Temp Comp Set Point. Meaning?

Started by openplanet, April 03, 2018, 03:59:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

openplanet

I understand the "Comp-mv/Deg c/Cell" setting under Charge/T-comp on the Classic.  But I've scoured the Classic Manual for the meaning of "temp comp set point."  Any explanation would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIANk7zQ05w

ClassicCrazy

I think this is answer to your question. 

Let say you set -3mv for the temp compensation .  If it gets cold it will raise the setpoint of the absorb ( and float too I think) and that is called the temperature compensated setpoint. You see the new temperature compensated setpoint on the MNGP menu T-comp then press the top right button under View in that screen and you will see the Temp Compensated Setpoint.

You can also see if if you have Grahams android Classic Monitoring app on the Messages screen and it is called Target Battery Voltage.

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

FNG

The setpoint defaults to 25 degrees C, This is the neutral point that NO compensation will occur, as the battery falls below 25C compensation occurs in the form of higher voltage and as it rises above 25C compensation occurs int he form of lower voltage.

The "25C" is adjustable as some batteries use a different temperature as the Neutral spot.

Hope that helps
FNG

openplanet

ClassicCrazy, thanks for your reply.  I can't believe I didn't see that the value is purely for display, and not settable, which should have clued me in to the fact that it's showing the temperature compensated voltage, based on the correction factor entered.  I think it was "Set Point" that confused me, since that implies something settable, which it is in fact, but not at that exact place in the menu.

But a question remains: the menu option reads "EQ Comp?" with the choice being Yes or No. If Yes is selected and you select View, it shows me the temperature compensated Absorb voltage, not the temperature compensated Equalize voltage.  Is that just a mistake in the menu item description?  Thanks again.

ClassicCrazy

I think when you select view it will show you the temperature compensated setpoint of whatever state it is in at the time . So if the Classic is in Absorb it shows that but if it changes to Equalize or Float then it will be showing what the compensated values are for those.

And yes if you check comp Equalize - then it applies to Equalize - if unchecked then equalize will not be temperature compensated.

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

boB

Is this the voltage displayed in the VIEW sub-menu for the temp-comp menu ?

If so, another name for that, and probably better than "set point" is Target Voltage

The voltage that the Classic is trying to get the battery to at that time in the charge cycle.

At 25 degrees C (usually) it will be the same as the set point absorb, float or EQ setting.

Remember also that in the LIMITS menu, there is a high and low voltage that this target voltage
will hit and the it will stop trying to go above or below those high and lower limits from
low and high battery temperatures.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

openplanet

boB--Yes, that's the voltage I'm referring to.  And yes, I agree that the description might be better.  I'd actually think something like "Comp'd Voltage" might be good.  But that's not the only issue with that particular part of the menu, imho.  The level above this one is "EQ Comp'd" (yes/no), which implies the compensation only applies to the EQ voltage.  Thx.