Classic switches from Bulk to Absorb a bit early

Started by 5 Minutes 2 Midnite, February 21, 2018, 10:49:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

5 Minutes 2 Midnite

Quite simply, I have my classic 150 programmed to transition from bulk to absorb at 55.2v. However the controller repeatedly makes the transition at 54.8v.

I've watched to see if maybe the transition to absorb occurs at 55.2 and then pack voltage drops to 54.8. But that is not the pattern. As soon as 54.8 volts is hit the controller switches to absorb.

Is this normal behavior?

Qty 24 Sharp 153W poly panels, Midnite MNPV6 combiner, Midnite Classic 150 charge controller, Magnum MS-4448-PAE inverter with RC50 remote, Magnum MMP Mini panel,  QTY 2 Chinese made self-contained 200 AH wall mounted LFP power banks with built in BMS

ClassicCrazy

I was going to say yeah because of temperature compensation , but I see you don't have a battery temperature sensor installed in one of the screen shots.
Curious why you didn't put it on and wondering if that has anything to do with it.

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

5 Minutes 2 Midnite

Well I'm running LPFs and they don't use that feature.
Qty 24 Sharp 153W poly panels, Midnite MNPV6 combiner, Midnite Classic 150 charge controller, Magnum MS-4448-PAE inverter with RC50 remote, Magnum MMP Mini panel,  QTY 2 Chinese made self-contained 200 AH wall mounted LFP power banks with built in BMS

ClassicCrazy

I just looked at your Local Status App screen shots again.
  If you are charging then the system amps should be showing something . You must not have your shunt installed correctly or some other wiring issue there.

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

5 Minutes 2 Midnite

If you look at the battery meter on the premature absorb pic it reads 11A. The wizbang shunt is currently disabled on the controller (the wizbang died a while back).

boB

Quote from: 5 Minutes 2 Midnite on February 21, 2018, 03:47:25 PM
If you look at the battery meter on the premature absorb pic it reads 11A. The wizbang shunt is currently disabled on the controller (the wizbang died a while back).

We will fix or replace your Whizbang Junior.  Easy Peasy.  Probably that annoying one single SMT 1206 sized capacitor has broken that we have
since replaced with one that won't be so much of an issue

Not sure about the voltage not going to your Absorb setting but as close as it is getting to it, it may just be that the Local App view
is not updating often enough for you to have seen the voltage match.  The LA is rather slow at updating as I remember.
You would have to look at the MNGP remote display closely to follow that changeover I think.  Maybe.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

5 Minutes 2 Midnite

Quote from: boB on February 21, 2018, 04:43:12 PM
We will fix or replace your Whizbang Junior.  Easy Peasy.  Probably that annoying one single SMT 1206 sized capacitor has broken that we have

Not sure about the voltage not going to your Absorb setting but as close as it is getting to it, it may just be that the Local App view
is not updating often enough for you to have seen the voltage match.  The LA is rather slow at updating as I remember.
You would have to look at the MNGP remote display closely to follow that changeover I think.  Maybe.

boB

Ha. Don't worry about the wizbang. I actually RMA'd via raechel some time ago. She shipped me a new one but Somehow the replacement got lost in the mail. The package had tracking but my local post master insisted it had been delivered. Ya gotta pick your fights, so one of these days I will order another.

I think you may have something on the display not being update as the cause of what I'm seeing. The cells were very near full as I've been making these observations (I've been in LFP Hell for many moons). So I'm going to call this post handled. Thanx boB.

dbcollen

Quote from: 5 Minutes 2 Midnite on February 21, 2018, 04:53:12 PM
She shipped me a new one but Somehow the replacement got lost in the mail. The package had tracking but my local post master insisted it had been delivered.

Sounds like the post office here. I had a priority envelope with a paycheck in it took 2 weeks from California and when it finally said delivered it was not delivered to My address. I constantly get other peoples mail in my box, and assume other people get mine. I have complained several times, no results.

mike90045

Quote from: dbcollen on February 22, 2018, 09:39:10 AM
She shipped me a new one but Somehow the replacement got lost in the mail. The package had tracking but my local post master insisted it had been delivered.

Sounds like the post office here. I had a priority envelope with a paycheck in it took 2 weeks from California and when it finally said delivered it was not delivered to My address. I constantly get other peoples mail in my box, and assume other people get mine. I have complained several times, no results.

Constantly getting others magazines, bills and letters, and I too, assume, my stuff is going elsewhere too.  Post Office is unrepentant.
http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar

Classic 200| 2Kw PV, 160Voc | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph )| Listeroid 6/1, st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | midnight ePanel & 4 SPDs | 48V, 800A NiFe battery bank | MS-TS-MPPT60 w/3Kw PV

WizBandit

Do you have any OFFSETS for the battery voltage set?  If so, be known the DIAL on the local app for Battery Voltage is reading the wrong register, it displays the un-corrected value.  The offsets page on the Local App will show the corrected battery voltage there.  We can't fix it either, a source code issue means no more bug fixes.

5 Minutes 2 Midnite

Hmm, I've never set any offsets that I know of. Certainly not temperature comp.

The controller is powered down right now, but next time I make it over to the trailer with the gear I' go through the settings. Right now too full from homemade enchiladas. :)

boB

Quote from: WizBandit on February 23, 2018, 08:27:20 PM
Do you have any OFFSETS for the battery voltage set?  If so, be known the DIAL on the local app for Battery Voltage is reading the wrong register, it displays the un-corrected value.  The offsets page on the Local App will show the corrected battery voltage there.  We can't fix it either, a source code issue means no more bug fixes.

The offset adjustment should affect all battery voltage readings as far as I know.

It is kind of weird though that when the Classic is in voltage regulation (Absorb, Float, EQ) and you adjust the voltage offset,
the voltage reading on the Classic or Local App will NOT change.  This is because it is just regulating to the set-point.

However, an external meter will change its reading when you change the offset.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

5 Minutes 2 Midnite

Quote from: boB on February 21, 2018, 04:43:12 PM

boB

Ha. Don't worry about the wizbang. I actually RMA'd via raechel some time ago. She shipped me a new one but Somehow the replacement got lost in the mail. The package had tracking but my local post master insisted it had been delivered. Ya gotta pick your fights, so one of these days I will order another.

I think you may have something on the display not being update as the cause of what I'm seeing. The cells were very near full as I've been making these observations (I've been in LFP Hell for many moons). So I'm going to call this post handled. Thanx boB.

BoB, if you are there, I am going to order another WBJ on Monday. Is there any external way to spot the updated version that won't have that SMT 1206? I'm just concerned about purchasing stale stock from someone.

KyleM

5 Minutes 2 Midnite,

Northern Arizona Wind and Sun, The ALT-E Store and Photon  all go through 30 to 70 WBJRs a month. They do not hang around on the shelf very long.
Here is a more complte list of where to buy from http://www.midnitesolar.com/distributors_stocking.php

-Kyle

5 Minutes 2 Midnite