Re-Lion 300 AH Lithium Battery

Started by Solar trucker, September 27, 2017, 10:35:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solar trucker

Has anyone started using this type of battery and if
so, what charging profiles are you using assuming
your using classic controllers!
1.65 KW-RV 12V system of Sunpower Panels Classic 150 with BTS and WBJR and a Kid-6 x 6V US Batteries, 696 AH FLA-Magnum Energy MS-2812 Inverter, All Interior and Exterior Lights in the RV were replaced with LED's

Ottawa Canada (Summer) - SW Arizona (Winter)

ClassicCrazy

Have a link to the battery you are talking about ?
A lot depends on the lithium chemistry it is .

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

Solar trucker

Hey Larry, I can't seem to find any info on the web
regarding this battery.  I've been told an AGM
profile will do it..but I'm curious about the temp
comp factor and how do I limit continuous float
which isn't required on the LiFePo?
1.65 KW-RV 12V system of Sunpower Panels Classic 150 with BTS and WBJR and a Kid-6 x 6V US Batteries, 696 AH FLA-Magnum Energy MS-2812 Inverter, All Interior and Exterior Lights in the RV were replaced with LED's

ClassicCrazy

Quote from: Solar trucker on September 27, 2017, 08:30:14 PM
Hey Larry, I can't seem to find any info on the web
regarding this battery.  I've been told an AGM
profile will do it..but I'm curious about the temp
comp factor and how do I limit continuous float
which isn't required on the LiFePo?

You really need to find the manufacturers info for charging limits. And some of it depends on if this battery has built in BMS .
For my Calb LiFePO4 batteries I don't have a temp comp but you can't charge them below freezing ( hoping a charge cutoff temp option is added to Classic firmware some day ) .
If you look up in the forums here for Bottom Balancing you will see more details which is the way I charge mine . Can't say if it would work for the other type battery .  For my 48v system I charge up to 56v and let the Whizbang and Ending Amps end the charge at 5 amps for my 100 ah pack. Then it goes to float at 54v .  This has been working okay so far for my setup but may not be suitable for other lithium . I had to spend some time draining all the cells in my batteries first and that is why they call it bottom balancing.

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

Solar trucker

Thanks for that input Larry...yes I hope the classic
will incorporate a low temp cut off in upcoming
software upgrades...I'm going to build an insulated
Battery enclosure and install a tank heater in it
to make sure the battery is always above 0 deg C

ClassicCrazy

Was trying to look up those ReLion batteries  - there seems to be a lot of different claims and prices on them . One says 300 AH but shows 75 AH battery and then specs say 300 AH for 3 to 5 seconds.  One shows over $2500 , another around $1000 .
They don't mention anything about BMS .

There is a new US company making 12v LiFePO4 batteries in Reno , Nevada - I saw a video about them  from the solar place out east.
https://youtu.be/-0QMKAXZo6k
Wind Sun also sells them
https://www.solar-electric.com/battle-born-bb10012-100ah-12v-lithium-battery.html

Larry
system 1
system 2
system 3
KID / Brat portable

Solar trucker

I finally did the switch over to the lithium and monitored the process
over the next 3 days.. got some charging profiles from the manufacturer.
Everything seems to be humming along fine. The only area for concern
that I can see is that they don't suggest much of a charge when the battery
is at 0 deg or less, so I built a very well insulated battery box with tank
heater installed to take care of that situation if and when that situation
Arises....
I'm definitely impressed with the litiium's capability of maintaining a very
constant system voltage even under reasonable draw...and the recharge
capability is phenomenally better than flooded cells!

harryn

Attempting to charge LiFe below 0 C / 32 F is really bad and the general performance drops off dramatically below 40 F. 

Your idea of insulation and heating is good - we do the same things with the packs we build, but also have a built in disconnect for low temperatures.