Classic 150 RCM Firmware update

Started by ffindog, November 25, 2017, 01:22:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ffindog

Hi all,

I have searched hi and low and can't work out for the life of me how to update the firmware on the RCM classic.

I've brought a USB - RS232 cable and made a lead to go from it to the RJ11 socket on the classic.

But I'm not sure where to go from there with the software?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Clinton.

Resthome

Quote from: ffindog on November 25, 2017, 01:22:18 AM
Hi all,

I have searched hi and low and can't work out for the life of me how to update the firmware on the RCM classic.

I've brought a USB - RS232 cable and made a lead to go from it to the RJ11 socket on the classic.

But I'm not sure where to go from there with the software?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Clinton.

The 150 RCM model does not have USB communication so not sure if there is a way to update the firmware. THe RJ11 Jacks are serial ports.  I'd contact Midnite to see if you can get an answer and post back here what you find out.  Unless boB is around to answer you question.
John

10 x Kyocera KC140, Classic 150 w/WBJr, Link10 Battery Monitor, 850 AH @ 12v Solar One 2v cells, Xantrex PROwatt SW2000
Off Grid on Houseboat Lake Don Pedro, CA

ffindog

Thanks for the info.

With my very limited understanding of the classic I assumed the USB bus and the Rj11 Master socket became the same serial port, if so the firmware should be updatable.

I did find This post on updating the firmware on the RCM http://midniteftp.com/forum/index.php?topic=3767.msg36520#msg36520 I'm guessing it refers to an old version of the firmware updating software. As the version i downloaded from Midnite's site is nothing like the details in that post or in videos i found on U-tube.

I'll try and contact Midnite this week and see what i can find out.

Resthome

Quote from: ffindog on November 27, 2017, 08:20:04 AM
Thanks for the info.

With my very limited understanding of the classic I assumed the USB bus and the Rj11 Master socket became the same serial port, if so the firmware should be updatable.

I did find This post on updating the firmware on the RCM http://midniteftp.com/forum/index.php?topic=3767.msg36520#msg36520 I'm guessing it refers to an old version of the firmware updating software. As the version i downloaded from Midnite's site is nothing like the details in that post or in videos i found on U-tube.

I'll try and contact Midnite this week and see what i can find out.

Looks like boB said you can do it with the RS232 jack. The problem is if the adapter you use comes up with anything other than COM8 you would have to modify the command line. Second those command line files are no longer used with the newer firmware updates they had to create a new update program for Win10 and that has the USB driver built into the code. So yes your best option is to reach out to MidNite as with all the new products they are trying to get to market their support is limited here at best.
John

10 x Kyocera KC140, Classic 150 w/WBJr, Link10 Battery Monitor, 850 AH @ 12v Solar One 2v cells, Xantrex PROwatt SW2000
Off Grid on Houseboat Lake Don Pedro, CA