AGS and generators that work with it.

Started by jbeecher, December 06, 2017, 05:40:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbeecher

Hey everyone new here searched for this topic didnt find my solution so thought I would start a new thread. I am having the hardest time finding a portable generator that has a 2 wire electronic start with kill switch. Any recommendations on what portable generator will work with the kid I only need 25 30 amps.

CDN-VT

The KID will control an AGS ! But the AGS is a separate unit that can be tailored for different engines (Benzine / Diesel /CNG /LPG ) All have a different starting & shut down sequence .
The kids AUX wires to start a genset without a AGS won't work .

If I missing what your asking , ?
VT
Canadian Solar 350W 37.6 VOC  30.6 VMP 8.22 ISC 7.87 IMP ,-15 c +30c max  4 strings in 2 in Series for 24v Classic 150 -1020 Ah  Freezers & fridges ~~~ Second Array same panels of 3sx3 parallel for 24 V Classic 150 -440 Ah Outback Barns & out blds.
48Vdc almost done,11Strings up of 3s11P same panels

jbeecher

According to Midnight they say as long as it has a 2 wire start and stop switch it can be wired in With an open close relay . If that is the case that I need a seperate module what kind do I get that will easily wire in. And what generator would work well for that configuration I am looking to use an lp generator I already have a Champion duel fuel generator model 76533 but midnight said I could not use it because the switch was too complex it has 5 wires protruding from the starter switch that has an on off start function. The off is an off just for the electric start feature and does not kill the motor. The manufacturer made it where you have tp switch off fuel to cut the engine.

ClassicCrazy

Quote from: jbeecher on December 06, 2017, 09:18:16 PM
According to Midnight they say as long as it has a 2 wire start and stop switch it can be wired in With an open close relay . If that is the case that I need a seperate module what kind do I get that will easily wire in. And what generator would work well for that configuration I am looking to use an lp generator I already have a Champion duel fuel generator model 76533 but midnight said I could not use it because the switch was too complex it has 5 wires protruding from the starter switch that has an on off start function. The off is an off just for the electric start feature and does not kill the motor. The manufacturer made it where you have tp switch off fuel to cut the engine.

I suppose you could try putting in a solenoid on the fuel line if you can figure out the wiring for it . 
Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

CDN-VT

I suppose you could try putting in a solenoid on the fuel line if you can figure out the wiring for it . 
Larry
[/quote]
Yea & cause a fire with a starter that won't stop cranking !
Glow plugs , don't get heated , the list just go's on&ON . B4 posting
THINK IT THRU ! B4 posting help that some might take to heart.
VT

an AGS is a Automatic Generator Start  (SYSTEM) Now for real A kid uses DC , So now you need a trimming Gen not to fool with the KID & Voltage .
Real Inverters can Sync in ACV or if your a real DC generator , then a battery monitor that can work with a AGS might work .

Your in a manual system as I see it jbeecher

VT
Canadian Solar 350W 37.6 VOC  30.6 VMP 8.22 ISC 7.87 IMP ,-15 c +30c max  4 strings in 2 in Series for 24v Classic 150 -1020 Ah  Freezers & fridges ~~~ Second Array same panels of 3sx3 parallel for 24 V Classic 150 -440 Ah Outback Barns & out blds.

jbeecher

Yeah wasn’t planning on following Larrys advice. So I looked up a trimming gen and found no results on google so confused by that. I dont see why this has to be so complicated. The kid has a feature built in now I dont know about older models but the new on can detect your batteries voltage you can set your generator to start at a certain voltage and run a minimum or maximum amout of time. And then when a certain voltage is reached it will close or open the circuit of the relay you attach to the 2 wire start. This application does not have to work with my current generator just want to know like midnight claims it does on page 41 of the.manual. Has anyone done this successfully with a generator? Or does this whole thing thay midnight claims thier charge controller can do is false. 

ClassicCrazy

ha ha - it was just an idea if a guy wanted to hack it to work - of course you would need appropriate safeties ( like if solenoid is closed then don't try to start !)   

Here is a device gen start box
http://www.atkinsonelectronics.com/manufacturing/product_pdfs/gscm-mini-i.pdf

Larry

system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

CDN-VT

Quote from: jbeecher on December 07, 2017, 09:42:36 AM
Yeah wasn’t planning on following Larrys advice. So I looked up a trimming gen and found no results on google 

Good on that !
Trimming Gen is a DC generator that has a voltage /currant regulator  on it.
Large semis 18 wheeler type had them years ago .
http://www.prestolite.com/pgs_products/alt_search.php

As Larry posted , that AGS Module is wired as shown there with an outback , same as the KID will do.
It is much more than the KID closing a switch , some Honda units & Yamaha i do believe have a 2 wire built in system (ags is built into there electronics)

VT

jbeecher

I did look into Honda and called them and they told me that none nof their generators are capable of ags but that does not mean someone didnt do it with an after market ags module I did some research and found that magnum has a stand alone that will work with Honda. Only problem is the price point for a Honda 3000is is pretty high you mentioned Yamaha fo you know of a portable uniy yhat will work having a hard time finding one.

ClassicCrazy

system 1
system 2
system 3
KID / Brat portable

CDN-VT

Roy did a Nice Job & it was pretty cool

VT

CDN-VT

CDN-VT

I reread the manual on that RD-1 Relay Driver
I have a few Morningstar SS300 & a few charge controls , with the meter bus adapter .
I found the menu system hard to work with & reading the RD-1 it falls in the same area for me.
I have learn't Midnite / Outback & now  Schneider systems .

I see what you mean about the RD-1 , but if the genset hasn't got a remote function built in , then Im thinking Diesel first (cuz Auto chokes only on fuel injected Gas) adding one is $$

Right now Im on a genset since 04:30 this morning ..
It couldn't wait till  over Westbranch to drop the white stuff !! Trees down & 8" so far.

VT