PRE- firmware upgrade advice request

Started by openplanet, September 11, 2017, 02:16:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

openplanet

I have a Classic 200, Firmware rev. 1849, Network rev. 1839.
Haven't upgraded firmware because haven't had problems and haven't lacked functionality.

I have now doubled my array and added a Classic 150, Firmware rev. 2126, Network rev. 2122
BEFORE activating this second Classic I figure I should upgrade both units to the latest firmware.

Given all the posts about firmware upgrade nightmares, I'd like to get any advice anyone cares to give.
Yes, I've read the upgrade-related posts, and tried to glean whatever wisdom I can in order to maximize my chances for success...but I'd also like, as I said, any additional input that might help.

Thank you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIANk7zQ05w

Westbranch

what O/S are you using?  W7 and up have worked well for a lot of us will have read...  it's just the initiation that may get you..

my latest FW update and W7 with the new implanter was over before I could believe it, compared to earlier versions.

enjoy and learn...
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

KyleM

We have recently changed the application we use for software updates to make them much less troublesome.

We also put together 2 different documents that give great instruction that will cover most operating systems.

They are listed under the software section of the Midnitesolar web page.

FYI  unless you are going to be using the follow me connection having multiple Classics running different SW is possible.

Kyle

openplanet

I definitely need to use follow me.
Is jumping so many versions an issue?
Thx.

Westbranch

KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

openplanet

Vic

Hi openplanet,

First,   after the advent of doing the VMM (reset Classic to Default values),   there does not seem to be any issue with doing Updates on Classics that have FirmWare that is a number of years behind the current rev.

A few months ago,   Updated the FW in all Classics here,  and  the first two went SO smoothly,   and quickly that it was amazin'.   The third Classic took a few tries,   but  went perfectly,   after disconnecting the Network cable.

Here is a bit more info:
http://midniteftp.com/forum/index.php?topic=3772.0

The new Programmer/Updater  seems to work very smoothly.   The earlier Updater seemed to mostly have issues caused by Microsoft  and the way that they do,   and do not do things   ...

The Classics here were also going from 1849 to 2126 FW.

Personally,   I would not be reluctant to do the Update,   based upon experience with the new Programmer.  If you have Internet access available at the site/s where the Classics to be Updated,   so much the better.

FWIW,   Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

openplanet

That's extremely reassuring Vic, and I greatly appreciate it.
Looks like firmware update woes may be a think of the past.
I'm planning to do mine in a few days; will report back.
Thanks again.

australsolarier

i noticed avg internet security app thinks that update file is a trojan horse. whilst moving the file from one disk to another it pops up and does not want to transfer it.

krementz

It is an embarrassingly primitive update procedure. I updated two Classics to the current 2126 firmware a few months ago.

First, make sure you can find an antique USB-mini connector. They were deprecated a decade ago, in May 2007 - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB#Mini_connectors. The installation manual says they are included with the unit, but they aren't.

Finding the USB-mini connection on the Classic was not obvious; I needed a mirror and flashlight.

The USB to serial driver is NOT validated, so Windows and most anti-virus programs will flag it as unauthorized (and possibly dangerous malware) You need to override it. I don't think there is any problem, but it reeks that something as essential as a driver is not authenticated.

The update proceeds at something like 1200 baud - remember baud? Or in modern terms, 0.0012 mbps. Modern computers have USB ports that are 480 to 20,000 mbps.

I read about some people having problems using Windows 10. I resurrected an antique version of Windows XP, which worked in a VMWare window on my Mac.

Even though the upgrade is not documented, it did solve some anomalies. My previous firmwares were over 100 revisions old, and unmatched by at least 50 revisions.

There is a "voice" beta version of the firmware, that I strongly advise to stay away from. Get your updated system running and stable before adding an annoying voice to irritate you.

Way off grid
Old system: Outback 2524, 1200 W PV,  installed 2005, 384 amp hours
New System: 2 SMA 6048 with 2 Midnite Solar Classic 150 controllers, 5500 W PV, 1700 amp hours

australsolarier

the new windows 10 updater works like a dream, compared to the procedure they had before. 30 steps. and took about an hour.  but hei, they improved the firmware incredibly, like adding the whizbang jr. and smoothing out hitches.

and yes they used to include the usb cable. at first faulty ones. and now the cable is not included anymore.

and i agree, i am not too keen on the talking feature.

openplanet

Sheesh...said I'd report back, thought I'd reported back, but hadn't.

The new upgrade procedure is outstanding.  Went without a hitch.

That's the long and the short of it.  Thanks!