News:

To visit MidNite Solar click this link www.midnitesolar.com

Main Menu

Birdhouse rapid disconnect

Started by rustyi, March 26, 2018, 05:49:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rustyi

I’m powering a completely off-grid cabin and garage in southeast Idaho; the garage this year and the cabin possibly next year after I get it built.  I want to run a few tools here and there in the garage and have almost all my components for it that I’ve gathered over the last couple of years. Now I just need to finish it off with a rapid disconnect system. 

So far I have a Midnight Solar MNPV6 combiner/disconnect box to shut off three panels, and a Midnight Solar 250 amp panel mount breaker with remote trip to shut off the batteries to the 3000w pure sine inverter.  I have a 12v battery bank because that is what the inverter calls for. (I’m using an inverter I once had powering a bunkhouse and I don’t want to buy another one if I don’t need to.)

My questions:

What do I need to power the remote trip for the 250 amp breaker? I’ve looked at the Birdhouse and I’m pretty sure that is the solution but the literature and schematics for it are really vague. 

Can I power the Birdhouse with a small boosting transformer from 12v to 24v, or do I need to power it with 110ac from the inverter? 

What is the MNFX cable and how might that help? I read that it is used when no combiner is used by the Birdhouse.

Do I need the MNGDM power supply? 

Every other item I have for the system has very good owner’s manuals online which helped me piece things together.  But all of the documentation for the Birdhouse and related items leaves me clueless as to what I need.

Any help is greatly appreciated

FNG

Well the birdhouse is designed to satisfy 690.12 Rapid Shut Down, As such its primary goal is to disable PV wires coming from building-mounted PV. 690.12 never really intended for us to shut off the AC out of the inverter. Some like to include this as it does seem logical for the firefighters not to be dealing with AC as well.

So Can you explain the PV array and what Charge controller you are using?

Also you say MNPV6 Combiner Disconnect, can you give us the exact model #?

And is the PV mounted on the building or a ground mount?

As far as the BDM and MNEDC250-RT The BDM requires 24vdc or 48vdc and it needs to see that DC go away when the breaker opens, Typically we do not worry about 12v as it is always below the 30v limit of 690.12

The Faux Cable is used with the birdhouse when no combiners are used in the system.

Also if you can give us the make and model of the inverter we can help with the best way to disable it with the birdhouse