What do YOU do with the kids load out?

Started by Kindavacant, January 24, 2018, 09:47:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kindavacant

Just curious and looking for new ideas.

What I've done:

Told the kid: when you hit float send everything you can to load out, load out was then wired to a Go-Power 30A controller as PV in and battery went to the starter battery of my motorhome (I full time in a '84 Itasca Sunflyer btw). Think my Alternator is dead hence the experiment and it worked perfect.

This summer a 100W panel will replace the above load out and noticed some filth on the battery lugs, bad ventilation, batteries are in a box with two vents, floor and mid. Since I love 12v computer fans, plan to amp limit to three matching 12v fans, have them turn on at 'dawn' and off at 'dusk', maybe leave them running, only .9 amp each, not sure but think it will work. Two fans for the battery box and a third to cool the kids fins since it tends to error out in 110-120F which is summer temp here (in hell).

So Kid load out stories?

ClassicCrazy

system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

Kindavacant

Quote from: ClassicCrazy on January 25, 2018, 12:03:48 AM
Why amp limit the fans ?

Larry

Good question. Still experimenting with load out. Amps to fans would be limited since they'd be on during bulk and Absorb and want the remaining amps for the batteries, unless I'm missing something which is probably true.

ClassicCrazy

You are thinking more of slowing down the fans but the amp limit wouldn't really do what you are thinking it would.
Those little computer fans don't use very much power .

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

Kindavacant

I think the amp limit will do exactly what I want. System is 12v out, fans are 12v, 3 planned  fans at .9 amp DC, so only give them 4 amps they should spin full power.

What I don't know is if those 4 amps are deducted from 30A max battery out during a charge that will use all 30 amps out. God I need a day off to test all this, have to test..

Anyways back to original subject.

Kindavacant

Finally got a day off..well was able to laundry a months worth of socks before being called back for 3 battery jobs. The Kid with 1856 firmware froze afternoon of the 27th at some unknown time so after the battery jobs took it apart, attached 2 load leads and updated the firmware to 1860 telling the shop, any kids we install update the firmware (will be my jobs to do).

So, hooked up one 0.9 amp 12v fan to the load, found a fuse (my back-from-repair Kid was NOT the one I sent out btw). In the battery menu set the load amps to lowest setting, which is 1 amp, battery still says 30amps max out. Fan ran like a breeze. Other two fans will hook up later (maybe when I have a day off to wash a months worth of underwear then called for a 6 hour inverter, split-battery bank and 2000W Solar install on a Tiffin RV). But this leads to questions:

1) Are the load out and battery out amps separate? Load max 30amps, battery max 30amps? At the same time? Or is the 1 amp I'm using for load turning max amp to battery 29 amps? I can test this, just don't have the time to throw the 2 150 watt panels in the Hallway on the roof adding to the 575 watts there and tilt everything.

2) The kid in Timer says it's 1am. On the Classic 150s I can set the actual time, how's that set on the Kid?

Oh and this is still on topic, my DIY Kid cooling fan hums from load out..

EDIT: So #1 above still no clue other then the Kid has a 30amp load circuit..

#2 the Kid has a Solar clock that makes no sense but seems workable, for two evenings in a row @ 6:14pm, the kid is saying it's 1:18am and at around 8am this morning the Kid said it was 1pm so to turn fans on at 10am, off at 5pm..ech, math. Screw it, wiring the fans to batteries with two toggle switches.

Now enter the brand-spanking shiny new question #3! With the load free now, could it control a DC roof fan (14"x14" 12v RV fan) that always runs at one speed, high, using 5 amps DC. Classic Crazy, would limiting the amps to 3 really slow it down?

Highflyer

1)  If the load uses one amp, the batteries will get 29 max,

2)  You cannot set the time on the Kid ( I believe there is a hardware limitation, but I'm not 100%)

3)  To slow down a fan , I believe the experts are going  to tell you to adjust the voltage ( with a resistor), not by limiting the amps. 

The Kid can run always on loads., dawn to dusk, and dusk to dawn as well, and several other settings, I use PWM divert for a water heater.

As for the three amp question see above.  Or just use a a slower setting on the fan.
Brian

The one thing is the one thing