Classic 150 Won't Quick Start

Started by VT Fool, January 14, 2018, 09:58:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VT Fool

Following system on line since Sept 2017.
PV SYSTEM
( 6 ) Canadian Solar CS6P-260P 260 Watt PV Modules
( 1 ) Complete IronRidge roof-mounting system
( 1 ) MidNite Solar CLASSIC150 MPPT high-efficiency charge controller
( 1 ) MidNite Solar MNPV Solar Combiner, breakers, wiring, etc.
( 1 ) Complete MidNite Solar DC surge and lightning protection system
INVERTER SYSTEM
( 1 ) Schneider Electric Conext SW4048 â€" 4,000 Watt 120/240V pure sine wave inverter/charger
( 1 ) Schneider Electric Conext SCP â€" System Control Panel
( 1 ) Schneider Electric Conext Battery Monitor
( 1 ) Schneider Electric Automatic Generator Start (AGS) Module**
( 1 ) MidNite Solar MNE175SW AC/DC electrical distribution panel, includes generator bypass assembly,
all AC and DC circuit breakers, battery monitoring shunt, etc. Complete
( 1 ) Complete MidNite Solar AC surge and lightning protection system
BATTERY STORAGE SYSTEM
( 8 ) Rolls S6-275AGM sealed AGM lead acid batteries â€" 48V, 250 Ahr @ C20

After 1st week the Classic came up once with Got Comm?, power cycled it and the trouble cleared.
2 days ago Got Comm? came up again but power cycle did not clear.  Called system supplier and they suggested a factory reset.
Followed the directions using the pins on JP1 and JP4 but the leds never went into flashing mode. Then tried the quick start method shown on pg 30 of manual, answered the questions (solar, battery voltage 48 and then the charge volt parameters, and time and date) but the unit is just making a clicking sound (sound goes away when fan wiring plug disconnected) and the screen just says “sending data” with numbers 4136 & 502. A red and green led are lit on the cover and the red and yellow leds are lit on the circuit board and the unit does not reset.

Any other procedure that will get the unit functioning or is a board replacement in order?  Supplier coming out in two days (MLK holiday) but trying to capture some photons, instead of burning LP to recharge batteries.

Any replies appreciated.

Peace out - Hank

boB

Was this "1st week" near September when it was brought online ?

The "Got Comm ?" can occur for different reasons.  One reason is that the MNGP remote has changed
addresses.  The Classic normally comes up at address 10 as well as the MNGP remote.

One thing you might check is to pull the cover off the Classic and push down on the different corner
areas of the top control circuit board to make sure it is well seated and connectors are making good
connection.  (power off first of course)

It is possible that somehow, the MNGP's address got changed which would mean that using the jumper method
would put the Classic itself back to 10 and reset all its settings but would do nothing to the MNGP itself.
This was for those Classics without an MNGP.    Doing the VMM (Vulcan Mind Meld) by powering up and
holding the LEFT and RIGHT arrow keys is supposed to have the MNGP send all of the setup and address 10
information to the Classic over address 255 (any Classic however configured for its address will respond
and talk over address 255) and all should be well again....     UNLESS....

Unless the Classic and/or MNGP just don't talk/listen anymore.  I would first get an idea of the Classic's state of mind
by turning it off and on and notice what happens with the 3 LEDs on its circuit board, seen through the air vent.
When it boots up, the LEDs should go left to right, one then another then another, one per second.  Then, all three
LEDs should flash back and forth a few times while the fans turn on for a couple of seconds for a self-check.

The bottom two LEDs on the MNGP remote should also flash on and off the same time as the LEDs inside the Classic
are flashing and the fans are self-testing.

It might also be a  bad  MNGP to Classic phone cable.  If it were a bad phone jack inside the Classic itself, you can plug
the MNGP cable into the middle phone jack in the Classic.  Only main difference is that the middle jack will not control the
MNGPs bottom two LEDs.

Can you try and download the MidNite Local App and connect up the Classic's Ethernet jack to your home network if you
have one ?  That is easier than connecting it directly to your computer itself.

If the Classic keeps resetting, which would be shown by constant flashing of the LEDs or NO flashing of the LEDs
then it may be that the Classic control board  has a problem.

Take a volt-meter and make sure the PV terminals are showing voltage just to make sure the Classic's power section,
(the bottom PCB) is not smoked (sanity check)

boB

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Resthome

Yeah, what boB said !!

What are the firmware version for Classic and MNGP ??
John

10 x Kyocera KC140, Classic 150 w/WBJr, Link10 Battery Monitor, 850 AH @ 12v Solar One 2v cells, Xantrex PROwatt SW2000
Off Grid on Houseboat Lake Don Pedro, CA

VT Fool

Went through all of the suggested checks, measured voltage is OK from battery bank and PV at terminals, tried to connect to the unit with PC but no communication.  The leds on circuit board did not change state (status still per my original post) when performing the power cycle procedure.
Do not know what Firmware was provided with the unit.  Installer coming tomorrow to troubleshoot/replace unit.

Thanks to all for the assistance.
Peace out - Hank

Vic

VT Fool,

So  your Classic 150  is NOT  the Classic Lite,   correct ??

The Lite is no longer made.

The standard Classic 150 has an LCD front panel,  with a few pushbutton switches on its front.   Is the model of Classic that you have?

If you have the standard Classic,  then you can press the left small round button six or so times,   from the main status page on the LCD,  and you will be able to read the Classic,   MNGP  (the Graphic Panel)   and Network firmware version numbers.

If you have the standard Classic,   what are those Firmware version numbers?

If you have not seen the Manual,  and/or do not have the Quick Start Guide,   use the following Link,  and choose the Classic Manual Version 2056,  or the 1993 Quick Start Guide,   go to the following Link,choose 'Classic 150',   and then scroll down to Manuals,   and or Quick Start Guide:
http://www.midnitesolar.com/doc_prod_list.php?menuItem=products&productCat_ID=21&productCatName=Charge Controllers - Classics

Thanks,   Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

Resthome

It sounds like at one time you got it to reset to factory default by using the MNGP because you said you had to enter Solar and voltage. When did it start showing Sending Data and have that stuck on the MNGP screen?

Have you just turned of the PV breaker and the battery breaker and the turned on just the battery breaker ?  Is this where it got stuck with Sending Data ?

I would also check the blue cable between the MNGP and the Classic and reseat them. An occasional Got Com is not a problem if it is saying Got Com ? all the time that's a problem.

Suspect supplier will just replace the Classic. If so get the firmware version numbers. It may not be the latest if these where sitting on a shelf some where. Although there was only one update early in 2017 IIRC.

John

10 x Kyocera KC140, Classic 150 w/WBJr, Link10 Battery Monitor, 850 AH @ 12v Solar One 2v cells, Xantrex PROwatt SW2000

VT Fool

Immediately after performing the Quick Start with MNGP the Sending data message occurred and remained in this state.  I checked all the cables and connections, all appear proper. Pics at link below show status of unit.  Every picture tells a story, donut!!

https://onenote.com/webapp/pages?token=U74H3SPaJu8P7NyqVmGKJhnuaUr33tf11Lzn-DMCSB7Q4KM_a_O_LgNlGlYOcmsy9A72V4Nh-DbmXlKqQlsGW1L6iJXPTv4t0&id=636517106689171510
Peace out - Hank

Vic

Hi VT Fool,

Thanks for the pics.

When the Classic gets stuck in "Sending Data"  (to the MNGP),   it usually occurs  from  a failed attempt to Update the Classic/MNGP Firmware.

Perhaps the installer tried to do the update,   and it failed (?)  ...   dunno.

But,   seems that someone does (probably)  need to successfully update the FW,   from scratch.

Just guessing,   good luck,  Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

ClassicCrazy

Seems I remember one firmware update where the MNGP got stuck trying to load  like that and the only way I found to fix it was to use the jumper reset. But that was awhile ago and who knows if this is the same problem.

If I have time I will try to look it up on the forums here.
Found it - don't know if it will help but take a look .
http://midniteftp.com/forum/index.php?topic=2282.msg21422#msg21422

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

Resthome

Here is a clip from an old post by Ryan on what I think is the same issue. At least the original poster said it was stuck sending data with the same data values. The 502 made me suspect this. 502 is the Modbus Port number.

Lots of special keys to press but give it a try can't hurt.

John

VT Fool

Hey Resthome,

Thanks for birddogging the info.  My installer showed up today and we tried a few things but ended up replacing with a new unit.  I'll file this whole event in the back of my brain but at this age the long term mem is better than the short one, not sure how much will be retained.

Thanks again to all,
Peace out - Hank

boB

Hi VT.  Hopefully the replacement works better.

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me