were connected to the grid. They have only been on the small  PV system for 20-30 days, and never discharged to 50%.

I want to add 4 more identical batteries. I know I have to be careful about cabling lengths.

Would doing this be stupid, or just a minor degradation in capacity/life?
Way off grid
Old system: Outback 2524, 1200 W PV,  installed 2005, 384 amp hours
New System: 2 SMA 6048 with 2 Midnite Solar Classic 150 controllers, 5500 W PV, 1700 amp hours

ClassicCrazy

I think the issue if more with the age of the batteries - their life cycle begins with when they are manufactured.
So over time as the first batteries age and might need tweaking to their voltage or ending amps setpoint, it would be more difficult to do with some one age and the other different.

So not recommended but that doesn't mean I wouldn't do it depending on if you are talking about series or parallel , the expectations for lifespan, the use, and monetary costs compared to replacing the whole pack.  There are a few considerations to think about. 

Ideal would be to try to find someone who would want to buy your 4 batteries for a halfway decent price and replace them all with new ones.

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable