Classic 200 fans always running

Started by dapago, October 21, 2017, 03:56:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dapago

Hello to the community,

A bit worried about my Classic 200 fans always running. I use to have a 150 before and the fans were not running always). Any ideas why? And can this become an issue? 140/155V is entering the classic on a normal day. Maybe that is why BUT I am still under the Classic 200 VDC
THe ambient temp is around 30 Celsius.
I could rewired the PV to 2s4p (instead of 4s2p) and run more cable to the CC but will I be able to EQ properly? I have attached the panel spec.
Thanks
Off-grid. Midnight Classic 200. 2,480W array wired (8x310W/2P, 4S) .Magnum Inverter MS4448PAE. 8*225Ah @48V Trojan T105RE Smart Carbon. MN bkrs box.

Vic

Hi dapdan,

Assume that the PV input voltage when you were using the Classic 150 was lower than with the 4S PV on the Classic 200.

The fans on my 150s  seem to run when the PCB or FET temperatures are above about 50 degrees C.

30 C is warm,   but not really hot.    Warm,  to hot ambient temps  will cause the Classic to get warm,   and the internal fans to run.

Also,   seems that the latest Classic Firmware  on the 150s here  have the fans run internal fans to run a bit more often (this is not scientific).

You are correct,   that 2S of those PVs with a 37.0 Vmp  would generally not be a good match for a 48 V system,   especially  if the batteries are Flooded types.

FWIW,    Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

dapago

Vic. Yes flooded.

I understand that the perpetual fans running is due to the high voltaje (140/155V) the CC gets from the PV and maybe the ambient temp.
So I have to accept that the classic will ALWAYS runs the fans all day?
The other solution could be to add 1 panel and wire the PV 3S3P? Would that works well with my paneles and a 48V system?
Is it possible to cool the CC with an external fan?
Off-grid. Midnight Classic 200. 2,480W array wired (8x310W/2P, 4S) .Magnum Inverter MS4448PAE. 8*225Ah @48V Trojan T105RE Smart Carbon. MN bkrs box.

CDN-VT

My Classics make that NICE sound when working !!
You look warm , I'm 49th cold lat & a warm day is 20c & they are on when they work in the summer .
Mount the Classic ' S on a heat sink ( I have mounted mine on one ) .
Kinda normal !

VT
Canadian Solar 350W 37.6 VOC  30.6 VMP 8.22 ISC 7.87 IMP ,-15 c +30c max  4 strings in 2 in Series for 24v Classic 150 -1020 Ah  Freezers & fridges ~~~ Second Array same panels of 3sx3 parallel for 24 V Classic 150 -440 Ah Outback Barns & out blds.
48Vdc almost done,11Strings up of 3s11P same panels

Highflyer

Dapago,

If you have a ninth panel, I would run 3s3p.  The voltage would be high enough to do all the work(including EQ), and low enough to allow the classic to work less to capture that power.  I would bet the fan will still run during the summer, but I bet it will run less.  And you will most likely capture more power.

Of course I am no expert, so your milage may vary.
Brian

The one thing is the one thing

bee88man

Yes, it is possible to cool w/ external fan(s)

For any AC fans, I would only recommed a 'PSC' motor and steer away from any power hog ' shaded pole' motor...watt/watt PSC is double the CFMs over shaded pole and last wayyy longer...so are truely wayyy cheaper to run in the long term.

Choosing DC fan is more about mfgr reputation...

Vic

Quote from: dapago on October 21, 2017, 09:06:43 PM
Vic. Yes flooded.

I understand that the perpetual fans running is due to the high voltaje (140/155V) the CC gets from the PV and maybe the ambient temp.
So I have to accept that the classic will ALWAYS runs the fans all day?
The other solution could be to add 1 panel and wire the PV 3S3P? Would that works well with my paneles and a 48V system?
Is it possible to cool the CC with an external fan?

Hi dapdan,

Yes  high-ish PV input voltage creates more heating in the CC than would lower Vin.   More heating means that the fans will need to run more,   as will warm-ish ambient temperatures.

And,   yes,   3S strings are about the best that one can do  for your moderate Winter temperatures,   with those PVs on a 48 V  Flooded battery system.  Of course,   there would be a bit of additional voltage drop when going to three strings  of three PVs in series,   and  ideally you would want to have a Combiner  with one breaker per string when going with 3S3P.   You might already have a Combiner in the system.

The main residence system here has run strings of three PVs (106 V  String Vmp) with a Classic 150 for almost seven years.   The power room has priority A/C  with average Summer ambient temps In that room of about 70 F (when the PVs are producing).   The fans on that/those Cl 150s run fairly often,   but still seem to be working fine (although there is a bit of a buzziness in the fan sound).

The Classics are a tough CC,   and the fans seem to be high quality,   and up to the task,   IMO.

The Classic 200,  and 250 CC do sacrifice a little bit of efficiency compared to the 150,  so,  even with identical Vin and ambient temps,   they  will experience a bit more internal heating,   and therefore somewhat more fan run-time.

FWIW,   Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.

dapago

Quote from: CDN-VT on October 22, 2017, 01:58:29 AM
You look warm , I'm 49th cold lat & a warm day is 20c & they are on when they work in the summer .
Kinda normal !

VT

Sorry for my poor knowledge but What is a heat sink?

dapago

Quote from: bee88man on October 22, 2017, 10:31:06 AM
Yes, it is possible to cool w/ external fan(s)

For any AC fans, I would only recommed a 'PSC' motor and steer away from any power hog ' shaded pole' motor...watt/watt PSC is double the CFMs over shaded pole and last wayyy longer...so are truely wayyy cheaper to run in the long term.

Choosing DC fan is more about mfgr reputation...

Well maybe a bit complicated to find those fans in the country where I am living (Nicaragua). I would have to import them from the states.

dapago

Vic,
I have A MNDC125 connecting box. Is it what you call à Combiner?

Regarding the 3S3P config, that would be the best. Just have to add 1 panel but I do not have the space for it :-( . See pic
I was hoping for an other alternative but it seems that there is not.

dapago

Quote from: Highflyer on October 22, 2017, 10:22:30 AM
Dapago,

If you have a ninth panel, I would run 3s3p.  The voltage would be high enough to do all the work(including EQ), and low enough to allow the classic to work less to capture that power.  I would bet the fan will still run during the summer, but I bet it will run less.  And you will most likely capture more power.

Of course I am no expert, so your milage may vary.

Well here temp never drops below 26 Celsius. Appart from that I do not have a ninth panel and I have no more room to install an other one. I suppose I will have to accept the cc fans are running ALL YEAR LONG and hope that they do not fail .... or cool the cc an other way (no AC solution is possible)

CDN-VT

Quote from: dapago on October 22, 2017, 06:07:31 PM
Kinda normal !

VT

No Poor Knowledge , But a good question  !!

https://www.google.com/search?q=heat+sink&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiCieaF1oXXAhUB32MKHYKtD3cQ_AUICygC&biw=1280&bih=654

So Mine is flat on the back side of the CC & finned on the back side(of the CC) extracting extra heat into it & I blow the air down & back with one small fan of 4 wire speed controlled.

VT
Canadian Solar 350W 37.6 VOC  30.6 VMP 8.22 ISC 7.87 IMP ,-15 c +30c max  4 strings in 2 in Series for 24v Classic 150 -1020 Ah  Freezers & fridges ~~~ Second Array same panels of 3sx3 parallel for 24 V Classic 150 -440 Ah Outback Barns & out blds.
48Vdc almost done,11Strings up of 3s11P same panels

dapago

Quote from: CDN-VT on October 22, 2017, 10:21:17 PM
Quote from: dapago on October 22, 2017, 06:07:31 PM
Kinda normal !

VT

No Poor Knowledge , But a good question  !!

https://www.google.com/search?q=heat+sink&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiCieaF1oXXAhUB32MKHYKtD3cQ_AUICygC&biw=1280&bih=654

So Mine is flat on the back side of the CC & finned on the back side(of the CC) extracting extra heat into it & I blow the air down & back with one small fan of 4 wire speed controlled.

VT

Oh yes did not know it was called a heatsink. Could have looked on google before to ask  :o.
If you have time, could you take a pic of your cooling method and post it?  :D ;D

Sorry to bother you but how can it be “flat on the back side of the CC & finned on the back side(of the CC)”. Did you  mean  flat on the back side of the cc & finned on the support (walls, wood panel or wherever your cc is mounted on)?
What kind of fan do you use? How do you power it?
Thanks

Vic

Hi dapago ..

YES,   looks like you planned on 4S2P,   and that will work with the Classic 200.   If there is no room for a ninth PV,   and you do not have that additional PV,   then just run what you have in 4S2P.

Many times our systems are not ideal,  but we need to do what we can and works out anyway.

External fans on Classics and other CCs can help cooling quite a lot,    and worth a try.

Good Luck with the new system.   Vic

dapago

Quote from: Vic on October 23, 2017, 04:01:56 PM
Hi dapago ..

YES,   looks like you planned on 4S2P,   and that will work with the Classic 200.   If there is no room for a ninth PV,   and you do not have that additional PV,   then just run what you have in 4S2P.

Many times our systems are not ideal,  but we need to do what we can and works out anyway.

External fans on Classics and other CCs can help cooling quite a lot,    and worth a try.

Good Luck with the new system.   Vic

Thanks Vic. As always, your comments are highly appreciated. Nevertheless there is a special and personal gratification to get the most balanced and “perfect” install. No matter its size.
I suppose this need to “do the best” is part of the humans instincts that make us always want to discover and evolve.