PV SPD location

Started by jnahanna@gmail.com, December 14, 2017, 11:32:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jnahanna@gmail.com

So I have a question.  What is the best place for the PV SPD?  My PV panel rack is 400 ft from the Charge controllers and the wiring is 4/0 AL buried.  I do have combiner boxes under the PV array but we aren't supposed to use the knockouts on the side for outdoor installs.  Should I mount them at the array or close to the CC.

The AC ones are on the breaker box near the inverter and CC's.

Thanks, Jim

ClassicCrazy

Curious why you can't use the side knockouts at the combiner ? Is that a code or inspector rule ?  The SPD does have a gasket . I mounted mine on outside combiner box on the side .  As for the best location I am not sure about that if one is better than the other .

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

keithwhare

With 400 ft of cable between the combiner and the charge controllers, I would use an SPD at both ends.

Keith

CDN-VT

I agree with Both .

Use a side knock out , seal with the SPD flat seal nut out & the internal nut lock , use the rubber washer outside the box .
Done .

I will put tape on the SPD to lower the LED light output .
Another inside is Backup !!

VT

Edit add :
The tape is to tone down the brightness at night . Between external MNBMS greens etc , it can look like Dec year round. So I have painted the green leds 1/2 to tone them down .
I live in a forest away from lights , black is the night shade.

VT
Canadian Solar 350W 37.6 VOC  30.6 VMP 8.22 ISC 7.87 IMP ,-15 c +30c max  4 strings in 2 in Series for 24v Classic 150 -1020 Ah  Freezers & fridges ~~~ Second Array same panels of 3sx3 parallel for 24 V Classic 150 -440 Ah Outback Barns & out blds.
48Vdc almost done,11Strings up of 3s11P same panels