Classic aux settings for lifepo4 bms charging termination

Started by mahendra, February 12, 2018, 06:14:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RossW

Quote from: 5 Minutes 2 Midnite on February 19, 2018, 03:06:32 AM
Quote from: boB on February 19, 2018, 12:45:43 AM
Won't hurt to take a quick look though even to satisfy my own curiosity.

Thanx. And It might be fun to throw the Pi idea to a MODBUS programmer on upwork.com. Those folks were cheap, and if there is sufficient documentation on how the Classic uses MODBUS perhaps they could write the code w/o actually having a Classic on hand. If I work up the energy I might iterate the idea, since so many could possibly benefit from such a solution.

My NewModbus already exists for the pi, already has all the hard work done, and is being used by a couple of classic owners for exactly this purpose already.

Should be an executable at http://support.rossw.net/midnite/
3600W on 6 tracking arrays.
7200W on 2 fixed array.
Midnite Classic 150
Outback Flexmax FM80
16 x LiFePO4 600AH cells
16 x LiFePO4 300AH cells
Selectronics SP-PRO 481 5kW inverter
Fronius 6kW AC coupled inverter
Home-brew 4-cyl propane powered 14kVa genset
2kW wind turbine

mahendra

Ok my charge signal is simply a relay so I am not sure how this would tell the classic to stop charging on aux 2. There is no voltage.
1.5kw on Midnite classic 150(whizbang jr.) networked 0.660kw on classic lite 200 ,180ah CALB Lifepo4 48v battery bank,123SmartBMS bms(top balanced) Outback vfx3648

RossW

Quote from: mahendra on February 19, 2018, 04:26:08 AM
Ok my charge signal is simply a relay so I am not sure how this would tell the classic to stop charging on aux 2. There is no voltage.

With the addition of something like a Raspberry Pi, you could use the voltage-free relay contacts to one of the GPIO inputs on the pi. A very simple script (or simple program) could poll that input and once the "stop charging" signal is seen, could send commands via modbus to the classic to either change its charge parameters or force it into another mode (like float).
3600W on 6 tracking arrays.
7200W on 2 fixed array.
Midnite Classic 150
Outback Flexmax FM80
16 x LiFePO4 600AH cells
16 x LiFePO4 300AH cells
Selectronics SP-PRO 481 5kW inverter
Fronius 6kW AC coupled inverter
Home-brew 4-cyl propane powered 14kVa genset
2kW wind turbine

mahendra

Well that's what I am looking for but guess I have to do a bit research on PI.

What hardware would I require for this?
1.5kw on Midnite classic 150(whizbang jr.) networked 0.660kw on classic lite 200 ,180ah CALB Lifepo4 48v battery bank,123SmartBMS bms(top balanced) Outback vfx3648

mahendra

Or what are the possible ways to still use a no voltage relay to force the classic to rest of float.
Force float as observed is another input function of aux 2.

ClassicCrazy

Quote from: 5 Minutes 2 Midnite on February 19, 2018, 03:06:32 AM
Quote from: boB on February 19, 2018, 12:45:43 AM
Won't hurt to take a quick look though even to satisfy my own curiosity.

Thanx. And It might be fun to throw the Pi idea to a MODBUS programmer on upwork.com. Those folks were cheap, and if there is sufficient documentation on how the Classic uses MODBUS perhaps they could write the code w/o actually having a Classic on hand. If I work up the energy I might iterate the idea, since so many could possibly benefit from such a solution.

There is a section on the forums here with examples and code from people who have made the Arduino and Raspberry Pi work with their Classics   look on main forum page then down to  The Open Source software/hardware corner
Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

5 Minutes 2 Midnite

Quote from: RossW on February 19, 2018, 03:56:42 AM
My NewModbus already exists for the pi, already has all the hard work done, and is being used by a couple of classic owners for exactly this purpose already.

Nice Ross! Thanks so much for sharing this.

It would be interesting to talk to one of the owners using your utility for this purpose and see how they put all the pieces together to derive the solution. I'm sure it's all very straightforward once completed, but if someone has taken this over the hump it would be helpful to see a step-by-step outlined.

Thanx again.
Qty 24 Sharp 153W poly panels, Midnite MNPV6 combiner, Midnite Classic 150 charge controller, Magnum MS-4448-PAE inverter with RC50 remote, Magnum MMP Mini panel,  QTY 2 Chinese made self-contained 200 AH wall mounted LFP power banks with built in BMS

5 Minutes 2 Midnite

Quote from: mahendra on February 19, 2018, 09:50:37 AM
Or what are the possible ways to still use a no voltage relay to force the classic to rest of float.
Force float as observed is another input function of aux 2.

Mahendra, if I am understanding the thread correctly the aux 2 is no longer in play. The action is at the Ethernet port instead (see boB's comment). I think the outline is that it would work like this:

1) The output relay terminals on your BMS physically connects to an I/O port on a Rasberry pi (that's the hardware you were inquiring about. Plus SD storage card and power supply for pi)

2) The pi is running the executable supplied by RossW

3) The pi has an Ethernet cable connecting it to the Classic's Ethernet port

Now it's just a question of using the utility running on the pi to trigger the Classic into Resting/Float mode when the pi detects a closed loop on the input from the BMS.

I have never seen a pi and have no idea how to load the utility to it and then program it as needed. You probably don't either. So both of us should probably checkout the section ClassicCrazy is pointing to for more info.
Qty 24 Sharp 153W poly panels, Midnite MNPV6 combiner, Midnite Classic 150 charge controller, Magnum MS-4448-PAE inverter with RC50 remote, Magnum MMP Mini panel,  QTY 2 Chinese made self-contained 200 AH wall mounted LFP power banks with built in BMS