Classic goes to resting in early afternoons.

Started by russ_drinkwater, January 14, 2018, 12:33:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

russ_drinkwater

On my sons solar setup one of the classic regs goes into resting at about 3pm on some afternoons.
This is frustrating as it stops the usage of air-conditioning due to lack of input amps.
The smaller array and reg will put in 20-30 amps.
The bigger array is just cooling its heels as the reg is resting.
Any suggestions please?
Did a factory reset and it is charging now.
Standalone. 20 Hyundai x 220 watts panels, 2 x classic 150's, Latronics 24 volt 3kw inverter, Whiz bang Jnr, 12 Rolls surrete  4KS 25P  batteries and WBJ.
Grid tie feed-in, 12.5 kw in 3 arrays generating 50 kws per day average. Solar river grid tie inverters

boB

Hi Russ.
Have you looked at the "Reason For Resting" code after it is sitting there doing nothing ?

Is there a second charging source that is possibly keeping the voltage slightly above the lazy Classic's set points ? (Absorb ?)

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

russ_drinkwater

There are 2 sets of arrays feeding into the one battery bank Bob.
That will change late this week with the arrival of the second bank of L16 a/c batteries.
Both classics have exactly the same settings.
The only difference is one is a classic and the other is a lite with a classic front on it.
I did try to get follow me going between the two regs, but the whiz bang reading 100% most times
did not help. So I not been using the whiz bang or follow me.
Standalone. 20 Hyundai x 220 watts panels, 2 x classic 150's, Latronics 24 volt 3kw inverter, Whiz bang Jnr, 12 Rolls surrete  4KS 25P  batteries and WBJ.
Grid tie feed-in, 12.5 kw in 3 arrays generating 50 kws per day average. Solar river grid tie inverters

boB

Quote from: russ_drinkwater on January 14, 2018, 03:47:39 PM
There are 2 sets of arrays feeding into the one battery bank Bob.
That will change late this week with the arrival of the second bank of L16 a/c batteries.
Both classics have exactly the same settings.
The only difference is one is a classic and the other is a lite with a classic front on it.
I did try to get follow me going between the two regs, but the whiz bang reading 100% most times
did not help. So I not been using the whiz bang or follow me.

Even in Follow Me, each Classic will use its own voltage sensing to determine if it is at, above or below the present set-point.

If the Classics came out of Bulk MPPT and into Absorb, the voltages may be so close to the set point that any inaccuracies
in voltage sensed at their terminals can cause one unit to think its voltage is a tenth or more of a volt above the set point and
next time it tries thinks about it, it may just stay off if the voltage is a above that set-point.  Restarting may very well start
them both to contribute again.  This is not a problem though because soon as loads come on, they would both go back
to bulk or Absorb to get the voltage back up to set-point.

Are the Classics in Absorb at this time of day ?

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

russ_drinkwater

I am unsure what cycle they were in Bob as I live 8kms away on another property.
After the restart it functioned fine yesterday.
Will go over today and check settings again.
It did happen here at the main house once with one of my regs but it was only once and
nearly 12 months ago now.

boB

OK, thanks.

The hourly (minutely actually)  data logs can help diagnose the charge stage and other data here...

That data log is good for only a couple (maybe 3 ?) days though.  It data logs every 5 or 10 minutes
the battery voltage, charge stage, energy and power.  This is where you could go back and look at the
battery voltage and charge stage to get an idea if things were kind of normal but something else
might have been keeping the battery voltage above set point.

Let us know if you need help in getting through the data log reading procedures.  The graphical
method of viewing this information is the best I think.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

russ_drinkwater

Thanks for that. I have connected the second array and 150 to a separate battery bank now and
will be keeping a close eye on both regs.
Have been no further issues since Doug did the factory reset.