Charge 48 volt battery bank by 96 volt battery bank? Possible?

Started by chromeaccent, March 21, 2018, 01:27:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chromeaccent

Hi All,

I want to charge a 700 Ah 48 volt battery bank(Forklift battery) by using a Classic 150 or 200 drawing power from a 96 volt 700 Ah(Series two 48 volt bank) battery bank, 96 volt battery bank will be charged by high voltage solar array. Is this possible or even recommended?

Thanks.

Ron Swanson

I believe we know of one person doing something similar with a 60 volt to 48 volt battery system, and as far as I know it has been working for years.  I will try to check up on this.

KyleM

Quote from: chromeaccent on March 21, 2018, 01:27:35 AM
Hi All,

I want to charge a 700 Ah 48 volt battery bank(Forklift battery) by using a Classic 150 or 200 drawing power from a 96 volt 700 Ah(Series two 48 volt bank) battery bank, 96 volt battery bank will be charged by high voltage solar array. Is this possible or even recommended?

Thanks.

Theoretically this is possible. DC current is DC current to charge controllers. As long as the voltage is high enough to trigger the MPPT charging cycle  ( 130% of 48 volts in this case = 62.5 volts)

I would probably use the Solar mode or Legacy P&O.

This does fall outside of Midnite's support parameters so if it doesn't work you will be on your own for Support.   Well I am sure you will find some people here that would be willing to help.  :-X

Good luck
Kyle M

mike90045

I recall that the Morningstar MPPT controllers are able to charge from batteries or a stiff power supply. Might be tough on it, but they claim it works
http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar

Classic 200| 2Kw PV, 160Voc | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph )| Listeroid 6/1, st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | midnight ePanel & 4 SPDs | 48V, 800A NiFe battery bank | MS-TS-MPPT60 w/3Kw PV

ClassicCrazy

I used my Midnite Kid to charge 12v battery  from 24v battery pack . It worked fine.  I don't see why the Classic wouldn't do the same thing. You can adjust the current output if you want to via settings on the Classic if you need to to keep the Classic happy ( not too hot ) .

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

chromeaccent

Thanks for your feedback guy's.
Quote from: Ron Swanson on March 21, 2018, 02:34:05 PM
I believe we know of one person doing something similar with a 60 volt to 48 volt battery system, and as far as I know it has been working for years.  I will try to check up on this.
Ron, let me know what you find.
  I will try and discuss my plans with Midnite... just in case they have another view on the matter as I don't want to risk torching a Classic.

CDN-VT

One thing I would think / do is have the 96Vdc trip a relay to feed the 48Vdc feed like solar came alive , then you know the night reset could be a timing factor to start to tune in the settings . anoter thing is the make sure the 48Vdc will not drain the 96Vdc feed , hence a breaking of input. With Amps governed to the 48Vdc.

I use a few adjustable 12Vdc Buck transformers on times , set to 14.7Vdc .

VT
Canadian Solar 350W 37.6 VOC  30.6 VMP 8.22 ISC 7.87 IMP ,-15 c +30c max  4 strings in 2 in Series for 24v Classic 150 -1020 Ah  Freezers & fridges ~~~ Second Array same panels of 3sx3 parallel for 24 V Classic 150 -440 Ah Outback Barns & out blds.
48Vdc almost done,11Strings up of 3s11P same panels

FNG

The issue is the stiff source and the fact it is not current limited like a pv module, You would want to use Hydro mode and slowly drop the fixed MPPT voltage down until you get some current flow. Also make SURE you have the current limit set to a lower value to start and get things working. Last thing I could suggest is a large 1 or 2 ohm resistor in series in the 96 volt positive line to soften it some.'

Also be aware this will void your warranty most likely

FNG

Ron Swanson

Ron, let me know what you find.
  I will try and discuss my plans with Midnite... just in case they have another view on the matter as I don't want to risk torching a Classic.
[/quote]

Sorry I forgot to update here.  Anyway I asked about it.  This was a system designed by an EE with no outside help apparently.  He has a 60V bank in the shop and a 48V bank in the house.  Apparently this was done because he ran too small of wire to the house for direct DC to be able to fill batteries in a reasonable time.  Don't ask.

Anyway it works, using an Outback CC I believe and no special hardware.  Maybe the length of wire serves to soften the stiff battery source, I don't know.