Author Topic: Designing a Diversion Water Heater Load For AUX 1 using an SSR - AC or DC?  (Read 7311 times)

ClassicCrazy

Re: Designing a Diversion Water Heater Load For AUX 1 using an SSR - AC or DC?
« Reply #90 on: October 12, 2018, 10:51:44 AM »
Tim,
I think you may find Will's project on diversion project interesting - he has done it a different way using an Arduino and has it all well documented.
http://midniteftp.com/forum/index.php?topic=2511.0
I think another approach to what Will has done would be to use a Raspberry Pi and Node Red which I have just started trying to learn.
Using a micro computer instead of the built in Midnite Aux gives a lot more control capabilities and monitoring too.
Larry
system one
Classic 150 , 5s4p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system two
Classic 150 ,5s 135 watt Kyocero , 16s Calb 100AH LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system three
Midnite KID MPPT 24 DC in to  12 volt AGM batterie

WillEert

Re: Designing a Diversion Water Heater Load For AUX 1 using an SSR - AC or DC?
« Reply #91 on: October 12, 2018, 10:22:58 PM »
I had problems using the AUX 2 PWM that I could not resolve. That is not to say they can't be resolved - just that I couldn't.
1) PWM settings: Under varying conditions the PWM did not turn on when it should have. If one adjusted the  offset to always have it turn on then it would not turn off.
2) I was using AC diversion from my inverters. The Classic PWM is very fast and it made my lights flicker like crazy. Also the inverters did not sound happy. I understand now there is a function that permits this PWM frequency to be slowed somewhere in the wind side of the Classic.
3) I really wanted the WBJr which I could not use with the PWM on AUX 2.

So I went to a diversion system using waste not Hi on AUX 1. This system did not work that well for me , particularly on sun / cloud days.

So I went to my own PWM diversion control which I run at 15HZ. Also I dedicate an inverter to diversion and charging. The advantage of this is that you can use a small generator when charging while your house load inverters carry the electrical loads. This system is working very well for me. It is not hard to build and get running the early Arduino UNO version. This system works very well in all conditions.
 I wish the Classic was a bit more aggressive with it's algorithm that increases load. I have two Classics each one connected to very similar arrays. I can see that sometimes one array makes quite a bit more power than the other one. Sometimes I turn my stove on to add load for a few moments and to force the Classic to produce more. This works but I cannot figure how to do this automatically. I do consider that the Classic is the best CC on the market and that Midnites support and method of doing business is also the best.
Sometimes I wonder if the new inverter charger will have a diversion system built into it.

Will
(1) 24 ET 185 mono, Classic 150,8x Surrette 6CS25p, 3x Magnum 4448, homecooked diversion system;
(2) 15 Heliene 330 mono, Classic 150; (3) 2 X 6 Hansol 345 mono, 2 stand alone Hotspot ACDC12C Mini-split heat pumps.