Thinking of getting an Inverter System, Pre Wired - Off Grid. Any suggestions?

Started by Greg Burton, March 25, 2018, 07:08:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg Burton

I am thinking of purchasing one of the Inverter System, Pre Wired - Off Grid (leaning more towards the Samlex MNEVO4024-CL150. I have already purchased some lithium batteries (specifically eight of SAFT lithium ion batteries at 24v and 84ah). I would like to get everything wired up this spring/summer and then as time/money allows, I want to work on the solar array (and possibly a wind turbine but that might be out of the picture). So for the time being, I want to hook this unit as a UPS which would use the grid to power the inverter until we lose power then the batteries will kick in...Basically hooking everything up but the solar part...I am assuming this can be done, I just want to verify that...

This system will eventually power a fridge, a freezer, wood burner stove, and three rooms in the house (TVs, computer, lights, etc - nothing that will draw alot)

Also, I am going 24 volts since the batteries are 24v. Should I go 48 and why?

This is going to be my 1st solar set up so that is why I am choosing a unit that is already pre-built/wired to eliminate any issues I might come across and for simplicity...

Does anybody have this particular unit or any of the other pre-wired units. How do you like it?

Thank you for your time and input!

Westbranch

Ahhhh, just which SAFT cells do you have...  I have to believe they are not the "space versions'' ...

PS,  SAFTs site is too quirky to locate specific models easily, so a link to the specs page would be best.

And I would also suspect they have a Li battery BMS too?
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

Greg Burton

It’s similar to this but it is the Synerion 24p version instead of the 48p version posted in the link below (the original website that has the batteries I have is not working):

http://aegtranzcom.com/Repository/PDF-ENERGY/Saft_Com_Synerion48M_en_0512_Protg.pdf

Each battery has the bms built in...

ClassicCrazy

There are some advantages to 48v - smaller wires to inverter , better efficiency for controller and inverter , larger PV array with one controller, and depending on your battery types - less parallel connections.

Too bad Midnite doesn't have it's new inverter out on the market yet - might be just what you are looking for.

I don't know about that particular Samlex inverter model - but I have had Samlex inverters and they were good quality and did the job.
You might want to check into the warranty on it and where that warranty is at . I did have one problem that Samlex fixed but I had to ship it to Canada and that was a bit expensive. The problem I had was most likely due to me and not the inverter.

Larry 
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

mike90045

You need to find out what the battery cycle life is.
  Batteries in a UPS only see a dozen cycles a year, batteries off grid see 300 cycles a year, and if you exceed cycle life, you have a boat anchor.
  If SAFT includes a BMS, it very likely includes a depth and cycle counter.
http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar

Classic 200| 2Kw PV, 160Voc | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph )| Listeroid 6/1, st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | midnight ePanel & 4 SPDs | 48V, 800A NiFe battery bank | MS-TS-MPPT60 w/3Kw PV

Greg Burton

Thanks for the input everyone. I don’t plan on going over 2000 watts on the solar array so I figured that 24v should suffice.

I am going to try to get a network switch rack and use that to mount the batteries since at the bottom section of the rack and then somehow mount the inverter/etc on the top half (trying to kept it simple and neat) and it will be right next to the breaker box (at least that is the plan so far).

I did see the video on the new midnite inverter but I fear it is going to be too expensive. I really like it, does anybody know of the cost and when it is coming out?

As for the saft battery, the life cycle is over 10,000 at 50% dept of discharge...

Thanks again for everyone’s input, I appreciate any feedback...

redneck rick

I have the evo 2224. The directions or website state that the evo charger is not for lithium batteries. My inverter is still in the box, has been for five months. It may be a good unit, but I consider it an expensive lesson in what not to buy.

Ron Swanson

Quote from: bur1196 on March 26, 2018, 06:21:20 AMI did see the video on the new midnite inverter but I fear it is going to be too expensive. I really like it, does anybody know of the cost and when it is coming out?

Too expensive for what?  I don't really see what the purpose of this system is.

Greg Burton

redneck rick: I actually reached out to Samlex and they got back to me saying With an upgrade, if you do not have already you should be able to support Lithium batteries. I’ve attached the 075/024 load for the product.  This load supports Lithium in most applications with 2 stage type 1 or 2, see below, as well as a input from BMS with the temperature sensor port and the Lithium vs. Lead acid profile. Then he goes on how to load that profile...

Ron Swanson: I am assuming it is like the pre-wired all in one system but not sure of the details, I guess only time will tell...

Ron Swanson

Quote from: bur1196 on March 26, 2018, 07:01:36 PMRon Swanson: I am assuming it is like the pre-wired all in one system but not sure of the details, I guess only time will tell...

My question was unclear. 

I was asking you what the purpose of your off grid system is.

I don't know if you can want lithium batteries in one sentence, but think an inverter above the bottom rung is too expensive in a different sentence.

No experience here with Samlex, nobody has them that I know.

Greg Burton

Quote from: Ron Swanson on March 26, 2018, 10:28:55 PM
Quote from: bur1196 on March 26, 2018, 07:01:36 PMRon Swanson: I am assuming it is like the pre-wired all in one system but not sure of the details, I guess only time will tell...

My question was unclear. 

I was asking you what the purpose of your off grid system is.

I don't know if you can want lithium batteries in one sentence, but think an inverter above the bottom rung is too expensive in a different sentence.

No experience here with Samlex, nobody has them that I know.

Sorry, I misunderstood...This system will eventually power a fridge, a freezer, wood burner stove, and three rooms in the house (TVs, computer, lights, etc - nothing that will draw a lot)...it’ll be as a ups until I get the solar panels (and possibly wind but we’ll see) installed later this year...

I am surprised that not many people use Samlex...

Thanks again...

Matrix

I cant understand why you would say "I don’t plan on going over 2000 watts on the solar array so I figured that 24v should suffice."   If you are going decent gear (inverter), 48v is almost the same cost,  you save on wiring and get better efficiency.  Can also get a battery bank that is 1/2 the Ah of a 24v battery bank and have the same available energy. 

I did not do 48v and wish I would have.   When my batteries give up,  I will sell my 24v and get a 48v inverter.  I could have gotten Trojan T-105s 220 Ah for about $115 locally x 8 = $920.   My L16s at 435 Ah x 4 cost me $1276.  I would have been money ahead at 48v but did not know at the time.  That savings alone would have been greater than the difference between 24v and 48v.  (and then I would not be looking for ways to keep my classic as cool because the fans run almost all the time.)
Grid-Assist Off-Grid
REC TwinPeak 2 285W 3S-3P 2565w-STC 1926w-NMOT Array / Classic 150 / Conext SW 4024 Inverter
Trojan L16H-AC 435Ah bank 4S  with 7' of 4/0 cable
24 volt system /  Need 3200Whs Daily
My System Install

ClassicCrazy

I think Samlex was originally smaller inverters that did not offer charging . Their line has expanded now. But back in the day if someone wanted a higher power inverter / charger there were just a few options that had reputation and warranty . So that is probably partly why they aren't more well known and used.

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

Matrix

Samlex was in my running and I ended up going with Schneider.  In hind sight I wish I had gone Samlex EVO series. 
Grid-Assist Off-Grid
REC TwinPeak 2 285W 3S-3P 2565w-STC 1926w-NMOT Array / Classic 150 / Conext SW 4024 Inverter
Trojan L16H-AC 435Ah bank 4S  with 7' of 4/0 cable
24 volt system /  Need 3200Whs Daily
My System Install

Greg Burton

I will be getting 24v lithium batteries (which are already ordered)...I checked and Samlex did not have a 48v inverter. I did look at Schneider and Magnum Energy but liked the Samlex better. They all have their pros and cons...