Where is the End Amp Setting?

Started by Matrix, October 22, 2017, 11:58:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matrix

I have the latest firmware. Cannot find the End Amp Setting. I do not see it in the charge menu. I don't have a whizbang yet. Arrives tomorrow.
Grid-Assist Off-Grid
REC TwinPeak 2 285W 3S-3P 2565w-STC 1926w-NMOT Array / Classic 150 / Conext SW 4024 Inverter
Trojan L16H-AC 435Ah bank 4S  with 7' of 4/0 cable
24 volt system /  Need 3200Whs Daily
My System Install

binkino

Have you set AUX2 to WBJr. option?
Did you try / setup the LocalApp? The App makes headaches but it is much more comfortable then hangling thru menus for most important settings
PV-OUTPUT: http://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?id=38617
Classic Lite 200 + Classic 200 + Easun ISolar-SMX-II-5.6KW + 12x240Wp + 12x255Wp + 2x10kWh LFP
http://a68k.de/Solar/Monitor_LC2.php

Vic

Quote from: Matrix on October 22, 2017, 11:58:49 PM
I have the latest firmware. Cannot find the End Amp Setting. I do not see it in the charge menu. I don't have a whizbang yet. Arrives tomorrow.

YES,   The EA setting is in the;  Charge > Advanced    Menu,   on the left of that screen IIRC.

Then you will want to configure the WbJr Setup screend.    Ask if you need additional help after installing the WbJr on theShunt.

The WbJr IS a terrific and very functional,   inexpensive addition to MidNite CCs!

Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

Matrix

Thanks ... I found it in the Local App about 2 am this morning.  The traced it back on the Classic Control screen today.  It is not called End Amps on the LED ... I think that is why I could not find it.

Got the WhizBang installed today.  Wow !!  What fun.  How accurate is that thing for info like Amp Hours used from your battery?   If that is accurate, that alone makes it worth it's weight in gold. 

Really enjoying the WhizBang Jr
Grid-Assist Off-Grid
REC TwinPeak 2 285W 3S-3P 2565w-STC 1926w-NMOT Array / Classic 150 / Conext SW 4024 Inverter
My System Install

Westbranch

that alone makes it worth it's weight in gold.

Yes it is worth that, and more! Enjoy
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

Vic

Matrix,

The Net Ah is very accurate.   It is counted from the total Amp Hour (AH) going into and out of the battery.

If the battery was actually fully-charged in the previous charge cycle,   this is a good indication of Net AH.   BUT,  of course there are many,  many variables when trying to determine the AH Remaining,   SOC,   etc.   For Lead Acid (LA) batteries,  the Rate that current was removed from the battery is a very important variable,   and its effect on remaining AH and SOC  is very large.   There are other variables that are difficult for we end-users to determine or know.   The guess that we make regarding the battery AH Efficiency  is also important,   this varies,   and is subject to battery aging ...

In addition,   even if one knew just what were the main variables  at one point,   there are battery-aging effects,   and the effects from battery temperature (high,  low,   average,  etc),   average/peak charge rates  ...  plus  many others.

Just like living organisms,   LA batteries are reasonably complex,   and just one more relationship on our Off Grid llives.

And so on,    FWIW,    opinions,    Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.

Matrix

Quote from: Vic on October 25, 2017, 03:46:29 PM
Matrix,

The Net Ah is very accurate.   It is counted from the total Amp Hour (AH) going into and out of the battery.
Cant fully wrap my head around Net Ah yet.  Is that reset every day at a certain time ... or is it based on single cycle in and out ... or is it cumulative over time.  Any feed back on that Net Ah figure would be interesting. 
Grid-Assist Off-Grid
My System Install

Vic

Hi Matrix,

When the Classic makes its transition from Absorb to Float (NOT,  if you happen to Force Float),   this Net AH display on the WbJr page in the Main Status menu> More,   on the Classic LCD,   or in the Local App (LA) is reset to 0.   Because the Classic assumes that either the Absorb Time,   OR  the EA have been correctly set by the user,   the battery IS fully-charged,  so the Classic will begin tallying  the charge and discharge currents (Net AH)  into/out of the battery to help approximate the relative charge in the battery.

If we either Skip Days (set in the Advanced menu),   OR if there is insufficient charge power on a given day to fully charge the battery,   the  SOC  and Remaining AH  will tend to drift from reality,   due to all of the variables that affect LA batteries  --  some of which were mentioned previously.

More later,   Vic

Matrix

Hey ... take me thru this one too.  Just saw this tonight.  I am very new at all this and have had the CC up for 10 days ... the WBJ since Monday.    Tonight after the sun went down ... the Classic amps are 0 as expected as ... but the WBJ is reporting -4.2 amps.  All day long the WBJ was under the Classic amps.  And I set the End Amp End Point for transition from Absorb to Float off of the behavior of the WBJ amps and not the Classic amps.

Why is the WBJ reading -4.5 amps.  Did I miss a calibration setting somewhere?  Would I have have my Absorb End Point set to low?
Grid-Assist Off-Grid
My System Install

Vic

Quote from: Matrix on October 25, 2017, 08:27:27 PM

...   Why is the WBJ reading -4.5 amps.  Did I miss a calibration setting somewhere?  Would I have have my Absorb End Point set to low?

Hi Matrix,

All that the -4.5  means,   is that the batteries are supplying that amount of current (Net)  to your Inverter/loads.   The first Status page for the WbJr shows the Net current flowing into/out of your batteries ...

FWIW,   Good question,    Vic

Matrix

Good morning.

So thinking I am starting to get end amps etc set up and dialed in.

As I look at Net Ah this morning ... I am seeing -77 ah after a night of discharging.

System is 24v
Battery capacity is 435 ah and batteries are new (less than 15 cycles)
Classic reports I used 96 ahs
Classic reports battery charge is 77%
Actual resting voltage everything off including CC and inverter is 24.8v tested at the posts with DVM

So what is the Net Ah of -77 telling me.
Grid-Assist Off-Grid
My System Install

Vic

Matrix,

The -77 Net Ah  is saying that since the last full-charge (which resets  the Net Ah to 00),  the Net into/out of the battery is negative by 77 Ah,   from the theoretical Capacity of 435 Ah.

Since you seem to still be using EA to end Absorb,   keep an eye on the battery charge current in Absorb,   verses the SG readings when in Float for that charge cycle (the same day that you were watching the tapering of battery charge current).   The behavior of the battery bank can drift around a bit as the batteries break-in.

More later,     Vic

Vic

Matrix

Thanks Vic

Also, now that the day is over and charging cycle complete... The battery is saying 99% charged. But the battery went off absorb so I did another forced absorb.... And when that ended it still says 99%. And Ah iis 434.  Is that due to a wrong setting in battery efficiency?
Grid-Assist Off-Grid
My System Install

Vic

Matrix,

Battery temperature  affects the Remaining Ah.   A battery temperature that is below your set Reference temperature  should show reduced Remaining Ah,   but  should not affect the SOC percentage.

When the Classic makes its own transition from Absorb to Float,  the SOC should show 100%,   and if the battery temp is below the Reference temp,  the Remaining Ah would be reduced.

If  there has been some loads on the system that exceed the PV's power production,  the battery will supply some current for the loads,  and could result in the SOC to be reduced.

One added note; when the CC is unable to supply enough power to maintain the Float (or EQ) voltage,   you will see a "  -MPPT  "  at the end of the charge stage shown on the Classic LCD display,   or on the Local App (LA).   You will also note that  the Vflt (or Veq)  will be somewhat lower than would be the case if there was not that -MPPT on the charge stage indication.

So,  perhaps you did not happen to see the  display just as the CC went to Float,   to note the SOC and Remaining Ah at that time ...   perhaps the CC did not have enough PV power to maintain the  full-charge status,   and the battery was discharged a bit in the interim, before you looked at the LCD/LA.

Just some guesses,   perhaps I am missing some other reasons.

FWIW,   Vic

Matrix

I am using the Classic Monitor App and the Midnite Solar Local App.    The Classic Monitor App displays a lot more for the Classic 150's info.  And this is where I am reading the SOC as 99% (which I would assume would be the same on the classic 150 displaly screen).

But it has nothing to do with the Battery Efficiency setting?    Or some other setting?

I broke my glass Hydro 2 days ago.  I ordered a Temp Comped Hydro Volt and it arrives tomorrow.   I think it will be a bit more durable and a bit more readable.  I have not idea of the Accuracy of that unit.  But I had no idea of the accuracy of my glass temp comped unit either. 
Grid-Assist Off-Grid
My System Install