Battery Amp Capacity Setting and Charging in the Classic

Started by Matrix, March 03, 2018, 07:54:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matrix

In the Classic Set up I am supposed to enter the amp hour capacity of my battery bank ... in my case 435 Ah.  What does the classic actually use this info for?   

- SOC, Net Ah,  Remaining Ah calculations?
- Some thing else?
- What role - if any - does the battery capacity parameter play in charging? 

Let's say I enter 435 ah,  does that in any way determine the amps / current going into the battery at any stage in charging? 

Or what if I used 100 ah,  would the battery bank charge differently.

I know with the Conext SW Inverter/Chargers,  the End Amp for charging is "SUPPOSED" to be set at 2% of the battery capacity entered by the user.  ie.  100ah enter would end charge at 2 amps,  435ah would end the charge at 8.7 amps, unless the absorb timer ran out.  Of course with so many things Schneider, this does not work correctly.  It pretty much ends at about 7-8 amps when I set it to 50 ah.   :-\

But what about the Classic and this parameter?  Does user entered Battery Capacity have any effect on charging? 
Grid-Assist Off-Grid
REC TwinPeak 2 285W 3S-3P 2565w-STC 1926w-NMOT Array / Classic 150 / Conext SW 4024 Inverter
Trojan L16H-AC 435Ah bank 4S  with 7' of 4/0 cable
24 volt system /  Need 3200Whs Daily
My System Install

ClassicCrazy

I uses the battery amp hour capacity for the first thing you said -
- SOC, Net Ah,  Remaining Ah calculations
It does not use it for anything to do with how the batteries are charged.
There are efficiency and temperature settings in that setup area too that will effect how the SOC is calculated.

You can use any number you want to for the battery capacity . For example I had some old SLA batteries rated maybe for 160 AH but I set the capacity at 100 ah because then it gave me a more realistic view of what I had in my batteries to use. 
And keep in mind the SOC is an estimate and can be fairly accurate .

The charging is mainly determined by what you enter for Absorb and Float setpoints and ending amps as well as temperature compensation from the battery temperature sensor.

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

Matrix

Thanks ... so in the case of the batteries not quite reaching full charge in the winter,  it is better to raise Absorb voltage, (especially if it is already hi) or is it better to extend end amp by setting that lower,  say to 3.5 instead of 1% which is for me 4.3. 

Both would have similar effects for different reasons and methods.
Grid-Assist Off-Grid
REC TwinPeak 2 285W 3S-3P 2565w-STC 1926w-NMOT Array / Classic 150 / Conext SW 4024 Inverter
Trojan L16H-AC 435Ah bank 4S  with 7' of 4/0 cable
24 volt system /  Need 3200Whs Daily
My System Install