AGS and generators that work with it.

Started by jbeecher, December 06, 2017, 05:40:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shade

Quote from: CDN-VT on December 19, 2017, 07:11:59 PM
I reread the manual on that RD-1 Relay Driver
I have a few Morningstar SS300 & a few charge controls , with the meter bus adapter .
I found the menu system hard to work with & reading the RD-1 it falls in the same area for me.
I have learn't Midnite / Outback & now  Schneider systems .

I see what you mean about the RD-1 , but if the genset hasn't got a remote function built in , then Im thinking Diesel first (cuz Auto chokes only on fuel injected Gas) adding one is $$

Right now Im on a genset since 04:30 this morning ..
It couldn't wait till  over Westbranch to drop the white stuff !! Trees down & 8" so far.

VT

im thinking propane as he has a Champion duel fuel. some gens using propane no choke is needed. still collecting my solar parts but have it worked out what i want an duel fuel gen is one.

CDN-VT

Well my Propane ones do have chokes .
One has it's own AGS system Genorac

http://www.generac.com/all-products/generators/home-backup-generators/guardian-series/22kw-7043-whole-house-switch

They have a choking  system under the air filter .
As for my Yamaha
https://pumpbiz.com/ef3000iseb-inverter-generator-3kw-ef30isebj-power-boost-3000w

It was before the AGS system they had , so I pull a choke & it starts .

That system with the AGS has internal auto choke & temp sensing .

VT
Canadian Solar 350W 37.6 VOC  30.6 VMP 8.22 ISC 7.87 IMP ,-15 c +30c max  4 strings in 2 in Series for 24v Classic 150 -1020 Ah  Freezers & fridges ~~~ Second Array same panels of 3sx3 parallel for 24 V Classic 150 -440 Ah Outback Barns & out blds.
48Vdc almost done,11Strings up of 3s11P same panels

RossW

Quote from: ClassicCrazy on December 07, 2017, 12:25:36 PM
Roy built his own

Ross did too. It was only ever meant to be a "short-term" thing. Genset was supposed to be replaced with a fuelcell inside 5 years, but... well history tells what happened to that technology.

http://house.albury.net.au/genset.htm
My controller, built almost 13 years ago now, is still running quite happily. Takes a 2-wire control from my inverter (pretty much anything will do it). It also sends back a "Generator available" line to the inverter so it knows when it's unavailable due to (for example) being serviced.

Based on an AT-MEGA (was readily available in the day). Does all the sequencing, fuel control, cranking control, monitoring engine RPM, output frequency, oil pressure, water temperature in 3 places (in, head, out), controls the water circulating pump, etc. Also conveniently keeps track of accumulated hours, number of starts etc.

There are controllers on ebay etc for $peanuts that do most of this stuff too now. (They weren't back then)
3600W on 6 tracking arrays.
7200W on 2 fixed array.
Midnite Classic 150
Outback Flexmax FM80
16 x LiFePO4 600AH cells
16 x LiFePO4 300AH cells
Selectronics SP-PRO 481 5kW inverter
Fronius 6kW AC coupled inverter
Home-brew 4-cyl propane powered 14kVa genset
2kW wind turbine

CDN-VT

@RossW

Got any line from the E-bay sellers
It would be good for the thread

VT
Canadian Solar 350W 37.6 VOC  30.6 VMP 8.22 ISC 7.87 IMP ,-15 c +30c max  4 strings in 2 in Series for 24v Classic 150 -1020 Ah  Freezers & fridges ~~~ Second Array same panels of 3sx3 parallel for 24 V Classic 150 -440 Ah Outback Barns & out blds.

KevinSalyer

My experience is that people want (a) easy and (b) cheap.so I'll focus on portable units.
Where are you going to (1) store your generator (2) set up the generator to use it? Remember, it may be severe weather so, where could you put it to keep it safe and be able to refuel it easily? If you're using power cords, will they be dry and as far out of the way as possible?
Small generators (less than 5500 watts) or portable trailer type generator can only do so much. If you overload the unit and damage it, you won't have any power at all. So be smart! Portable units are made up to almost 20k watts but they're not for people on budgets.
The bottom line is to add up the load (watts) you plan to connect and size your generator at least 25% higher. When motors like the compressor in the refrigerator start up there is a sudden draw of power higher than the normal running load and you want to compensate for that.
Small appliances will have the wattage marked on them. Lighting circuits will be less than 1200 watts each. Water heater is 4500 watts alone.
Also,you'll truly get what you pay for...unless you buy from one of those guys selling from the back of their pick-up truck (don't do that). Don't wait till the last minute or you'll be stuck with whatever is left in the stores.
Oh, and the "trick" with connecting the generator to the dryer outlet to backfeed the house? DON'T YOU DARE!! It will result in damage and/or injury...

Rwbain

Im currently using the AGS feature of one of my Kid controllers. I wired in a cheap, Chinese dual fuel generator- any gen will work with this controller. I used a Datakom gen controller ($100) in conjunction with the AGS featureI also made an automatic transfer switch for less than 20 bucks. If anyone is interested I can post pics and a diagram. I posted pics a year ago and it gained no interest.  I run propane only and it absolutely must be choked at cool to cold ambient temps to start. The datakom controller I use has a choke feature that can be programmed how long it is applied. I used a Cummins shutdown solinoid as a choke actuator.

Rwbain

I've been using this set up for over 3 years with 0 failures. I live completely off grid.

ClassicCrazy

Quote from: Rwbain on November 10, 2018, 09:16:47 PM
Im currently using the AGS feature of one of my Kid controllers. I wired in a cheap, Chinese dual fuel generator- any gen will work with this controller. I used a Datakom gen controller ($100) in conjunction with the AGS featureI also made an automatic transfer switch for less than 20 bucks. If anyone is interested I can post pics and a diagram. I posted pics a year ago and it gained no interest.  I run propane only and it absolutely must be choked at cool to cold ambient temps to start. The datakom controller I use has a choke feature that can be programmed how long it is applied. I used a Cummins shutdown solinoid as a choke actuator.

Sure I would be interested in seeing your AGS controller set up - thanks !

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

grgdgreek

Quote from: ClassicCrazy on November 11, 2018, 12:02:35 AM
Quote from: Rwbain on November 10, 2018, 09:16:47 PM

Sure I would be interested in seeing your AGS controller set up - thanks !

Larry

Me 2!
George
Home:6*135w mitsu.10*175w shuko. 2* cl150.3*D400 turbines.
Rolls18*4v series 5000 545ah*3 .2*Victron 3000 multiplus inv/chg. 24v. Shop:28*185w shuko. Sunny island. Sunnyboy.Rolls 40*s530.48volt.Sunny web box.

Rwbain

I have to hike to a better area for service today , but the pics I posted are still on here. I can post more of the "build" or details of the wiring if anyone would like. If you look under the Owner Installed section (or whatever it's calked) I still have pics up. Under Rwbain or Sagle, I'd I believe. 

Vic

For some reason,   previous Posts from Rwbain,   in other Threads do not appear when uses the "Show Posts" button under that username.

Link to the previous Thread,   FWIW:
http://midniteftp.com/forum/index.php?topic=3708.0

Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

Rwbain

I can view the pics from my old account under the owners pictures section..? I'm getting ready for a snow so i won't be able to do much in the next couple days!

Rwbain

Sagle, Id. under Owner Installed Systems..sorry I lose Internet every 10 seconds. .

CDN-VT

Rwbain

Thank you very much! Larry and George I will put up more detailed pics of the actual wiring and diagrams if you'd like. Datakom makes some really neat, affordable components.  This does way more than the Magnum generator controller and costs less than half the price.