Classic 250 firmware and fan issues

Started by garryf, November 22, 2017, 05:25:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garryf

Hi--New to the forum..great service.

I updated to the latest firmware on my 3 classic 250's yesterday. 2 of them are about 5 years old now and when time came to do the factory reset the software method did not work--only the hardware reset worked. (thankfully) On my 3rd classic the software reset worked because, I assume, it is only a year or so old? Guess the firmware does not update everything.

Why in resting mode do the turbo fans on all 3 keep running constantly? Is there a way to shut them off at night or in resting mode? I think the lower 2 fans are also running...not sure though. Is there a mode where the classics can be set to essentially shut off until daylight approaches?

Also I replaced the turbo fans on my 2 older classics as one was very noisey and noticed that the lower fan under the fets on both of them had seized up. So replaced them also but I had no idea these had failed. I was hoping the latest firmware would help on controlling the fans i.e. off during resting at least and some sort of notification when they fail...this may be in the app but I don't use the app as system is out of wireless range.

Any ideas/suggestions?

thx Garry.

ClassicCrazy

Seems like I remember one of the later firmware updates had some kind of mod for the fans . But it would only work on newer Classics because the older ones didn't have a fan speed control . I think I have that correct.

I thought that when the Classic first fires up it turns on all the fans to check them. Surprised you had one that was faulty but didn't show up on start up.

Did you just install the newest beta  voice firmware or the other one on the webpage ? I haven't been keeping up with if they officially released the voice firmware update yet . I will see if I can find change log for that .

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

ClassicCrazy

Read this thread on fans
http://midniteftp.com/forum/index.php?topic=3798.0

Also found this in change log
11-9-2016  rev. 2117  (reads as 11-10-2016)
      Classic 2117 reduces fan  noise some

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

garryf

Hi and thx for responding. I took a closer look at the 3 classics I have. It is pitch black out now and on the 2 older classics, they are now in resting mode all fans are running. On the newer 1 year old classic, it also is in resting mode and all fans are off. So it is an issue with the old classics. I installed the firmware on the webpage...don't know about the Beta or where to find it but it seems like the fans in the older classics never did turn off as I said earlier the fans under the fet bus in each classic were seized. Do you know if something can be done? It seems like turn them off in resting mode and on when in normal mode would work fine....Wonder if anyone else has noticed this?

I may have previously saved the classics as I have a large fan in the building that turns on and blows on the classics when the building temp gets around 85 F.

Do the engineers monitor this forum?

garry

ClassicCrazy

Here is the info on the beta voice firmware - it has been working fine for me.
You don't need to load all the voice stuff if you don't want to . Just follow the directions exactly . The voice files take three hours to load but it can be done over the network instead of using usb cable like the regular firmware updates.

http://midniteftp.com/forum/index.php?topic=3746.0

Just to be sure - you did do both the firmware and the MNGP updates  ?
Does the MNGP screen show the same for all of them ?

I guess if it was me and that was happening with the fans I would do another VMM ( hold left and right arrows in on power up ) and see what happens . If that didn't work I would reload the firmware again.

You can use the Local Status App to save your settings and easily restore them after VMM  hard  reset .

Seems like a weird problem  - hadn't heard of it before.

Sometimes some of the Midnite people are on here but if you really want help right away go to the site and open a ticket for help. Of course they will be closed tomorrow but open again on Friday from an email I just read.

Also you can go to first main page of this forum and do a search for your problem - maybe something from past is on here to help.

Larry

system 1
system 2
system 3
KID / Brat portable

Resthome

Yeah, my fans don't run at night. In fact I've never had the turbo fan run.the fans under the FETs don't usually come on until the FETs are around 50C.  What is you abient temp ? Have you looked at the Temp status display?  What temp are being shown in the TEMP display?
John

10 x Kyocera KC140, Classic 150 w/WBJr, Link10 Battery Monitor, 850 AH @ 12v Solar One 2v cells, Xantrex PROwatt SW2000
Off Grid on Houseboat Lake Don Pedro, CA

garryf

Well I placed a support ticket to see if anything can be done at this point. I did do both firmwares 2126 and 2133 mngp and checked on the status page and all 3 classics say thats what's installed. We had a very hot day here but sun has been down for over 3 hrs now and all 3 classics in resting mode. Ambient temp about 70 F and fet and pcb temps less than 30 C. Newer classic fans are off and older classic fans are on  always---bizarre. Hopefully they have some ideas. I'll post the result.

thx

garry

ClassicCrazy

Quote from: garryf on November 23, 2017, 09:32:36 PM
Well I placed a support ticket to see if anything can be done at this point. I did do both firmwares 2126 and 2133 mngp and checked on the status page and all 3 classics say thats what's installed. We had a very hot day here but sun has been down for over 3 hrs now and all 3 classics in resting mode. Ambient temp about 70 F and fet and pcb temps less than 30 C. Newer classic fans are off and older classic fans are on  always---bizarre. Hopefully they have some ideas. I'll post the result.

thx

garry

Garry - I just reread your original post . You said you had replaced the fans on the ones that are staying on all the time. Same kind of fans ? Or did  you have Midnite do it under warranty ( 5 year warranty on stuff ) . Just wondering if it is something to do with replacement fans or wiring ?  Could be something that controls the fans has failed but weird it would be in both Classics.

Larry
system 1
system 2
system 3
KID / Brat portable

garryf

Hi Larry--All 3 Fans are from midnite--2 wire fans and they plug into 2 pin connections.

garry

ClassicCrazy

Let us know what you find out from Midnite when the problem gets solved.

Larry
system 1
system 2
system 3
KID / Brat portable

Resthome

Quote from: garryf on November 24, 2017, 01:54:38 PM
Hi Larry--All 3 Fans are from midnite--2 wire fans and they plug into 2 pin connections.

garry

Strange the regular fans and the turbo fans appear to be driven by different sources. The red lead is connected directly to a 12V source. The fan turns on when the black lead is driven to ground. Two different transistors control the regular and turbo fans. So you would not think that they both would fail.  I would have suspected one of the thermistors, but you said they are reading below 30C.  Assume you have the old Classic that you have to remove all the boards to replace fans. No pinched wires? I believe a pinched black wire would cause the fans to run. In the newer Chassics they are removed from the back of the Classic case.
John

10 x Kyocera KC140, Classic 150 w/WBJr, Link10 Battery Monitor, 850 AH @ 12v Solar One 2v cells, Xantrex PROwatt SW2000
Off Grid on Houseboat Lake Don Pedro, CA

CDN-VT

Seeing that wiring description , Im "Guessing" that a wire (Black) was pinched !! on install .
that would make them run all the time.

VT

ALSO do a record on all the setup / charging info & do a hard SOFTWARE reboot (Nicked VMM)  so you see battery voltage & solar  ot hydro  etc.
Canadian Solar 350W 37.6 VOC  30.6 VMP 8.22 ISC 7.87 IMP ,-15 c +30c max  4 strings in 2 in Series for 24v Classic 150 -1020 Ah  Freezers & fridges ~~~ Second Array same panels of 3sx3 parallel for 24 V Classic 150 -440 Ah Outback Barns & out blds.
48Vdc almost done,11Strings up of 3s11P same panels