Buyer Beware - Avoid the SL

Started by Just4Fun20, January 24, 2018, 06:08:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just4Fun20

For anyone buying a Midnite Solar Classic... Great unit.  However, avoid the SL.  The specs do say it's not "Internet Ready" and the fine print shows that it has no RJ-45 port.  I admit that if I'd dug deeper the information is (sort of) there.  What this means is that it has no local Ethernet capability.  That means that any of the cool software you see on this site, for locally monitoring the box, WON'T WORK?  Spend the extra $45 and you may save $200 on a monitoring device. 

Just my two cents but if I had it to do over again I would not by the 150-SL and instead would by the 150. 

Regards,

ClassicCrazy

Maybe you should check with Midnite and ask them if they can and how much it would cost to convert your SL into a regular Classic. Certainly worth the inquiry about possible options.  I can understand how someone could not fully understand those differences between the models. I didn't because I hadn't paid attention to the new SL model until you mentioned it.

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

Matrix

If it's new and you can't return it, there is always the eBay or similar opinion. You should be able to sell it for close to what you paid for it. I've had decent success with that.
Grid-Assist Off-Grid
REC TwinPeak 2 285W 3S-3P 2565w-STC 1926w-NMOT Array / Classic 150 / Conext SW 4024 Inverter
Trojan L16H-AC 435Ah bank 4S  with 7' of 4/0 cable
24 volt system /  Need 3200Whs Daily
My System Install

KyleM

Quote from: ClassicCrazy on January 25, 2018, 12:27:03 AM
Maybe you should check with Midnite and ask them if they can and how much it would cost to convert your SL into a regular Classic. Certainly worth the inquiry about possible options.  I can understand how someone could not fully understand those differences between the models. I didn't because I hadn't paid attention to the new SL model until you mentioned it.

Larry

It would be a complete board replacement plus a few add ons to convert an SL to a regular costing much more than the 40$ people think they saved.
The SL is a great secondary Classic for systems that need to run multiple charge controllers. Much like the lite was before it was discontinued.

It is functional as a stand alone, but I would rather pay a little more to have all the bells and whistles.

Kyle

Robin

Hi Just for fun20. I'm sorry you didn't read the fine print. Actually we do not have any fine print and try to make it clear that the SL doesn't do internet. That said what can we do about this.........I would suggest you sell the SL and call Michelle at our front desk and buy a V stock Classic150. The V stocks are returned units that we go through and make to new standards. That means we replace boards if they are old. The V stocks go through a very long burn in process and are much better tested than new production units. We can sell you a V stock at 50% off retail.
We normally use V stocks for advance shipments when customers have problems.
Hope this helps.
Robin Gudgel

Just4Fun20

Thank you Robin.  I may well consider that. 

For all.  You need to be a smidge careful.  I completely agree that it says it doesn't do "Internet".  Honestly, I could care less about Internet.  I live in an RV and I'll never have persistent Internet connectivity.  So, the issue isn't "Internet Connectivity". 

The finer print is where the true answer lies.  Under connectors there is no RJ-45 listed.  That is the issue.  What I care about is the LOCAL connectivity.  The local application.  That has absolutely nothing to do with Internet connectivity.  That is Ethernet connectivity (RJ-45).  I will freely admit that I'm sort of too close to that side of things.  I'm a computer and network expert, so, to me, the differences between Internet and Ethernet are profound. 

Also, I freely admit this was all my fault.  No worries.  I'm not even mad.  However, as I started digging around and finding out about all the very cool local monitoring capability, and then found out I couldn't do it, I was a bit set back and felt it important to warn people.  Honestly, the local monitoring is a huge deal and I would urge MidNite Solar to consider making it clear that the SL series can not do local monitoring. 

Thank you. 

wagreg

i got caught with the same thing. i was not pleased about it either.

keithwhare

On the MidNite web site, the current description of the Classic 150-SL says "The Classic SL-150 has a graphics panel and ground fault but no arc fault or Ethernet capabilities."

I've been dealing with networking for multiple decades, so these words are obvious to me.

What words do you think would do a better job of indicating that the Classic SL-150s do not have any networking capability?

Keith

ClassicCrazy

I think if it said "  This model will not work with any Midnite monitoring software  " that would help .

So just for my information -  Does the  Classic Solar model  work with a Whizbang and display all the information on the MNGP and also run the AUX contacts  same as regular Classic ?

Larry

system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

KyleM

Quote from: ClassicCrazy on January 29, 2018, 11:52:39 AM
I think if it said "  This model will not work with any Midnite monitoring software  " that would help .

So just for my information -  Does the  Classic Solar model  work with a Whizbang and display all the information on the MNGP and also run the AUX contacts  same as regular Classic ?

Larry

Yes sir the WBjr communicates directly through the AUX 2 port so no ethernet connectivity is needed.

-Kyle

russ_drinkwater

Ebay seller jammed me with a lite and I was really not a happy camper.
Standalone. 20 Hyundai x 220 watts panels, 2 x classic 150's, Latronics 24 volt 3kw inverter, Whiz bang Jnr, 12 Rolls surrete  4KS 25P  batteries and WBJ.
Grid tie feed-in, 12.5 kw in 3 arrays generating 50 kws per day average. Solar river grid tie inverters

Just4Fun20

I'm with ClassicCrazy.  A statement such as: "This model will not work with any Midnite monitoring software".  Even to Keithwhare's comment... yes, no Ethernet (I've already admitted I missed that) but that certainly doesn't mean it can't work with local monitoring software.  There's a USB port there, but as far as I can tell the local software won't support USB. 

I do have to look into the ?whizbang?.  My challenge now is that I want to add monitoring.  1)  I can buy a unit from another company.  There are many out there.  2) I could try to find a way to interface this unit (whizbang?)  3) I can sell my unit on ebay (or similar) and buy a new or refurbished unit. 

The issue is simply which path gives the best monitoring for the least amount of money and is easiest to install/implement. 

I also stress, to anyone reading.  This is a great unit and I'm very happy with it.  I'd recommend it to anyone.  I'd just not recommend the SL due to the lack of local monitoring.  There's a ton of very useful monitoring capability that's just going to waste and that's what bothers me. 

Have a great day. 

ClassicCrazy

Figure out a way to get the Classic   - that will be your best monitoring options - there is MyMidnite on their servers, there is Local Status App that works on PC or Androids and lets you not only monitor but also change your settings and save them for easy restore after firmware updates or hard resets, and there is also Grahams android Classic Monitoring App which you can also use on Windows with android emulator and that one is the best graphics and monitoring of them all. All the above are free . There are a few others out there too though I haven't tried them.

The only hitch is only one app can be connected to Classic at a time - so Local Status app or Grahams Classic Monitoring app  not at same time. The MyMidnite will work on its own and not interfer with those others.

Larry
system 1
system 2
system 3
KID / Brat portable

Just4Fun20

Quote from: KyleM on January 29, 2018, 12:02:06 PM
Quote from: ClassicCrazy on January 29, 2018, 11:52:39 AM

Larry

Yes sir the WBjr communicates directly through the AUX 2 port so no ethernet connectivity is needed.

-Kyle

I'm sorry Kyle but what exactly does that mean?  Does that mean if I buy a WhizBang Jr. I can gain access to all of the monitoring and reporting in the Classic (through the serial (USB) port)?  Or would I only be able to access the current reporting, which is provided by the WBJr? 

I'm currently evaluating options.  I can get a TriMetric TM-2030 (or something similar).  I can sell my SL on ebay and buy a non-SL classic 150.  Is getting a WBJr a third option?  I mean clearly it is an option, but would that third option provide the local monitoring capabilities without having to upgrade my installed Classic-150-SL? 

Thank you for any clarification.

ClassicCrazy

Having used both the trimetric and the Classic with the Whizbang I can tell you that you don't want the Trimetric in comparison.

I think what Kyle means is that if you get the Whiz Bang you will be able to see it's data via the MNGP on the Classic but it won't change the fact of not being able to use software with your present SL model. There is a Whiz Bang Jr Shunt screen on the MNGP.  Maybe that only shows up when you have the Whizbang installed.  The Whiz bang connects up to the Classic via a wire to the Aux 2 terminal in the Classic. You would also need to install a shunt in your system which is what the Whizbang mounts on .

The additional features that the Whizbang would give you is ability to see State of Charge and system amps ( what is actually going into or out of battery ) .  You can also then effectively use the Ending Amps setting on the Classic if you want to .

If you do get the regular Classic down the line you would also need that same Whizbang and shunt and it would be ready to go .

Just for your info   - the shunt has  only the battery  negative wire on one side of it - all other negative connections would be on the other side of te shunt  which means the shunt and whiz bang will see all power going into and out of the battery. 

Larry
system 1
system 2
system 3
KID / Brat portable