News:

To visit MidNite Solar click this link www.midnitesolar.com

Main Menu

Homeles Shelter

Started by Robin, November 01, 2017, 02:54:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robin

Last winter we were doing a lot of testing of the upcoming SOB project. We will start shipping these in November 2017. Peter, one of our electrical engineers had to work outside in the cold and rain. He worked under our 20,000 watt ground mounted and home made solar array. To attempt to keep warm, Peter put up a blue tarp and hooked up a portable heater. It didn't work that well. One day I saw that he had put up a cardboard sign next to the blue tarp. It read "anything helps".
OK, I got the message. We started enclosing the underside of the solar array to keep the cold out. Well, we sort of got carried away. We now have a fully stocked engineering lab with 23,000 watts of PV, tons of grid tie inverters, battery based inverters and a few dozen different charge controllers along with battery banks. The part I like the best is the air conditioner, heater, fridge, microwave, couch, TV, stereo and coffee maker. There are work benches for electronic test equipment and such too.
I like it because it is hard for people to find me out there. I can actually get things done! The building I normally work out of doesn't have air conditioning, so the Homeless shelter is great on those hot summer days.
This "solar Lab" will be of great importance for testing the B17-3, B17-5, Rosie, Little Rosie, Andy's three inverters and Jim's three inverters. Oh yeah, we will also be testing two new charge controllers there also. One is called the Big Kid and the other is called the Little Kid.
Lots of projects. Peter is now spoiled. He doesn't like to work at his real desk anymore.
I have some early pictures of the Homeless shelter. It is much better outfitted today, but this will give you an idea of what we have to work in.
Robin Gudgel

Westbranch

Robin I notice that the SMA unit and a bunch of others have NO SPD's... 

I only see them on the Magnum and Outback units???  Are the rest just for show?
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

Robin

The SMA probably does have SPD's, but they are out of view on the bottom of the E-Panel. You can only see the inverter on this picture.
The other E-Panels on the all are engineering prototypes. Engineers never wire things up correctly. Takes too much time. Since they already know our SPD's work, they probably just skipped this step. I will get Gordon to add them.
I am working on an E-Panel system for the Rosie and Big Kid. I think you all will like it. It sort of reminds me of a cross between Buck Rogers and Aliens!
Robin Gudgel

Highflyer

Robin,

Any chance there is a picture or two of Rosie and the Big Kid you could show us?

Can't wait for the system to become available.
Brian

The one thing is the one thing

onanparts

Quote from: Highflyer on November 08, 2017, 04:18:57 PM
Robin,

Any chance there is a picture or two of Rosie and the Big Kid you could show us?

Can't wait for the system to become available.

No Big Kid pics but here is an early 3D printed prototype of the Willy/Rosie. Plus a couple homeless shelter pics including a few homeless engineers! :) Note the "portable laptop desk" on wheels. A true Homeless Engineer!
I got the deluxe kit, it had a solar cell and a meter.

Midnite B17-10. 50kW Cont. 150kW Surge... Me/Myself/And/I

Robin

Here is a start.
Robin Gudgel

Highflyer

Oh My and WOW doesn't do it justice.

I need more panels, and batteries!

Holy crap I can't wait.
Brian

The one thing is the one thing

Robin

I was hoping that would be the response! This system is going to be very cool!
Robin Gudgel

russ_drinkwater

Standalone. 20 Hyundai x 220 watts panels, 2 x classic 150's, Latronics 24 volt 3kw inverter, Whiz bang Jnr, 12 Rolls surrete  4KS 25P  batteries and WBJ.
Grid tie feed-in, 12.5 kw in 3 arrays generating 50 kws per day average. Solar river grid tie inverters

harryn

Looks really interesting.

Anything that you can do to make it easy to install over size wires and 5/16th inch ring lugs on ALL wire connections would be much appreciated for my applications.

Thanks

Harry

Robin

UL doesn't like forcing end customers to use large ring terminals. Customers typically don't have 10,000PSI crimping machines!
We will accommodate very large cables though.
The Rosie inverter has 8mm studs. That is about the same as 5/16". I like to use metric on user hardware because when it gets lost, you can get replacements anywhere in the world.
The Big Kid will accept at least 2AWG wires.
Robin Gudgel

Westbranch

Has Santa been using the Shelter to store any NEW gifties we are unaware of so far??

Sure would be nice to jump for joy at the unwrapping of a New MidNite Riveter...

We've all been good this well at least I have this year...

Not so sure about Nigel... he's having too much fun with his manlift...
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,

Robin

There are new things in the homeless shelter for sure. The problem they have to work first. Then we can try to blow them up. Won't be long now.
Robin Gudgel

CDN-VT

Quote from: Westbranch on December 14, 2017, 10:52:41 PM

We've all been good this well at least I have this year...

Not so sure about Nigel... he's having too much fun with his manlift...

My Wife endorsed me on the purchase for the reason if I fall & damage me , Were both done for .
I use this also to go up 65' and as I go up I remove the limbs for the chipper or , if there larger than 3" branches , there cut @18" for the wood stove & then I can tie a 2" double braided line to the mast & use the tractor or excavator to make sure the 250'-300' tree go's the correct way , then onto the mill for toothpicks and larger .

VT
Canadian Solar 350W 37.6 VOC  30.6 VMP 8.22 ISC 7.87 IMP ,-15 c +30c max  4 strings in 2 in Series for 24v Classic 150 -1020 Ah  Freezers & fridges ~~~ Second Array same panels of 3sx3 parallel for 24 V Classic 150 -440 Ah Outback Barns & out blds.
48Vdc almost done,11Strings up of 3s11P same panels

Westbranch

I like your wife already ;D....Have to get her to talk to mine 8)...  Oh the tools I need!

That looks like a standing seam roof(?).... Are those the S-5 clamps?
can you explain your process of mounting the panels as I see they have a bolt/pin (?) attached to keep it from slipping off the lift wires, and that one has been wired in, or is that boogie board upside down?
Any snow down there yet? Had to blade off  the road 2 weeks ago and then it dropped ~ 10 inches but it has melted in, just enough to cause trouble the next trip if we get anymore...  dang cluody days, will have to boost them next visit if not >90%
ej