Author Topic: Homeles Shelter  (Read 165 times)

Robin

Homeles Shelter
« on: November 01, 2017, 02:54:55 PM »
Last winter we were doing a lot of testing of the upcoming SOB project. We will start shipping these in November 2017. Peter, one of our electrical engineers had to work outside in the cold and rain. He worked under our 20,000 watt ground mounted and home made solar array. To attempt to keep warm, Peter put up a blue tarp and hooked up a portable heater. It didn't work that well. One day I saw that he had put up a cardboard sign next to the blue tarp. It read "anything helps".
OK, I got the message. We started enclosing the underside of the solar array to keep the cold out. Well, we sort of got carried away. We now have a fully stocked engineering lab with 23,000 watts of PV, tons of grid tie inverters, battery based inverters and a few dozen different charge controllers along with battery banks. The part I like the best is the air conditioner, heater, fridge, microwave, couch, TV, stereo and coffee maker. There are work benches for electronic test equipment and such too.
I like it because it is hard for people to find me out there. I can actually get things done! The building I normally work out of doesn't have air conditioning, so the Homeless shelter is great on those hot summer days.
This "solar Lab" will be of great importance for testing the B17-3, B17-5, Rosie, Little Rosie, Andy's three inverters and Jim's three inverters. Oh yeah, we will also be testing two new charge controllers there also. One is called the Big Kid and the other is called the Little Kid.
Lots of projects. Peter is now spoiled. He doesn't like to work at his real desk anymore.
I have some early pictures of the Homeless shelter. It is much better outfitted today, but this will give you an idea of what we have to work in.
Robin Gudgel

Westbranch

• Building System (sort of) 1 weekend at a time
Re: Homeles Shelter
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2017, 04:27:21 PM »
Robin I notice that the SMA unit and a bunch of others have NO SPD's... 

I only see them on the Magnum and Outback units???  Are the rest just for show?
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub Hughes 1100 Sat. Modem
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

Robin

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2017, 05:30:08 PM »
The SMA probably does have SPD's, but they are out of view on the bottom of the E-Panel. You can only see the inverter on this picture.
The other E-Panels on the all are engineering prototypes. Engineers never wire things up correctly. Takes too much time. Since they already know our SPD's work, they probably just skipped this step. I will get Gordon to add them.
I am working on an E-Panel system for the Rosie and Big Kid. I think you all will like it. It sort of reminds me of a cross between Buck Rogers and Aliens!
Robin Gudgel

Highflyer

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2017, 04:18:57 PM »
Robin,

Any chance there is a picture or two of Rosie and the Big Kid you could show us?

Can't wait for the system to become available.
Brian

The one thing is the one thing

onanparts

• onanparts.com
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2017, 08:36:48 PM »
Robin,

Any chance there is a picture or two of Rosie and the Big Kid you could show us?

Can't wait for the system to become available.

No Big Kid pics but here is an early 3D printed prototype of the Willy/Rosie. Plus a couple homeless shelter pics including a few homeless engineers! :) Note the "portable laptop desk" on wheels. A true Homeless Engineer!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 08:47:24 PM by onanparts »
I got the deluxe kit, it had a solar cell and a meter.

Robin

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2017, 12:34:32 AM »
Here is a start.
Robin Gudgel

Highflyer

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2017, 03:03:22 PM »
Oh My and WOW doesn't do it justice.

I need more panels, and batteries!

Holy crap I can't wait.
Brian

The one thing is the one thing

Robin

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2017, 11:28:29 PM »
I was hoping that would be the response! This system is going to be very cool!
Robin Gudgel

russ_drinkwater

• Power companies pay me for power!
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2017, 03:14:54 PM »
Looks sexy! ;D ;)
Standalone. 20 Hyundai x 220 watts panels, 2 x classic 150's, Latronics 24 volt 3kw inverter, Whiz bang Jnr, 12 Rolls surrete  4KS 25P  batteries and WBJ.
Grid tie feed-in, 12.5 kw in 3 arrays generating 50 kws per day average. Solar river grid tie inverters