Bad firmware error on USB connect

Started by togulle, March 28, 2018, 03:02:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

togulle

When connecting my kid to my computer with USB I immediately got a "bootloader 2.2 bad firmware" error.
Reason seems to be USB connection disconnecting immediately. I get connected new disk drive which disconnects immediately afterwards. Then it connects again, and loops like this indefinitely.

I have tried connecting two different laptops. Both are USB 3.0. Unfortunately ain't got no USB 2.0 available should issue lie there.

Is this some known issue with known fix?
Reason to connect in first place was to get upgrade to 1860 version.

ClassicCrazy

Did that happen when you tried to do a firmware update ? Are  you using window 10 ?
Look at the firmware update page on Midnite for the Kid and there are instructions or software patch to run to make firmware update work on windows 10 .

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

ClassicCrazy

hmm - I just looked on the Midnite page and don't see those instructions any more ! I will see if I have a copy of it and post it here .

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

KyleM

We are working on a new updater for the KID.  Microsoft did a patch that does bad things when trying to use our old registry fix.

We have a work around for people until that gets done.

Go to services.msc from your start menu,  scroll down and find "Storage Service.
Right click, and select "Properties".  If it is running, click the "Stop" button.

You should be able to get your KID back into Forced download mode by powering it up while holding the SETUP button.

This "should" get  your KID to the point you can do the update.

Make sure to go back in and reactivate Storage Services.

-Kyle

ClassicCrazy

I deleted my post that had the old registry fix file - don't want anyone to mess up their computer with it !

Kyle - you should post that solution above on the Kid firmware update  page to help out those who get stuck now.

Larry
system 1
system 2
system 3
KID / Brat portable

togulle

Thanks Larry

Got things working again.
In the end had to change a USB Power Setting in Windows:
Power Options > USB Settings > USB Selective suspend setting > Disabled
Reboot and connect to KID OK!

I see now there is a new Beta Installer, so will probably aim for using that one on my next upgrade :-)

Torgeir