Clock / Time and Date Resetting

Started by Matrix, November 09, 2017, 11:38:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matrix

Every since the Time change here last Sunday morning,  the Classic keeps changing the Date and time.  I set it from the local app (have sync off) and a few minutes later it goes back to whatever, with a day of like 09/12/2012.  I have also set if for the control panel on the classic.

Why is Date and Time doing this now?  I have not had a problem for almost 3 weeks until this past Sunday.
Grid-Assist Off-Grid
REC TwinPeak 2 285W 3S-3P 2565w-STC 1926w-NMOT Array / Classic 150 / Conext SW 4024 Inverter
Trojan L16H-AC 435Ah bank 4S  with 7' of 4/0 cable
24 volt system /  Need 3200Whs Daily
My System Install

ClassicCrazy

I am trying to remember if the Classics come with some plastic in the MNGP battery that you need to remove. That battery is what holds the time if you remove power from ( unplug ) the MNGP .
So you should check that -- you pull black plastic cover off MNGP - also make sure your speaker is pluged in there .
Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

Matrix

Yeah it did have plastic ... but I removed it.  But so far today it is holding time for the past 20 hrs. 

But I have 4 days that are now messed up date wise ... and so they are sending the wrong info to PV Output.   Is there anyway to Edit the log file in the classic? 
Grid-Assist Off-Grid
REC TwinPeak 2 285W 3S-3P 2565w-STC 1926w-NMOT Array / Classic 150 / Conext SW 4024 Inverter
My System Install

ClassicCrazy

Quote from: Matrix on November 10, 2017, 01:59:54 PM
Yeah it did have plastic ... but I removed it.  But so far today it is holding time for the past 20 hrs. 

But I have 4 days that are now messed up date wise ... and so they are sending the wrong info to PV Output.   Is there anyway to Edit the log file in the classic?

Delete the logs and start out fresh is probably the best approach .

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

CDN-VT

Quote from: ClassicCrazy on November 10, 2017, 01:24:56 PM
I am trying to remember if the Classics come with some plastic in the MNGP battery that you need to remove. That battery is what holds the time if you remove power from ( unplug ) the MNGP .
So you should check that -- you pull black plastic cover off MNGP - also make sure your speaker is pluged in there .
Larry

Good post , Or the small battery cell might of died ?
Canadian Solar 350W 37.6 VOC  30.6 VMP 8.22 ISC 7.87 IMP ,-15 c +30c max  4 strings in 2 in Series for 24v Classic 150 -1020 Ah  Freezers & fridges ~~~ Second Array same panels of 3sx3 parallel for 24 V Classic 150 -440 Ah Outback Barns & out blds.
48Vdc almost done,11Strings up of 3s11P same panels

Matrix

I know this is an older thread I started late last  year,  but this issue still is not resolved. 

Every time I power down the Classic 150,  (that is turn off the array and then turn off the power from the battery bank),  the Time and Date reset to 2012 or something about then.  All other settings get retained,  but time and date are always off to the same past date.  And it has happened every time this year too.  I have several different days of power down for system wire changes, and it happens every time.   I replaced the battery inside the CC about 6 weeks ago.  Still no improvement. 

Any ideas,  or is this just the nature of the 150? 
Grid-Assist Off-Grid
My System Install

Resthome

Quote from: Matrix on March 26, 2018, 08:06:47 PM
I know this is an older thread I started late last  year,  but this issue still is not resolved. 

Every time I power down the Classic 150,  (that is turn off the array and then turn off the power from the battery bank),  the Time and Date reset to 2012 or something about then.  All other settings get retained,  but time and date are always off to the same past date.  And it has happened every time this year too.  I have several different days of power down for system wire changes, and it happens every time.   I replaced the battery inside the CC about 6 weeks ago.  Still no improvement. 

I believe that the clock set in the Local App was put there to assist people with Lites. Since Lites do not have the MNGP and the battery that retains the RTC clock when power is lost. There is another clock in the Classic but it does not have battery backup and the MNGP sync with that clock every so often. You have to have Time Sync ON. Try it nothing to lose if I'm wrong about all this boB can set me straight or anyone with a better understanding than me.
John

10 x Kyocera KC140, Classic 150 w/WBJr, Link10 Battery Monitor, 850 AH @ 12v Solar One 2v cells, Xantrex PROwatt SW2000
Off Grid on Houseboat Lake Don Pedro, CA

ClassicCrazy

Did you check the voltage of the small coin cell  battery in the MNGP ?  Or change that battery ?  It might be bad.

Larry
system 1
system 2
system 3
KID / Brat portable

boB

Each time the Classic is rebooted, it must be resetting to its original time and date then

If the Time Sync is disabled from the MNGP, then the Classic won't get the time/date from the MNGP every minute or so.

There is a crystal and Real Time Clock/Calendar in the Classic itself but if the power is removed, then it will reset to
that 2012 default when the processor reboots.  Then, it will either stay that way until told differently by the
Local App or the MNGP if that Time-Sync is enabled.

You can read the time and date in the Classic itself from the MNGP's TIME menu.  In that menu, hold down
the LEFT ARROW key while you tap the UPPER RIGHT soft key and it should read the time/date from the Classic itself.

In the MNGP TIME menu, if time-sync is turned ON, pressing the ENTER button in the TIME menu will send that time/date
to the Classic right away.  Otherwise, when ON, the MNGP will set the time/date from its battery backed-up clock
around once per minute.

I thought that the un-set date-year in the Classic itself was year 2003 (different that the unset MNGP year, 2000)
but I just checked my office Classic and it came up as 2012 and then 2010 when I unpowered and repowered it
right after.  This Classic has been running on a power supply for several weeks now but I don't remember if I
ever set the time/date on it.  I think that the battery piece of insulator paper was still in the MNGP keeping the
battery out of circuit.

You could theoretically change the LOGS time-stamp but if you don't know what time or date that was exactly,
then it would be pretty hard to do.  But since you know the logging interval, once you know one of the times,
the others could be inferred to that.  OR, you could change that in the CSV file I suppose.

It may be that you just have to have something to set the Classic's time and date every so often to keep it
accurate.

Hopefully I haven't mis-interpretted your issue too much.
boB

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

boB

Quote from: Resthome on March 26, 2018, 08:24:57 PM

I believe that the clock set in the Local App was put there to assist people with Lites. Since Lites do not have the MNGP and the battery that retains the RTC clock when power is lost. There is another clock in the Classic but it does not have battery backup and the MNGP sync with that clock every so often. You have to have Time Sync ON. Try it nothing to lose if I'm wrong about all this boB can set me straight or anyone with a better understanding than me.

Absolutely correct RH !
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Matrix

Quote from: ClassicCrazy on March 26, 2018, 08:30:25 PM

Did you check the voltage of the small coin cell  battery in the MNGP ?  Or change that battery ?  It might be bad.

Larry
Changed it to a fresh new one
Grid-Assist Off-Grid
My System Install

Matrix

Quote from: boB on March 26, 2018, 08:35:48 PM
Quote from: Resthome on March 26, 2018, 08:24:57 PM

Absolutely correct RH !
So I would do better to use sync rather than the Blue left arrow in the local app?    Usually I just reset all the date and time,  and they press the blue arrow.   I do not use sync in the local app? 

And what is this saying (from the local app)

QuoteDisclaimer: To use this setting you must have a Classic Lite or Time Sync OFF on a standard Classic

Is there another place in the local app to turn time sync off and on?  I have a standard classic.
Grid-Assist Off-Grid
My System Install

Resthome

Turn Time Sync on in the Tweaks Menu 4 on the Classic itself.

I have know idea what Andrew was trying to do with the sync turned off.  And I don't know what his SYNC button does unless it tries to sync the two RTCs but why turn off Time Sync?  If it is off as boB said when you power off the Classic it will not get the time from the MNGP that has the battery back up.

I'm pretty sure if you set Time Sync ON on the Classic itself you wont have any more issue with the time resetting back to default.

There was a issue with the little metal prongs than contact the battery having some kind of glue from the paper that was put in at the factory to save the battery. But doubt that is you problem.
John

10 x Kyocera KC140, Classic 150 w/WBJr, Link10 Battery Monitor, 850 AH @ 12v Solar One 2v cells, Xantrex PROwatt SW2000
Off Grid on Houseboat Lake Don Pedro, CA

boB

How often does the Classic go off and on ?   And does it do this by way of auto-reset or  is the battery power being disconnected and re-connected ?

I think that if the Classic just gets reset and the power doesn't actually cycle that the Classic's time and date should stay as it was through the reset.

The issue with the Local App setting the time is that you have to manually tell the Local App to set the time.  I don't think it will do it automatically.

Yes, the MNGP is where you turn on and off the time sync because it is what typically tells the Classic what time and date it is.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Matrix

Thanks,   classic goes on and off about every 10 days or so.  Depending on what I am setting up and rewiring.  Next possible rewire thing might be an auto transformer.

But i will try turning on sync on the MNGP.  thanks.
Grid-Assist Off-Grid
My System Install