Moonlite Insight

Started by eode, February 27, 2018, 12:32:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eode

Heya, folks.  New here.  I got a Midnite Classic 150, and have been quite happy with it.

I'm not so happy with the local app used to connect to it, though, so I'm thinking of making a new one.  My general plans are:

1) Python library for complete interface with the Midnite Classic
2) Web API service for a simpler interaction with the Classic
3) JS & HTML5 Web page with lots of info and ability to write configuation, designed for touch screen
4) Stick it on my wall using a Raspberry Pi or similar.

I've already managed to connect to the device and pull useful information.  I'm a bit worried about doing writes, as I don't want to mess anything up, but I think there's enough documentation for this to work out ok.

I don't have anything useful to show for it yet, and development will be slow, but in case there are other Python coders (or Midnite Solar folks) with interest in the project, I figured I'd mention it here!  Depending on the level and type of interest, I'll post a GitHub project once I have something useful.

ClassicCrazy

You will probably find some useful info in Arduino section ( and the other homebrew sections) . WillEart has been documenting his Classic control projects and Graham has an excellent Android app though his is just monitoring .
http://midniteftp.com/forum/index.php?board=35.0

Will look forward to trying out anything you get going . Sounds like a good project . The Local Status app has a few quirks and won't go full screen, and I guess is not easy for them to change so it is what it is. Works though.

Remember that only one thing can connect to Classic at a time in case you didn't know and are wondering why something isn't working.  Example - can't connect Local Status app and Grahams android monitoring app at the same time - only one.

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

jedon

I use an RPi with Node-Red. Node-Red has a MODBUS plugin. You can create a nice UI with Node-Red.

ClassicCrazy

Quote from: jedon on June 05, 2018, 01:04:03 PM
I use an RPi with Node-Red. Node-Red has a MODBUS plugin. You can create a nice UI with Node-Red.

I will have to check into that - I am just starting hearing about Node Red so will have to study up on that.

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

ClassicCrazy

I just watched a Node Red modbus how to on youtube - very interesting and he makes it look easy !
Seems like learning the Node Red would save a lot of code programming.
https://youtu.be/fV78MQks6BI

Larry
system 1
system 2
system 3
KID / Brat portable

jedon

Still some coding involved, some Javascript to customize things but certainly a lot easier than a full system from scratch.