Read me first please.

Started by Halfcrazy, November 27, 2011, 06:31:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halfcrazy

This thread will be a running set of Charge controller and Clipper FAQ'S. Please feel free to ask a question here if needed and I will make it a new FAQ. Please try to keep the responses to a minimum to help eliminate confusion but feel free to start a new thread in the appropriate category.
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

dennis roshay

Jacobs wind machine
Hi : I'm currently flying a 32vdc, 2500 watt Jacobs wind machine from the 50's. My system is 24vdc, so that is what the generator 'sees' and charges the batteries accordingly. I have no controller on it and have it wired to always put out its maximum power (at 24 volts). I regulate the batteries with a diversion load controller that works with a 24vdc water heating element. My question: since I lose a lot of power running to 24vdc (1500-1800 watts vs 2500 watts if I were on a 32 volt battery), would one of your mppt (or other) controllers allow me to gain more power from the Jacobs? MPPT seems to work for higher voltage than needed solar panels, and wondering if it would work in my situation? Thanks for any info...my distributor locally is Az. Wind and Sun...thanks for any help....dennis roshay (newbie)

boB

Quote from: dennis roshay on December 20, 2012, 07:05:46 PM
Jacobs wind machine
My question: since I lose a lot of power running to 24vdc (1500-1800 watts vs 2500 watts if I were on a 32 volt battery), would one of your mppt (or other) controllers allow me to gain more power from the Jacobs? MPPT seems to work for higher voltage than needed solar panels, and wondering if it would work in my situation?

Hi Dennis !

Well, stated like that, yes, it should help to run it MPPT mode.  Might even do better than that 2500 watts.
I guess the problem is that one Classic, even a 150 Classic will barely put out 2500 watts into a 24V
battery before it runs into current limit.  You could use 2 (two) Classics in parallel (each Classic
with its own 3-phase rectifier).  (I forget, is a Jacobs 3 phase ?)

Now, as for a Clipper, I don't know what happens to a Jacobs when you unload it.  Doesn't your Jacobs
have variable pitch blades ?  What happens if you unload it in a typical high wind that you might have ?

I know some people that would probably know the answer to this if you don't know.

Maybe it controls itself before putting out say, 150 volts ?

Otherwise you would need a Clipper.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Halfcrazy

I believe the Jacobs is a true DC turbine meaning if you supply it DC it will Motor. If so you will need the blocking diode between it and the classic like there should be now between it and the battery. I also believe most Jacobs had brakes to protect from over speed run by fly weights. It may just work ok on a 150 and the 24 volt battery as long as nothing bad happens when the current limit is reached. (To the turbine)
Ryan
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

dennis roshay

Thanks for the response. Jacobs have no brakes, you simply turn the tail out of the wind to stop it, exactly like a water pumping aermotor. In high winds, the blades furl to let the wind slip by, usually at wind speeds of 30mph and above. It can get noisy. Not sure what would happen if it unloaded in a big wind and I wasn't here to shut it down. I guess you're asking since its a possibility with the controllers?( Anything can fail, I know) Its an all dc machine, and yes, it will motor, which is one way to check that its wired correctly. I used to control it with its old controller, which put resistance in the field circuit to limit the charging. Years ago I sorta 'hot wired' it so the field always sees maximum voltage. Since I'm totally new to this site and your controllers, I will try and learn as much as I can from the blogs to learn how they work so I don't waste your time with silly questions. Seems like they are mostly controlling AC machines that then rectify? My wife says I should just spend the money on more solar panels and stay on the ground! Ha! Hard to sit around and 'watch' solar panels do their thing...thanks again for your time...dennis