Kid freezes, stops charging

Started by Timmy, August 25, 2017, 08:49:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timmy

I've had my kid in place on my boat for several months now. It's hooked up to a couple of Suniva OPT295s and charges a 24v battery bank (4x 6v). I have been busy with other things lately and there have been now 3 occasions where I've come back to my boat after about a full week and my kid is "frozen" and not functioning. There is still text on the screen, but it does not respond to button presses and clearly has not charged since whenever it locked up. My installation is by the book minus the LPD, and the kid/panels have no chassis "ground" currently. I have no load circuit hooked up, and no special settings, all default. A quick flip of my breakers and it boots right up and goes into bulkmppt. Any idea what gives?

ClassicCrazy

What version is the firmware ?
You have two PV panels - are they in series so the voltage is high enough to charge 24v ?
I don't specifically remember anything in the past with that issue caused by firmware but it is always good to make sure it is up to date.
I would make sure it isn't in the master slave modes because I think there were some issues with that .
It would be a good idea to go through all the settings after it is booted up.
Do you have a Whizbang on it ?
So first thing would be firmware update , then go through all the settings and make sure  you set them as you would like for  your batteries.
With a system that is constantly floating which is what yours must be doing with no loads , it would good to run your batteries down some so you can ensure they charge back up - especially if you have flooded lead acid because the electrolyte can stratify . On my lead acid I would set the Equalize with Absorb setpoint voltage but a longer time so it could mix up the electrolyte - like every 10 days or so.
Even if you have AGM you probably want to test them by putting on a load and check voltages on each battery to make sure they are performing as they are supposed to .

Larry 
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

Timmy

It's charging great when it's on, they are in series and usually around 65-75v in sun.

No Whizbang.

Didn't modify any original settings, but will take your advice about the equalize and absorb as they do spend about 90% of their life floating and they are flooded.

Will check on the firmware today.

boB

Is there only one Kid ?  Not using the feature where one Kid controls another Kid ?  I  DO know of a
software but that has since been fixed where the Kid will freeze like you described.

I can't remember what the mode is called though.  It has to do with the communications
connection between the two kids.  Maybe if that is enabled,  without another Kid connected
to it it might do this ?   I don't know.  I've only seen it with two Kids connected
in a master-slave type connection.  Did NOT try it with the feature enabled and
the connection pulled.  Maybe it does it without the connection ?

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Jfet

My Kid just did the same thing today.   Sun was out but the Kid was not charging and nothing you pressed on the screen would change things.  The first green led was the only one lit, the one that says battery is at full charge.

Is this a firmware bug that if the battery gets to full charge the Kid locks up?  There is no watchdog timer in the microcontroller code? (that is like freshman in college EE stuff)

I will check what firmware I have but I bought the Kid new early this summer from NAWS.

A flip of the circuit breakers I installed between the kid and batteries and the kid and panels reset it and now it is charging again.

Jfet

Firmware version on mine is 1840

The input to my single Kid is a 270 watt panel VOC ~37 volts

The battery bank is two 12V lifeline AGM 125AH connected in parallel.

A really simple setup.  I have only seen this lockup for the first time today.

ClassicCrazy

Quote from: Jfet on September 12, 2017, 08:24:00 PM
Firmware version on mine is 1840

The input to my single Kid is a 270 watt panel VOC ~37 volts

The battery bank is two 12V lifeline AGM 125AH connected in parallel.

A really simple setup.  I have only seen this lockup for the first time today.

You should update the firmware since the newest version is 1856.
Just make sure you follow the directions exactly especially the part for Windows 8 /10 directions below the 1856 link.

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

Westbranch

Agree with update , and like our other  beloved computers, that reset after a power down.... sometimes,  ::)

a factory reset (also called a Vulcan Mind Meld) can be done.....
Before you flip the breakers ON, press  and hold in the < and > arrows down until the screen settles on, IIRC, SOLAR...
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

Timmy

I didn't have this problem again after posting so I never looked into it, but unfortunately it's back. Going to try a firmware update...did you have any luck Jfet?

Edit - Noticed dev log for 1860 (Oct 1) firmware says "fixes sporadic kid freezes". Hope this does the trick.

Westbranch

KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come