Installing an MNGP on an existing 2 Classic Lite system... 1st no problem... but

Started by Photowhit, December 10, 2017, 06:15:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Photowhit

Okay, history... I've had 2 Classic Lites setup for 4+ years now... I had used a computer to update the firmware via network cable...PITA and I think I ended up getting both updated (4 years ago) and changed the address so I could put them in FollowMe mode. I noticed my setting had been forgotten over the summer. Absorb minimum time wasn't being observed and it was running some very short absorb cycles. With the trouble I had with the computer interface, I thought I'd make life easier and buy a graphic panel.

Yesterday, it showed up! I went out and used the new "Classic Programmer" works so much easier and 1st time, no issues easy-peasy!

I had disconnected the FollowMe cables, and programmed in the first Classic lite new settings. I went to the 2nd Classic Lite and moved the MNGP over and the MNGP can't discover anything. I assume this is because the 2nd classic has a different address that wasn't changed back during the firmware update?

So I read somewhere about addressing the 2nd controller from the first while they are in FollowMe, I can't find that information any more. I think I'm suppose to push the outer 2 buttons until the MNGP hunts/finds the 2nd charge controller?

If someone could direct me to this information I would be most grateful!
Home system 20 - 200watt Evergreen, E-Panel, 2-Classic Lite 150s up and running and 14 Suntech 185watt panels, and another Classic Lite in a dark room. Cabin system 8-115watt 12V, 6 - 170-5watt 24v, Pulse/Trace PC250 Power Center, 800AH 24V forklift Batt, ProSine 1800 watt (24v) inverter.

ClassicCrazy

I would think that if you did a hard reset on the Classic it would go back to factory defaults and that would solve the problem .

Hmm - now I am thinking that maybe when you updated the first Classic ,  you also updated the MNGP right ? So maybe the second classic has firmware that is not compatible with the updated MNGP ?  Or did you already update both Classics with new firmware ?  What version firmware ?
Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

Photowhit

Rev 2126the current one from Midnite, under software.
I did update both Classic lites. I did NOT update the MNGP. It was new from NAWS, figured it would be latest or nearly latest. I think last rev is from January? (from my faulty mind) I didn't do a 'hard reset' just updated the firmware.
Home system 20 - 200watt Evergreen, E-Panel, 2-Classic Lite 150s up and running and 14 Suntech 185watt panels, and another Classic Lite in a dark room. Cabin system 8-115watt 12V, 6 - 170-5watt 24v, Pulse/Trace PC250 Power Center, 800AH 24V forklift Batt, ProSine 1800 watt (24v) inverter.

Photowhit

FWIW- I purchased these together, I think they are consecutive. Recall boB wanting me to return one of them (I think this one) last time when I was having issues. I 'can't recall the exact problem. Something like, I couldn't get address it, but the 'FollowMe' was working between the wiring and the other being correctly setup.

Not sure how to do a 'hard reset', but I can look it up.

Photowhit

Looks like it might be a 'nonstarter' if there isn't communication between the display and Classic. The display does come on, I didn't grab a photo of it, recall it had minimal info and said something like 'COM?' in the lower right hand corner.

It appears a "factory reset" which I'm assuming is what a Hard reset is referring to, requires the MNGP;

From the manual;

*Note this only works on the Classics with Displays not a Classic Lite with the MNLP (LED Panel)
*Warning this will erase ALL settings.
*Turn the PV breaker and Battery breaker off (What you don’t have a breaker? Get one asap) and make sure the display has gone dark
*Hold the left and right arrow and turn on JUST the battery breaker, Continue to hold the arrow buttons until you see the Quick Start pop up

ClassicCrazy

You need to update the MNGP at the same time as the firmware . You will see the MNGP update  in the update software and you really should do that .
There  are two ways to do a reset - one is by holding down the left and right arrows on MNGP while powering up the Classic. Though I wouldn't do that until you update the MNGP. The other way to do a reset is with jumpers and the procedure for doing that is on the page where you downloaded the firmware. 

You should do the reset on  both Classics after major update like this , especially to see if it will solve the follow me issue since I am sure I read in the revision logs that follow me was one of the things that had fixes for it .

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

Photowhit

No nothing about the jumper reset; they don't have a dropdown firmware any longer, just a 'software' takes you here;

http://www.midnitesolar.com/firmwareIndex.php

I'm guessing the jumper reset is the VMM? I've read about that somewhere. I'll try the MNGP first.

CDN-VT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4O_ZXfhmW4w

REset Above ^^^

I'll find the one on the jumper to reset the address back to 10 .
default = 10 (one zero) , and I address mine as 10 leads & ( is lessor & down to five ,in follow me )

VT

PS you MUST turn off all power for 30 seconds PV & Battery & with cover off I bleed out the caps by shorting poer PV & B1 to the ground for a second . The MNGP is also unplugged since it has a battery for its memory .

My older classics are a fiddle to get them updated , after that they were stable.

VT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4O_ZXfhmW4w

Last jumper as they all do various things , But it is normally  too quick or no blead down

VT
Canadian Solar 350W 37.6 VOC  30.6 VMP 8.22 ISC 7.87 IMP ,-15 c +30c max  4 strings in 2 in Series for 24v Classic 150 -1020 Ah  Freezers & fridges ~~~ Second Array same panels of 3sx3 parallel for 24 V Classic 150 -440 Ah Outback Barns & out blds.
48Vdc almost done,11Strings up of 3s11P same panels

Photowhit

Thank you, The firmware update was simple, this time around. It was a PITA previously. I'll take a look and give the jumper first try tomorrow. It was on the manual page just below the MNGP reset method/description.

Guess I'm just resting it to the 'home' address, just to change it again...lol.

CDN-VT

PW ,
I mark all internal classics with the Addy # & then to talk to them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMYH_Oa00BM

If you can change the MNGP into YOUR classic  follow me classic & the address YOU KNOW , then it works .

200 classics Ryan ?? Dang that sounds likr real work !!

Destruction's

The way to do the hardware version of the factory restore (VMM)is as follows. There are 4 sets of jumpers directly above the blue terminal block. For the purpose of this we will call the left most jumper JP1 and the right most JP4 (actually labeled ^Boot^)

Step 1- Turn the PV and Battery power off to the Classic and remove the front cover
    Step 2- Locate the 2 jumpers JP1 and BOOT (JP4). Take the actual jumpers and keep them in your hand
    Step 3- Turn the Battery power on to the classic
    Step 4- within 1 minute place jumper JP4 on its two pins and then place jumper JP1 on its two pins. at this point the 3 leds on the top of the circuit board should flash back and forth for about 60 seconds.
    Step 5- After the flashing stops power down the classic and remove JP1 and JP4 and stow them back on a single pin like they where.
    Step 6- Put the front cover on and power up the Classic Lite. If you have the MNLP set to Custom you will need to go to the local app and reset the battery voltage and setpoints etc.

HTH's
VT

Good 1 larry
Canadian Solar 350W 37.6 VOC  30.6 VMP 8.22 ISC 7.87 IMP ,-15 c +30c max  4 strings in 2 in Series for 24v Classic 150 -1020 Ah  Freezers & fridges ~~~ Second Array same panels of 3sx3 parallel for 24 V Classic 150 -440 Ah Outback Barns & out blds.
48Vdc almost done,11Strings up of 3s11P same panels

ClassicCrazy

All the instructions for doing resets both with arrow keys and also with the jumpers is on this page towards bottom.
It also says you must do reset after installing new firmware - ( install both firmware and MNGP)
http://www.midnitesolar.com/firmwareReport.php?firmware_ID=9&firmwareProduct_ID=1&act=edit

Larry
system 1
system 2
system 3
KID / Brat portable

Photowhit

Some success and some more frustration today. Managed to get a hard rest on both classic's then programed/new firmware on the classic and the MNGP, and everything worked on the first unit. Moved the panel to the second and after the hard rest, The reset to the MNGP failed! Since it should have the same software installed from the previous I went ahead and set things There and managed (I think) to switch the address to #12. Then I set it to be in follow me mode and moved back to the first unit, rewiring the follow me, and set it to be master (it has the temp sensor) I couldn't 'find' 12. Move the display back to the 2nd unit, and it wasn't temperature compensating for the cold weather... Tried again to switch to 12, note sure which I was 'seeing' since the default is 10. I turned off the array to 10(Master).

and back again, shutting down 10 completely them bringing it back up. I think they are in follow me, the switching display from one to the other is very slow to non-existant. I'll go back and in plug and plug back in the follow me wires. I only unplugged one side during the first connecting the MNGP. Forgot about the flashing blue light led and am going back out now to check and see what I might see.

Photowhit

I just got back from town and going to check out my current situation, forgot that I had buttoned up the Power center last night.

I forgot to ask if I should put the Lite panel back on the other charge controller. I did but left it disconnected last night.

Photowhit

They appear to be working somewhat today. I'll have to go in and check the settings, Likely I have something a tad different between the 2. I was able to see both CC from the one MNGP but it appears to default to "Got Comm" screen!

They don't appear to be sharing the load very well. Both have similar arrays, 10 - 200 watt 60 cell panels. I do have 2 250 watt 72 cell panels still plugged into one of them. That I did during a particularly cloudy period. They belong on their own Classic (I have 4 + as many as 9 185 watt 72 cell panels) The one with the extra panels carried 80% of the current load they were in Float, but I have 1000 watts running in the house.

I shut them down and 'wiggled the wires' for the follow me, I had first connected them 4 years ago. Thought it might help with a better connection. They are home made wires, but I actually had a 'checker' back when I made them and they were fine. After I restarted the CC's they seemed to be sharing the load in absorb fine (it passed through bulk very quick I didn't have time to check them)

The only situation is the display seems to still default to "Got Comm" is this common? If I use the left and go to the other CC at 12 (with the up arrow at the same time, I can see both of them after that . Then after a set amount of time it goes back to "Got Comm"

Sounded confusing, so I went out and took some shots, the water heater kicked off, so not much load now and they have already cycled through to float earlier.

So I get out there and I see the "Got Comm" screen. I push the left button and up arrow to get to 12 the address of the other controller and see this;

Then I can hit the status button (I think, don't think I had to navigate back to 10) and see the display for this CC;

Then after a few seconds it reverts back to this;

boB

Sounds like you sort of have it working ?

You found I think, that you have to plug the one MNGP into the individual Classics to change their addresses ?

Then, hold down the two arrows  < & >  until it says "Address changed to 12"  or whatever....   THEN you should
be able to change the address on the one MNGP to look at the others....

Oh...  There ~MAY~ be a slight issue when using Follow-Me and the one MNGP....  This has to do with
how the modbus traffic is echoed from one Classic to another.
In Follow-Me mode, each classic forwards the charge information one direction which is why you
need the last Classic to have that loop-back connection to the first.  Actually, there isn't a first and last
in this case...  It's just a round-robin.

The other way that Classics can "talk" using the MNGP is bidirectionally.....  i.e. say the Classic with
the MNGP attached is trying to talk to another MNGP down the line.  The Classic(s) in-between, seeing
that the traffic is for another unit, will "forward" that modbus packet to the next and then to the next
until the address matches.   Then, that Classic will respond with the answer or acknowledgement.

This information, when in Follow-Me mode should travel in only one direction around the loop.

That should work OK with the Follow-Me however it MIGHT take a few seconds ?

Are you getting ANY responses at all or just the "Got Comm ?"  status when you change
to the other Classic's address ?

There is also another mode we use but is for when using the SMA inverters which act as masters
to control each Classic's charge voltage and report back to the Sunny Island.  This shouldn't have
anything to do with your system but in the MISC menu under COMM sub-menu there is a setting
for that.  You COULD try fiddling with that but it should be good.  You have to reboot the Classic(s)
to have that take effect though.

Your issue MIGHT be due to the Lite (MNLP) panel being plugged in ?  I seem to remember that those
could cause issues.  They may work OK though if the MNLP dip-switches are set to "CUSTOM" so that
it does not change any settings whatsoever in the Classic it is connected to.

The networked communications is not instantaneous unfortunately.

Sorry about the hassles.  This shouldn't be so tough for anybody !

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me